Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Please Help (I can't figure out how to install comfort seat)

So I have the Sport Rack / BRP Backrest installed.

I removed the piston, but now I am stuck on removing the seat. I have removed the four bolts connecting the sport rack so it has a bit of play in it now.

Do I just remove the two horizontal bolts holding the seat to base? I can't really see how to get in there with the sport rack still on. Or do I remove the whole base unit from the frame and then remount the base on the new seat?

Thanks for help,
    -Reinyn

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Reinyn View Post
    So I have the Sport Rack / BRP Backrest installed.

I removed the piston, but now I am stuck on removing the seat. I have removed the four bolts connecting the sport rack so it has a bit of play in it now.

Do I just remove the two horizontal bolts holding the seat to base? I can't really see how to get in there with the sport rack still on. Or do I remove the whole base unit from the frame and then remount the base on the new seat?

Thanks for help,
    -Reinyn
    There are two rear seat bolts that go through the rear seat mounting bracket and a third nut that goes on a bolt that is in the middle of the seat bracket. Remove those and with the sport rack bolts loose, the whole seat will come off. The difficult part is getting enough clearance so that the seat bracket can clear that third bolt that feeds up through the bottom.

Spyder Garage

I just slid the base for the back rest as far back as I could get it to go. It will move quite a ways if you work at it a little. The directions that came with the seat are actually pretty good to help you along. Wedge the seat open and reach back in there and remove the 2 bolts and one nut (center back) to remove old seat and install new one. good luck.

Spyder Garage

Since a socket wrench won't clear the underside or the back side of the seat, I went out and bought wrenches with a ratchet built into them. Made all the difference... and I saved 4 knuckles
    Happy Spyder Owner - 2008 Millennium Yellow PE #2475
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    Since a socket wrench won't clear the underside or the back side of the seat, I went out and bought wrenches with a ratchet built into them. Made all the difference... and I saved 4 knuckles
    So true. Socket won't work. I used open end and it took about as long as if I would have run to Sears to get a set of ratcheting box end wrenches. It's your choice, save time and knuckles or save money.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You guys are awesome, the old seat is off!

I have one more question. How do I get the latch mechanism off the old seat? (My seat didn't come with directions btw) Does the bolt just unscrew from the square black piece?

Thanks,
    -Reinyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Reinyn View Post
    You guys are awesome, the old seat is off!

I have one more question. How do I get the latch mechanism off the old seat? (My seat didn't come with directions btw) Does the bolt just unscrew from the square black piece?

Thanks,
    -Reinyn
    Loosen the two lock nuts using a 13 mm wrench, then back the latch bolt out with a 10 mm open end wrench. You may have to hold the plastic piece that has the captured locknut. If you had no instructions, were you missing all the hardware, too? The locknuts are usually good for another round, but replace them if you have new. The bolts and seat sensor screws will need some Loctite for a second round, to be safe. PM me with your email if you want me to scan the instructions for you.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Easiest way I found - remove the three bolts holding on the bottom of the sport rack cover, remove the 4 large bolts holding the sport rack down and remove it.

Remove the nut holding the piston to the seat. THEN lift the seat up, unplug the passenger seat switch connector, then fold the seat way back and you can get to the 3 bolts (2 hex one torx) that hold the seat on easily with a ratchet/socket or even an impact wrench/drill driver.

Swap out the seat switch and the latch end and re-assembly is the reverse.

Warning - when screwing in the torx bolt on the rear of the seat bracket, make sure the sport rack release cable doesn't get stuck under the bottom threaded end of the bolt (take it from my experience, it's a pain). Just push it to one side and it will be out of the way... I didn't and mangled the sheath of the cable.
    Last edited by QuadManiac; 07-03-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    '08 SE5 #123 - Red - F1 Slider - BRP Comfort Seat - Spyder City 3" Riser

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It is done!

Thanks guys, getting the latch to line up was a PITA, but I have it now.

I really appreciate the help, this is a great site.

I went through the shipping box (ordered from Mike) and there was no hardware or instructions, so I'm not sure what is up with that,