Spyder Garage

Default Oil Leak revisited

Here are some pics of the only area I could find oil. Still getting a few drops every time I park it. Going to do a quick switch from the Royal Purple to the BRP 5W40 Full Synthetic - just so as not to freak my dealer out when I take it in complaining about an oil leak.

I found the 'old' BRP 5W40 Full Synthetic oil for $6.99 a quart ! Only problem is shipping wasn't cheap---- with shipping comes to around $8.50 a quart- which is a pretty good deal.

I'll post where I got that price as soon as I actually receive the oil and confirm that it is the correct oil.

Bummer is that I can't take the Spyder in for service until I get my car back ----- hit a deer over the weekend---- uggg!

Spyder Garage

Are you sure this is the likely source? Looks pretty minimal to drip repeatedly. My other question is how can it drip onto the ground from here? Are the splash pans off, or is it accumulating enough in the pans to run to the holes/edges? Are you positive it is not dripping at the drain plug? Reused/scratched/damaged crush washer will do this, and leave little trace unless you just happen to see the drop before it falls. Just tossing out possibilities for you to ponder. If I can help in some way, give me a shout.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Drip builds up on main frame - right under this area. It did also build up on the righthand splash pan - but I have since removed that. It's really strange - and is lowering my oil level enough where I have to add some every few days.

This bike is a real bugger to be able to see what is going on inside---- I always use new crush washers - and those areas of the bike are as dry as ever.

I'll poke around again as soon as my new oil comes in and I replace it.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you may have narrowed it down. That will help the dealer. Big pain on this kind of closed machine. I suppose I shouldn't gripe, though. I have ridden and owned enough road lubricators to be very familiar with oil leaks...and yours is just a baby.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Here are some pics of the only area I could find oil. Still getting a few drops every time I park it. Going to do a quick switch from the Royal Purple to the BRP 5W40 Full Synthetic - just so as not to freak my dealer out when I take it in complaining about an oil leak.

I found the 'old' BRP 5W40 Full Synthetic oil for $6.99 a quart ! Only problem is shipping wasn't cheap---- with shipping comes to around $8.50 a quart- which is a pretty good deal.

I'll post where I got that price as soon as I actually receive the oil and confirm that it is the correct oil.

Bummer is that I can't take the Spyder in for service until I get my car back ----- hit a deer over the weekend---- uggg!
    Firefly,
    I had an oil leak a while back, same as you I only had a couple drops on the garage floor each time it was parked.
    Took it to the dealer and it turned out to be the valve cover gaskets leaking! they replaced both gaskets & now no more leaks.

Good luck!

SPYMAN
    PE #2735
    RUBBER SIDE DOWN SHINY SIDE UP!!!!!!!!!!
    Never ride faster than your Angel can fly...