Spyder Garage

Default Ticking sound in the front right wheel

I've had a ticking sound in the right front that seems to be brake related. It seems to tick from 3 to 12 mph then quits when I get up to a faster speed. Then it quits when I hit the brake. I do have glow riders on it but I don't think thats it. I will dig into it later this week when I have time. Just wondering if any one else has run across this. Btw, it seems to tick once per revolution of the tire/wheel and it only has 2200 mi on it. Thanks Jim

Spyder Garage

Have you jacked up the front and gave the wheel a spin? That's probably where I'd start.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the ticking sound when I use the brakes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm monitoring your replies. I would ditto what you said. At first I though I picked up a litle rock ticking at every revolution, but that isn't it. My symtoms are identical to yours.

Spyder Garage

What I would do first is get some CRC Brakekleen, or a similar product, and thoroughly clean the rotors first. These types of sounds are usually from debris stuck to the rotor. If the cleaning doesn't do it, a more thorough investigation is in order, perhaps by the dealer. Damaged or badly worn brake pads can make a similar sound.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Default Check your tire for a nail.

Check your tire for a nail. I think of that ticking noise, and related it to a nail.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nater1 View Post
    Check your tire for a nail. I think of that ticking noise, and related it to a nail.
    ...or a stone stuck in the tire tread.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I had a ticking sound from the right front brake also. Just so happend that it was due for the 600 mile service. They inspected and said that the caliper had brake dust build up in it and that I just needed to take a water hose to the calipers when I washed it. I had not planned on a water hose until then, but I do this every so ofen now and have had no more problems from that.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

i just started to get that same ticking sound also.....

Spyder Garage

I have been away at a job site and havent had time to look into it yet. I will check all of those ideas and get back to this post when I get time. I find it odd that others are having the same issue with only the r side. Thanks to all for your help!!

Jim

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

mine happens once every revolution or everytime i put on the brake. something with the pads for sure.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The ticking sound is normal on an ABS system. On many cars, if you drive slowy and stick your head out the window and aplly the brakes. You may be able to hear it as well. I can hear the same thing on my 2005 Chevy Silverado.

Spyder Garage

Does it sound like a clock? You might have a crocodile hidden somewhere
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    Does it sound like a clock? You might have a crocodile hidden somewhere

-Scotty

Spyder Garage

Default Found the problem.

Yesterday I finally had time to look into my ticking sound. I jacked up the front end. The right side would spin but it would not free wheel. There was definitly some drag on it. The left side had drag also but not nearly as much. Solution --- I was at our farm shop so I fired up the steamer / power washer and blew off the rotor / caliper area on both sides. Now both sides will spin freely, there is no tick, AND there is no break sqeaking at all. Also now it drives straight down the hiway (used to pull to one side a little if I let go of the bar.) I'm sure it will help the fuel economy a bit too. I will rinse weekly now. A garden hose will probably work too, but I know a power washer works great. Thanks for all the tips!!!

Ryde on... Jim