Thread: Leftovers

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Leftovers

Have three #30 torx screws left over after sweaty fly-annoyed session with Spyder in garage.

Goal was to install recommended coil ground wires, stripped off a bunch of body panels using handy little B&D rechargeable screw gun until I could see grounding point on frame around steering post. Reason for this operation is that the engine has been idling and running subtly substandard for the past coupla hundred miles and I've tried SeaFoam with no effect. I'm running a Hindle, Evoluzione air filter with no airbox mods, and the O2 sensor eliminator, which has run OK up till now, looked at rear plug (light tan) and inside of exhaust shows no sign of over rich conditions.

Dropped 10 mm combination wrench into Spyder's belly (I have Parkinson's Disease and sometimes my left hand doesn't work that well, not an excuse, just a contributing factor) and spent more than an hour cussing and stripping off more panels till I glimpsed wrench lying in belly pan, pulled out with telescoping pencil magnet, a tool I have used more than almost any other in my well-stocked workshop.

Walked away from job muttering to myself last night to cool off and have dinner, had wife hold grounding bolt nut nut me this morning and re-installed body panels. Now I've got three screws left over.

I'm a little back sore and have no intention of removing all these body panels today to find out what I've missed. Perused shop manual to get an idea of what I omitted, have no idea. I reckon it's safe to ride to July Fourth party tonight, getting ready to test drive results right now,
    I'm taking the screws with me as well as the little screwdriver just in case the ride reveals my omission.

This vehicle's a bastard to work on, but having the electric screwdriver does speed up the process.

Don't mind me, I'm just venting.

Happy Fourth.

Spyder Garage

This sounds like how I spent my day off.

If i'm right 2 of those screws might come from where the two black panels goin up. The out side has 2 screws joining the panels. But under the plastic is a spot for the third to go in the middle.

I was working on my wife's last night and found this long skinny screw in the belly pan. I spent an hour looking for where it came from.

I still don't know where it should go .

Spyder Garage

I work on mine and two friends spyders here in Fl and have found several extra screws,body clips,and plastic rivits while working on them.

Spyder Garage

Its a lot better to work on than some of the ATVs I've had in the past. Only takes about ten minutes to get all the plastic off. I gotta say its a bit like a "bucket a chicken guts" under the covers though.
    Andrew Gaze
    2008 Full Moon SM5 PE#979

I am one very happy owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That is why I try to be very organized when I take the panels off. I put the panel down and the crews and rivets that were holding it right next to it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post
    That is why I try to be very organized when I take the panels off. I put the panel down and the crews and rivets that were holding it right next to it.
    IMHO...just throw 'em in a bowl or plastic container. All of the screws are the same... and all of the rivets are the same.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    IMHO...just throw 'em in a bowl or plastic container. All of the screws are the same... and all of the rivets are the same.

There's a method to my madness!

Spyder Garage

...except for the one short screw on the under fender panel, at the tip near the taillights. Just have to be methodical putting them back in. I suspect your missing ones are the more hidden rascals...rear of the long side panel, or Y-panel under the trunk lid. Also double check the right side pod, since that will hold in place partially with just the tabs. Good luck in your search.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ...except for the one short screw on the under fender panel, at the tip near the taillights. Just have to be methodical putting them back in. I suspect your missing ones are the more hidden rascals...rear of the long side panel, or Y-panel under the trunk lid. Also double check the right side pod, since that will hold in place partially with just the tabs. Good luck in your search.
    -Scotty
    Never noticed... but I can guaranty it makes no difference with all of the times I've had my plastic on/off (20+?). The chances that I unintentionally got the short one in the right spot is nil.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ground effects

Thanks for the sympathetic responses, went riding with friends today with spare screws in pocket and noting came off. Regrounding coil to radiator and frame seems to have a positive effect on engine manage for some strange reason, the engine seemed to run a little better and I was flogging the hell out of it. The Ducati and Honda CBR1000 Repsol replica that stayed ahead of me were probably taking it easy on me, the last stretch of the backroad trip they up and left. I stayed ahead of another Duck (cautiously ridden by my dentist) and a HD Road King and an old Beemer R100RT. Actually, the RT and the Spyder were a good match if you want to make the apple/orange 2-wheel/3-wheel comparo. The rider was an old experienced guy like yours truly and he kept up with me in the turns and vice-versa. Both of us had about the same passing power and uphill acceleration, the Spyder's strength was its ability to ignore suspicious surfaces, while the BMW's was its need for less of the road. Good ride. Now I'm gonna nap, I'll worry about the freaking screws some other time.

Spyder Garage

Default 3 screws

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Denzer View Post
    Have three #30 torx screws left over after sweaty fly-annoyed session with Spyder in garage.

Goal was to install recommended coil ground wires, stripped off a bunch of body panels using handy little B&D rechargeable screw gun until I could see grounding point on frame around steering post. Reason for this operation is that the engine has been idling and running subtly substandard for the past coupla hundred miles and I've tried SeaFoam with no effect. I'm running a Hindle, Evoluzione air filter with no airbox mods, and the O2 sensor eliminator, which has run OK up till now, looked at rear plug (light tan) and inside of exhaust shows no sign of over rich conditions.

Dropped 10 mm combination wrench into Spyder's belly (I have Parkinson's Disease and sometimes my left hand doesn't work that well, not an excuse, just a contributing factor) and spent more than an hour cussing and stripping off more panels till I glimpsed wrench lying in belly pan, pulled out with telescoping pencil magnet, a tool I have used more than almost any other in my well-stocked workshop.

Walked away from job muttering to myself last night to cool off and have dinner, had wife hold grounding bolt nut nut me this morning and re-installed body panels. Now I've got three screws left over.

I'm a little back sore and have no intention of removing all these body panels today to find out what I've missed. Perused shop manual to get an idea of what I omitted, have no idea. I reckon it's safe to ride to July Fourth party tonight, getting ready to test drive results right now,
    I'm taking the screws with me as well as the little screwdriver just in case the ride reveals my omission.

This vehicle's a bastard to work on, but having the electric screwdriver does speed up the process.

Don't mind me, I'm just venting.

Happy Fourth.
    JUST THREE---THAT DON'T SOUND TO BAD. If they are important you will know very soon; if not you will know eventually, either way all will be ok.

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Never noticed... but I can guaranty it makes no difference with all of the times I've had my plastic on/off (20+?). The chances that I unintentionally got the short one in the right spot is nil.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Same here. I know have the same length screws in all the positions of the undertail pan. I'm not sure where the shorter screw could have gone off to or what other panel it now helps hold in place.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Same here. I know have the same length screws in all the positions of the undertail pan. I'm not sure where the shorter screw could have gone off to or what other panel it now helps hold in place.
    Well, the shorter screw is a pain in the tush to get started without a couple of extra hands. Long ones sound like a good move if they don't interfere with anything. I'll replace the short stinker next time I have it out.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Found them!

Missing torx fasteners went to inside of front scooped-for-foglights panels and inside of right lower side panel.