Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Seeking Helmet Hedset Recommendations

Now that my wife and I both have our own bikes, we're looking for the ideal headset solution. It would include:
    • Voice-actuated for hands-free bike-to-bike talking
    • Speakers for both ears because I am hard of hearing
    • Flat microphones that fit inside full-face helmets
    • Bluetooth so we can each receive calls from our
      respective cell phones, hands-free
    • Everything attached to the helmets...no external
      belt- or bike-mounted radios with wires running
      to the helmets
    Does such a solution exist? If so, are you happy with its performance?
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

You need something like what Scotty has. I forget the brand (Starcom or Autocom?) but I think it meets all your requirements. We would have gone with that but we got financially locked into J&M while trying to put together a communication system on a budget and find it hard to turn away from a $300 headset investment.

Spyder Garage

Starcom and Autocom are wired systems. If you want no wires you have to go bluetooth. Reviews of what is out there can be found at www.webbikeworld.com Happy shopping. Thanks for your economic stimulus.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    Now that my wife and I both have our own bikes, we're looking for the ideal headset solution. It would include:
    • Voice-actuated for hands-free bike-to-bike talking
    • Speakers for both ears because I am hard of hearing
    • Flat microphones that fit inside full-face helmets
    • Bluetooth so we can each receive calls from our
      respective cell phones, hands-free
    • Everything attached to the helmets...no external
      belt- or bike-mounted radios with wires running
      to the helmets
    Does such a solution exist? If so, are you happy with its performance?
    Gary, check out the Cardo Scala Rider Q2:

http://www.cardowireless.com/Q2

Personally, I have an Autocom system which I really like, but it is hard wired, so it would not fit your requirements. I have heard some pretty good things about the Cardo bluetooth system.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I went with the camos 200 paired to my zumo 550, I get phone;mp3;& xm in stereo.I did have to purchase a dongle (not a dirty word) separtely to make it all stereo.
    Look up benchmark helmets they walked me through every thing
    Hope this helps,
    Wayne

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Scala Rider

I have the Scala Rider Q2 setup and like it, although pricey. Started with Scala Rider Rider/Passenger setup and it works okay for two-up riding but not very versatile and the passenger version will not sync with the Q2. The Rider tx unit has a "green" dot on it and the passenger has the "yellow" dot. Bluetooth works with Rider & passenger can be allowed into the conversation at the Rider's will.

Ended up with the Scala Rider Q2 (orange dot). Its good for bike-to-bike (1500 ft range) or two-up. Does everything you require and also, has a built in FM radio. You can buy them in pairs or individually but there is no price break for the pair ($199 for single, $399 for pair). Battery charge last, at least, 7 or 8 hours. The Q2 set cost about $100 more than the Rider/Passenger set. A maximum of three of the Q2's can be sync'd to talk to each other.

Z

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

My wife hits me on the head if she needs bathroom break 1 hit tinkle and two hits the other . What other communication could you need

Spyder Garage

We have used Starcom1 for several years, and immediately outfitted the Spyder with one. The speakers and the microphone are real nice, but they are wired. We have never had trouble with the VOX (voice activated) comms in intercom mode on the BMW, but the Spyder posed a new challenge bike-to-bike. It is a windy machine with the stock windshield, and the noise level was such that the threshold for the VOX had to be turned up so high that communications was spotty. We will buy PTT switches in the Spring. Beyond that it does allow you to answer the phone (with auto answer), or listen to your MP3 player and/or GPS. The background music mutes when any of the inputs are active...voice, phone, GPS, or radio. The noise reduction on the Starcom1 is excellent! Better than Autocom to my ear. Variable as the background noise rises at speed, too. If you can't come up with a wireless solution, one of the wired comm units may suit your needs.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I second both Zackbilly's and SpyderJim's replies.

I have the Scala teamset and it works fine, although limited to rider/passenger communication, which we have found that we do not really need ( see SpyderJim's reply)...

Scala connects via Bluetooth to my GPS. The new Audio link for it will provide the stereo input for my XM.

If I had to do it again, I'd have waited for the Q2, but at the time the Q2 wan't out and insurance $ was burning a whole in my pocket...

Spyderjim, where is you in NE PA? Although I'm in Sacto CA now, I'll be out in UnionDale this summer after my cross-country trip.

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies...the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 Multiset is just what we need! http://www.cardowireless.com/MultiSet $513.73 from Cardo, $250-$300 from Amazon, other US vendors have it too.

SpyderJim - Banging on the helmet won't work, we're on separate bikes.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    My wife hits me on the head if she needs bathroom break 1 hit tinkle and two hits the other . What other communication could you need
    Hmm, how about "Deer on the right!"? My wife Gail sometimes spots the wood rats before I do, and when she does, calls out a warning.

I also really enjoy being able to chat with her about some of the interesting sights on our trips. Just helps pass the time, and makes our journeys that much more enjoyable.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Director View Post
    Hmm, how about "Deer on the right!"? My wife Gail sometimes spots the wood rats before I do, and when she does, calls out a warning.

I also really enjoy being able to chat with her about some of the interesting sights on our trips. Just helps pass the time, and makes our journeys that much more enjoyable.

Bruce
    Bruce, I feel this way, too. When we were riding two-up, the intercom was one of the best things we ever bought. Very enjoyable trips that way. I'm hoping if we get the PTT switches to make our bike-to-bike more reliable, that will go well, too. Unfortunately, communications is not as "instant" with the radios added to the system, no matter what.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zackybilly1 View Post
    You can buy them in pairs or individually but there is no price break for the pair ($199 for single, $399 for pair).

Z
    It's actually sort of a reverse price break, isn't it? It will actually cost you one dollar more to order a pair than two singles!

But then, as the great Yogi Berra once said, "A nickel isn't worth a dime today."

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)

Registered Users Country Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cardo Scala Rider Q2 Question...

all, pardon my ignorance, but will the q2 fit in the Can-am (or should i say scorpion) GSX-2 Helmet or do is there a better option?

My requirements:

Wireless
    Bluetooth (want to talk on the phone if needed)
    FM radio

as always thanks for the help!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy Spyder View Post
    all, pardon my ignorance, but will the q2 fit in the Can-am (or should i say scorpion) GSX-2 Helmet or do is there a better option?

My requirements:

Wireless
    FM radio

its not helmet specific so i'm sure it will. I have a scorpion helmet and use the Chatterbox XBI for this purpose but possibly changing to the Q2 and try it out.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zackybilly1 View Post
    I have the Scala Rider Q2 setup and like it, although pricey. Started with Scala Rider Rider/Passenger setup and it works okay for two-up riding but not very versatile and the passenger version will not sync with the Q2. The Rider tx unit has a "green" dot on it and the passenger has the "yellow" dot. Bluetooth works with Rider & passenger can be allowed into the conversation at the Rider's will.

Ended up with the Scala Rider Q2 (orange dot). Its good for bike-to-bike (1500 ft range) or two-up. Does everything you require and also, has a built in FM radio. You can buy them in pairs or individually but there is no price break for the pair ($199 for single, $399 for pair). Battery charge last, at least, 7 or 8 hours. The Q2 set cost about $100 more than the Rider/Passenger set. A maximum of three of the Q2's can be sync'd to talk to each other.

Z
    On the spyder general discussion thread it gives the website to purchase Scala Rider Q2 two pack for $240.
    http://www.jcmotors.com/p-13470-card...municator.aspx
    Last edited by wyliec; 04-05-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: update

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy Spyder View Post

My requirements:

Wireless
    FM radio

Yes. I have it on my GSX-2.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the Multi Set and it works like a charm. They will fit any helmet that I have with exception to my skull cap of course. Half or full. Had a few issues with the half and the wind noise would activate it. We covered the front part and it was good to go. Full helmets, even my customers have no idea I am on a bike when they call.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We currently use the BlueAnt Interphone. They're blue tooth and work great for bike to bike or driver to passenger. You can also talk on your cell phone.

They mount to any helmet and with additional mounts they are easily switched between different helmets.

You can find them for around $119.00 each.

Spyder Garage

Default seeking helmet headset recommendations

The Vemar Jiano bluetooth helmet meets all of your wishes. It pairs with GPS, Cell Phone, and you and your passanger (or a nearby rider) with the same helmet can talk. It also will work with MP3 player. I just bought one and they are expensive ($500), but very high tech.
    It comes ready to use-just charge the bluetooth battery.

Spyder Garage

I have a J&m bluetooth headset

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....77EDR-FL&PF=30

I started with a scala Q2 but no support for a2dp, had to wire in my iphone for music and the speakers suck.

The J&M has great speakers, supports a2dp connections also and can use a wired setup to the passenger. I don't ride with passengers much so I can use an inexpensive wired headset on my passenger helmet.

it paired up with my iphone with no problems and now I can listen to mp3s or on my way to work Pandora..

I put my Iphone in a ram aqua box and have tomtom app for it to do GPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    how much did you pay for this setup?
    CD.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scala is releasing the G4 which has the a2dp(stereo) very soon. It's already available for pre order on several sites now.
    Dick
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

I have a Collett set up. It works great. Bluetooth stereo, and they're completely waterproof.
    Longlegs rides again.

Spyder Garage

Default Blue Ant

I love, love, love my Blue Ant headsets. They don't have dual speakers for your helmet, but they meet all of your other requirements. Plus they work with your GPS, or cellphone. You can talk to one another and if you get a call you can switch to talk to the caller by touching a button on your helmet. You can also easily swap them from one helmet to another. I wear open face while my DH wears full face. He has no problems hearing me even with the increased wind noise from my open face helmet. I highly recommend them and the price difference also makes them a great deal.
    Victoria