Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Winter Blend Oil

C&C Sports in Brighton, MI sold me oil for my 600 mile oil change. While I was putting in the 3rd qt I noticed it said "winter blend" on the side. I called the dealer and they said they called BRP and was told it was ok to use in the summer. After many phone calls to the dealer I finally got a hold of the owner of the store. He proceeded to belittle me and tell me that I am not an engineer and I do not know anything about oil. Does anyone else agree that "winter blend" is ok for 90 degree day riding? It is the BRP brand oil. Oh and before you ask, I did buy this and one other Spyder from this dealer this year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikingrob View Post
    C&C Sports in Brighton, MI sold me oil for my 600 mile oil change. While I was putting in the 3rd qt I noticed it said "winter blend" on the side. I called the dealer and they said they called BRP and was told it was ok to use in the summer. After many phone calls to the dealer I finally got a hold of the owner of the store. He proceeded to belittle me and tell me that I am not an engineer and I do not know anything about oil. Does anyone else agree that "winter blend" is ok for 90 degree day riding? It is the BRP brand oil. Oh and before you ask, I did buy this and one other Spyder from this dealer this year.
    WOW, you bought two spyders from him and he made you feel dumb...not cool. I see a new dealer soon.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The problem with the new BRP syn/blend is that neither the summer or winter blend actually gives a viscosity range. That is totally inconsistent with the Owners Guide and any other oil you can buy. I also bought at C&C, but since it is 60 miles away, I have been buying BRP full syn oil from my local Sea Doo dealer and doing my own oil changes. He will soon run out of the full syn, but I have bought a case so I am a few changes ahead. Not happy to hear about the owner's remarks. My 600 mile service went OK, but that was when they still used the full syn oil. They did deny that the muffler burn spot was a valid warranty issue and happily sold me the muffler deflector to cover it. Hope to get more info about Groves Motorsports in Mason since they are the closest dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    The problem with the new BRP syn/blend is that neither the summer or winter blend actually gives a viscosity range. That is totally inconsistent with the Owners Guide and any other oil you can buy. I also bought at C&C, but since it is 60 miles away, I have been buying BRP full syn oil from my local Sea Doo dealer and doing my own oil changes. He will soon run out of the full syn, but I have bought a case so I am a few changes ahead. Not happy to hear about the owner's remarks. My 600 mile service went OK, but that was when they still used the full syn oil. They did deny that the muffler burn spot was a valid warranty issue and happily sold me the muffler deflector to cover it. Hope to get more info about Groves Motorsports in Mason since they are the closest dealer.

From a technical and legal standpoint, neither the BRP summer or winter blended oils meet the requirements for the Spyder - so I won't be using them. BRP needs to release a statement about this change to a blend.

I'm on RP 10w40 right now, but will be switching to something else soon - a 5W40 full Syn as called for in the manual.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation OIL

Quote Originally Posted by bikingrob View Post
    I personally would not use the BRP oil at all. Go buy a good all synthetic motorcycle oil that is certified for motorcycles and not necessarily cars. (different demands and different ratings);That is: JASCO MA.(The only certification for motorcycles). I use Mobil 1 motorcycle oil 10W40. Look on the back of the oil container and if it doesn't say "meets or exceeds all requirements of JASCO MA"; It isn't motorcycle oil. That is not to sat that some car oil will do fine in a motorcycle (most now days won't) but if you don't know always just look for the motorcycle certification and you can't go wrong.

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Default OIL

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    I personally would not use the BRP oil at all. Go buy a good all synthetic motorcycle oil that is certified for motorcycles and not necessarily cars. (different demands and different ratings);That is: JASCO MA.(The only certification for motorcycles). I use Mobil 1 motorcycle oil 10W40. Look on the back of the oil container and if it doesn't say "meets or exceeds all requirements of JASCO MA"; It isn't motorcycle oil. That is not to sat that some car oil will do fine in a motorcycle (most now days won't) but if you don't know always just look for the motorcycle certification and you can't go wrong.
    I wouldn't worry about the weight to much, the difference in a 5W oil and a 10W oil is only in the EXTREME cold operaitng ranger of well below 0 degrees F.
    A 5 weight oil will flow a little faster than a 10 weight oil in extremely cold conditions.

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

From a technical and legal standpoint, neither the BRP summer or winter blended oils meet the requirements for the Spyder - so I won't be using them. BRP needs to release a statement about this change to a blend.

I'm on RP 10w40 right now, but will be switching to something else soon - a 5W40 full Syn as called for in the manual.
    Why the switch from RP?
    Dick