Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default E on display when shifting

Hey everyone,

I did a search and couldnt find to much on this topic. I have an SM5 with 1,400 miles on it. Ive noticed a few times now my bike when trying to shift up or down gears it 1. displays an E and doesnt shift at all even if im changing gears or 2. just doesnt change gears at all with not error. i usually just let out on the clutch and try again, but when i got the E 2 times the other day i figured there was an issue. Already made an appt at the dealer, just wondering if anyone else ran into this problem. thanks everyone.

Brock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 412Spyder View Post
    Hey everyone,

I did a search and couldnt find to much on this topic. I have an SM5 with 1,400 miles on it. Ive noticed a few times now my bike when trying to shift up or down gears it 1. displays an E and doesnt shift at all even if im changing gears or 2. just doesnt change gears at all with not error. i usually just let out on the clutch and try again, but when i got the E 2 times the other day i figured there was an issue. Already made an appt at the dealer, just wondering if anyone else ran into this problem. thanks everyone.

Brock

I have an SM5 and the only time I get an 'E' is when I shut the spyder off in reverse; when I start it the next time the 'E' appears. The 'E' goes away when the reverse lever pops back into place.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    Hi there... I've also experienced the identical error code behaviour on the SM5 when turning off the Spyder in reverse as well as when starting it up. Would this have anything to do with the Gear Position Sensor?
    Bingo. See: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=7831
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks alot for posting this... i did find this one night ( doing my 4a.m. searches for random stuff ), but forgot to bookmark it. i told them with other people and the shiftsensor and the tech said thats the first thing he was going to look at. hopefully it threw a code or 2 so i can get this done under warranty...

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

E error plus Check Engine light = Bad GPS; dealer need to replace the GPS and with B.U.D.S to reconfigure the ECM.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Thanks alot for posting this... i did find this one night ( doing my 4a.m. searches for random stuff ), but forgot to bookmark it. i told them with other people and the shiftsensor and the tech said thats the first thing he was going to look at. hopefully it threw a code or 2 so i can get this done under warranty...
    Sometimes they don't leave a code (mine didn't)... just garbage bits into the CanBus bit-stream.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think if you get the "E" but not the check engine light, then it may be in between gears or not fully in gear. I seem to remember it happening with mine a while back.

Spyder Garage

if you miss a shift it well bring up a ( E ) where you see what gear you are in the dealer well put the buds on it and well fix for free . had it happen on mine when over heated and miss shifted shut it down 10 min it was gone went to dealer he put it on buds and fixed it for me ,

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    I think if you get the "E" but not the check engine light, then it may be in between gears or not fully in gear. I seem to remember it happening with mine a while back.
    it happen to mine too.