Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Carrying Crutches

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    I am a left AKA and have just bought an SE5.

For the parking brake I sometimes use my left hand (holding the left handlebar with the right hand), and some other times push the parking brake pedal down with the tip of my elbow-wrist crutch.

By the way..., anybody out there has ever come up with a solution to carry them crutches alongside the Spyder?
    Cheers...

(Limitations just exist on your mind)
    I have collapsable Crutches and they fit nicely on the passenger handles. Here are two shots. One of a crutch (one of two) folded and on the bike. I use simple Velcro straps to hold them in place. The second is the uncollapsed crutch, just standing next to a pillar.

Spyder Garage

Default Cool crutches...!!!

I live abroad and haven't seen that type of crutches before, but I already like them...

Not only they are collapsable, thus easy to carry on trips and also on the Spyder, but I also like the idea of the arm-pit 'loop' support, to ease the pressure on the wrists (mine are elbow-wrist type).

Are those available in any drugstore or in specialty stores? Price?

Thanks...!
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Spyder Garage

I found these. They look similar to what Star Cruiser posted and Walgreens is a major pharmacy in the U.S. If you can't get them in Venezuela, let me know. I have some friends (Venezuelans who now live in the U.S.) who I've assisted in mission work in Maracaibo and we might be able to work out a way to get these to you.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...id=prod1993358

EDIT: Looking at that crutch page further, it states that they will ship overseas. Still, if you run into a problem, let me know via PM and I'll see if my friends can help get these (or something like them) to you.
    Last edited by bjt; 07-08-2009 at 10:03 PM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I live abroad and haven't seen that type of crutches before, but I already like them...

Not only they are collapsable, thus easy to carry on trips and also on the Spyder, but I also like the idea of the arm-pit 'loop' support, to ease the pressure on the wrists (mine are elbow-wrist type).

Are those available in any drugstore or in specialty stores? Price?

Thanks...!
    It looks like bjt has found them at Walgreens. I purchased mine at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada. They Retail for $79 Cdn (I found them on sale for $59). The handles are "ergonomically molded' and are very comfortable on the wrist. The bottom part is on springs, which take a little getting used to, but nice once you do. They fit nicely in the trunk of a car and also on the Spyder.
    Last edited by Star Cruiser; 07-16-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Cool crutches...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Star Cruiser View Post
    It looks like bjt has found them at Walgreens. I purchased mine at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada. They Retail for $79 Cdn (I found them on sale for $59). The handles are "ergonomically molded' and are very comfortable on the wrist. The bottom part is on springs, which take a little getting used to, but nice once you do. They fir nicely in the trunk of a car and also on the Spyder.
    Thanks to both of you bjt and Star Cruiser, you have been way helpful and amiable.

I think I have a couple of friends here in 'cool' Maracaibo (ave. temp. 95-100°F) that may go to Florida on vacation, so I'll ask them for a favor.

I have the classic 'triangle' type crutches but since they are too bulky to carry around, I switched to the elbow-wrist type, but again those shown are really something else.

With bits and pieces from harware stores I put together a couple of brackets to safely carry my crutches. Can't upload pictures. May be later.

Cheers, JMD

"Limitations only exist in your mind..."

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Easy and cheap

I told Pilo I'd post some pics of my sticks on my Spyder. I am currently using ocky straps (bungee straps) to hold my sticks across the back of my Spyder. The hooks go onto the pannier frame.

As you can see, the sticks are not much wider than the panniers. The Spyder is 1500mm wide, and the sticks are a bit over 1000mm.

The sticks have rubbed the paint behind the seat. I'll tidy this with a paint stick when I have made a permanent mount.

Pic on Photobucket

I'll be mounting some 50mm ID PVC tube between the panniers and the frame to hold them while I'm travelling. I'll post more pics when I've finished.
    Last edited by Pogo; 01-29-2010 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Broken pic link

Spyder Garage

Default folding crutches

I bought a set of the mulenium crutches on ebay. They fold in half and are spring loaded. Very portable and comfortable.

Spyder Garage

Default did not see these already posted.

I will vouch for the mullenium crutches. I have 2 sets and they work great. I also have the egonomic cane that folds down to 2'. same company good product.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to both of you bjt and Star Cruiser, you have been way helpful and amiable.

I think I have a couple of friends here in 'cool' Maracaibo (ave. temp. 95-100°F) that may go to Florida on vacation, so I'll ask them for a favor.

I have the classic 'triangle' type crutches but since they are too bulky to carry around, I switched to the elbow-wrist type, but again those shown are really something else.

With bits and pieces from harware stores I put together a couple of brackets to safely carry my crutches. Can't upload pictures. May be later.

Cheers, JMD

"Limitations only exist in your mind..."

Here are the pics.

Saludos, Pilo

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Here are the pics.

Saludos, Pilo
    where do u put ur left foot? i need to find a place to put my hiking pole

Spyder Garage

Default Don't have one...

Quote Originally Posted by aubierules View Post
    where do u put ur left foot? i need to find a place to put my hiking pole
    Aubierules:

I am a left aka and have not used my artificial leg (yet...) when riding my SE5, so I have those pegs available to carry my crutches.

Whoever rides on the pillion seat just rest their left foot on the crutches.

Saludos, Pilo
    Last edited by Pilo; 10-08-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Forgot to attach picture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Star Cruiser View Post
    I have collapsable Crutches and they fit nicely on the passenger handles. Here are two shots. One of a crutch (one of two) folded and on the bike. I use simple Velcro straps to hold them in place. The second is the uncollapsed crutch, just standing next to a pillar.
    This may be of use to someone....
    ISCI Billy

1-800-838-9421
    www.isciride.com

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Aubierules:

I am a left aka and have not used my artificial leg (yet...) when riding my SE5, so I have those pegs available to carry my crutches.

Whoever rides on the pillion seat just rest their left foot on the crutches.

Saludos, Pilo
    got ya...thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ISCI Billy View Post
    This may be of use to someone....
    how tall is that billy..i have a hiking pole that is about 4 feet tall... i can collapse it and it will fit in my trunk...but it is a real pain gettin it open again

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

I have those same crutches. We just ordered a new RT-S and I'm hoping that the crutches will fit in the front storage. I didn't think to measure the depth of the storage while we were at the demo so I'm not sure. I could carry them in the trunk of my HD trike, may have to store them ourside on the RT-S. Oh, I'm also a left leg aka.

Dwight