Thread: SPYDER TIE-DOWN

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER TIE-DOWN

I just bought a new "toy hauler" and plan on traveling with my babies. Is there a "correct" way to tie her down. Where are the difinate no, no's to attach the straps. Should I chock the wheels? There will be an Indian Chief beside her. My RV (Raptor, 40FT) has a 9X14 garage with a diamond deck (rubber covered) floor.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TwinPeaks View Post
    I just bought a new "toy hauler" and plan on traveling with my babies. Is there a "correct" way to tie her down. Where are the difinate no, no's to attach the straps. Should I chock the wheels? There will be an Indian Chief beside her. My RV (Raptor, 40FT) has a 9X14 garage with a diamond deck (rubber covered) floor.
    There are instructions for tying it down in the Operator's Guide. A copy of the manual is linked on the SpyderLovers home page. Basically, you tie the Spyder down using soft-ties through the wheels, and tie-down straps. I use wheel chocks. I just got some cheap plastic chocks at Walmart and put EZ-Loc anchors in the floor so I could screw them down with wingbolts, yet remove them when we camp. The trailer is our home away from home. I cross strap the rear with two tiedowns, since it seems to wander less that way. I have successfully snugged the rear down using soft-ties on the grab bars, but the bars are plastic and easy to break, plus the rubbery outer coating is easy to damage with your ties. I prefer using the rear wheel if I have room. I can get the Spyder and two vintage bikes in my 7'x 12' V-nose. I have even hauled my BMW R75/5 as one of the vintage bikes, but have not tried my larger R1100RT. You should be able to manage with the Spyder and the Chief. HDXBones has hauled the Spyder and his Harley in their toybox, so he may have some advice.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    There are instructions for tying it down in the Operator's Guide. A copy of the manual is linked on the SpyderLovers home page. Basically, you tie the Spyder down using soft-ties through the wheels, and tie-down straps. I use wheel chocks. I just got some cheap plastic chocks at Walmart and put EZ-Loc anchors in the floor so I could screw them down with wingbolts, yet remove them when we camp. The trailer is our home away from home. I cross strap the rear with two tiedowns, since it seems to wander less that way. I have successfully snugged the rear down using soft-ties on the grab bars, but the bars are plastic and easy to break, plus the rubbery outer coating is easy to damage with your ties. I prefer using the rear wheel if I have room. I can get the Spyder and two vintage bikes in my 7'x 12' V-nose. I have even hauled my BMW R75/5 as one of the vintage bikes, but have not tried my larger R1100RT. You should be able to manage with the Spyder and the Chief. HDXBones has hauled the Spyder and his Harley in their toybox, so he may have some advice.
    -Scotty
    may suggest some super loops to keep tye down hooks away had to have a wrecker take mine today to dealer but I tied it down for driver my coolant reservoir (bottle) had a massive stroke last night

Spyder Garage

When I hauled mine, I used 3 ratcheting ribbon tie downs - rated for 700 lbs.

One for each front wheel and one for the back.
    Besides feeding it through the wheel spokes, I wrapped it around the wheel and hooked it on the other side. So the wheel and rim where in a loop. Snugging it up took more care, but when it was done, the Spyder did not budge an inch side to side or forward or back for over 500 miles.

Of course, set the parking brake before you tie it down.

Take it easy for the first 10 to 20 miles or so, then stop and check the tie downs. Mine were new and needed to be snugged up again, but were fine for the rest of the trip.

On the trailer I had, the tie down anchors were about a foot and a half to two feet in front of the front tires and behind the rear tire, so there was tension pulling it forward and backward. With the parking brake off, three of us could not budge it forward or back.

I had chocks, like Scotty mentioned, but since it was a rented trailer and the Spyder was stable, I didn't screw them into the bed and use them.

If you need pics, let me know and I will post some.

Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    When I hauled mine, I used 3 ratcheting ribbon tie downs - rated for 700 lbs.

One for each front wheel and one for the back.
    Besides feeding it through the wheel spokes, I wrapped it around the wheel and hooked it on the other side. So the wheel and rim where in a loop. Snugging it up took more care, but when it was done, the Spyder did not budge an inch side to side or forward or back for over 500 miles.

Of course, set the parking brake before you tie it down.

Take it easy for the first 10 to 20 miles or so, then stop and check the tie downs. Mine were new and needed to be snugged up again, but were fine for the rest of the trip.

On the trailer I had, the tie down anchors were about a foot and a half to two feet in front of the front tires and behind the rear tire, so there was tension pulling it forward and backward. With the parking brake off, three of us could not budge it forward or back.

I had chocks, like Scotty mentioned, but since it was a rented trailer and the Spyder was stable, I didn't screw them into the bed and use them.

If you need pics, let me know and I will post some.

Tom
    If you still have the pictures I would like to see them im towing the spyder for the first time

Spyder Garage

I have put a spyder and two good sized cruiser bikes in my toy hauler, but I have a little more room since I don't have a specific garage. The spyder goes in the kitchen. I don't like to tie off to the front tires unless you have a straight pull on them. If you pull at angles I feel it will damage you front suspension. I tie off to the frame under the spyder. Depending on your cargo the ties never seem to be in the right place for spyders. Just don't get your straps pushing up against anything that might break or scratch easily.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.