Spyder Garage

Default CHECKING COOLANT LEVEL

Does anyone have a fool proof way of checking the coolant level on the Spyder? I did read a thread about using a flashlight but even then I cannot be sure of where the level really is. The problem seems to be that a shadow is cast on the overflow tank by the back edge of the trunk/frame and the shadow falls right at the full mark on the tank. I have bounced the front end in hopes of detecting some movement of the liquid, but still am not sure of what I think I see. There has got to be a better and less subjective way to check this. Does anyone have the same problem?

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    Does anyone have a fool proof way of checking the coolant level on the Spyder? I did read a thread about using a flashlight but even then I cannot be sure of where the level really is. The problem seems to be that a shadow is cast on the overflow tank by the back edge of the trunk/frame and the shadow falls right at the full mark on the tank. I have bounced the front end in hopes of detecting some movement of the liquid, but still am not sure of what I think I see. There has got to be a better and less subjective way to check this. Does anyone have the same problem?
    Flashlight trick works for me, even with the auxiliary fuse block in front of the coolant tank. I did have to use a small diameter Maglite and move it around until it was just right.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the same problem with checking the coolant level. I can usually find it if i get down to eye level and rock it back and forth then i'm generally able to see the level move or not move if its way to low.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yep I have a problem too with seeing the level. I tried the small mag-lite and that works pretty good. First time I added some I overfilled it and used a syringe to get it out and down to level. I use the real heavy green anti-freeze straight when adding liquid and at least I can see that in the overflow tank. Only added about a half pint in 4000 mi8les so far. Bill

Spyder Garage

I will add this, although I have never added any coolant I believe you can not (or should not) add just any coolant.. Now having said this, I maybe wrong, I know with my 2 wheeler motorcycle it has to be silicone free and I use Havaline from Auto Zone... Just a fast comment in-case it fits the spyder.. Any thoughts here NancysToy?

Just thought I would threw that out there..

Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xpeschon View Post
    I will add this, although I have never added any coolant I believe you can not (or should not) add just any coolant.. Now having said this, I maybe wrong, I know with my 2 wheeler motorcycle it has to be silicone free and I use Havaline from Auto Zone... Just a fast comment in-case it fits the spyder.. Any thoughts here NancysToy?

Just thought I would threw that out there..

Joe
    I go with the BRP recommendations. They say 50:50 ethylene glycol antifreeze & distilled water mixture, "suitable for use in aluminum engines." It will say that on the label.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I Knew you would come back with the correct info, Thanks brother... So I'm thinking maybe the green stuff will work..

Joe

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Coolant level

Well, I figured out why I could not find the coolant level in the overflow tank. It didn't have any in it So after filling it up to the line with some Prestone 50/50 all is OK. I find that it is a lot easier to find the level now.

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

You want to use a 50/50 mix. Straight anti freeze does not conduct heat as well as water. 50/50 mix gets the best freeze protection and best cooling. A case of where more is not necessarily better.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

I have to get some antifreeze...what is everyone using. Is the prestone 50/50 okay. I believe it is for aluminum engines or do I need to use dex-cool or prestone xtreme sport motorcycle. I guess I can just go to dealer but easier to get something at the auto store.

Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's just anti-freeze, the green stuff.....they're pretty much all aluminum compatible nowadays.