Thread: LED VOLTAGE

Spyder Garage

Default LED VOLTAGE

Can abybody tell me if LEDs are voltage sensitive ? I know ( or used to anyway) that light bulbs are 12 or six volt.

I have several old "string lights" and others that had two A A battteries that worked them. I believe the batterys were in series.

Could I hook them to 12 volts with frying something ???

Old Man Zues

Spyder Garage

Default LED'S

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    Can abybody tell me if LEDs are voltage sensitive ? I know ( or used to anyway) that light bulbs are 12 or six volt.

I have several old "string lights" and others that had two A A battteries that worked them. I believe the batterys were in series.

Could I hook them to 12 volts with frying something ???

Old Man Zues
    Two series AA batteries would be only 3 vdc. I don't think you could increase the voltage by 4x without burning the diodes out.IMHO!

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Magic Man knows more about this than I do but I'm sure that LED lighting packages are voltage sensitive. The circuitry included in the LED lights or the material the LEDs are constructed out of determines what input voltage is needed to operate the lights. Hooking up a 5 volt LED light to a 12 volt circuit might immediately blow the light, cause it to fail prematurely or it might work just fine.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Magic Man knows more about this than I do but I'm sure that LED lighting packages are voltage sensitive. The circuitry included in the LED lights or the material the LEDs are constructed out of determines what input voltage is needed to operate the lights. Hooking up a 5 volt LED light to a 12 volt circuit might immediately blow the light, cause it to fail prematurely or it might work just fine.

The trying to make a thing do something it's not made to do is called R&D.

But, sometimes the "D" is for destruction!

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]