Spyder Garage

Red face 14,000 miles in just under 9 months. + another blown exhaust gasket!

On the way to the office this morning at about the 13,985 mile mark, I noticed it! And, the warm rush of air on my right ankle, immediately followed.

Oh well; I'm about to take it in for the 12,000 mile service. I'll have the exhaust gaskets addressed then.
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H. View Post
    On the way to the office this morning at about the 13,985 mile mark, I noticed it! And, the warm rush of air on my right ankle, immediately followed.

Oh well; I'm about to take it in for the 12,000 mile service. I'll have the exhaust gaskets addressed then.
    Hey, Greg. Sorry to hear about the gaskets... but until they change the style, we'll apparently continue to have the problems.

We have a thin base screen with a lot of sealant. Others, such as Yamaha, Honda and Kawasaki have a thick base screen with a little sealant.

Once the sealant melts or burns off, there's nothing left on ours. Poor design.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Hey, Greg. Sorry to hear about the gaskets... but until they change the style, we'll apparently continue to have the problems.

We have a thin base screen with a lot of sealant. Others, such as Yamaha, Honda and Kawasaki have a thick base screen with a little sealant.

Once the sealant melts or burns off, there's nothing left on ours. Poor design.

Yeah....BRP needs to address that. That's twice in 14,000 miles.
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Spyder Garage

Is it pretty noticable when it happens?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Is it pretty noticable when it happens?
    I only noticed mine only when going from a noisy exhaust back to a quiet one. It is very noticeable in that case.

If you have something noiser than a Hindle, you may have a hard time telling something is wrong just by sound... it gradually "sneaks" up on you and you become used to it.

One way to tell for sure... remove the side covers and check for escaping exhaust from the joints. In addition, over time, you may notice a little more deceleration "popping" from a louder-than-stock exhaust... even the Hindle.
    Last edited by ataDude; 06-23-2009 at 05:49 PM.

There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Which gasket usually blows. Do you think the Hindle pipe helps with less back pessure on these gaskets.
    Andrew Gaze
    2008 Full Moon SM5 PE#979

I am one very happy owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gazey View Post
    Which gasket usually blows. Do you think the Hindle pipe helps with less back pessure on these gaskets.
    Right side upper. Don't think so on the Hindle. I believe that it has more to do with the how the entire exhaust system is mounted... rubber mounted engine... Y-pipe is supported on the left but not right side... muffler hard-mounted to the frame. And, probably number one... how the exhaust gaskets/seals are made.

Last edited by ataDude; 06-23-2009 at 05:57 PM.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Well, Boys and Girls; this one hurts! Literally! I noticed a gasket letting go half way to the office this morning. And, immediately, I felt the heat on my right calf. When it blew before, the heat never really increased. I rode over a month with the blown gasket.

On the way home tonight, (my calf) was burning like hell! Matter of fact, there is a red area (about 5" x6") on my right calf from the heat. And, I have a 28 mile ride back to the house! Ouch! Moving was better. And, I only have a single light the route I took today; plus a stop sign.

I won't be riding anymore until I can get it in. And, yes; I am very sure it must be the right side upper this time. That's right where my calf is.

I'm just very thankful this didn't happen on our Chattanooga trip a couple of weeks ago!
    Last edited by Greg H.; 06-23-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I felt the pain also

Replaced my uppers this past weekend. Ordered 4 of them cause I know it's going to happen again. Mine happened right after a burn-out through an intersection. Stock exhaust and it got much louder! 5400 miles, but, this has been my only problem ( knock on wood ).

Spyder Garage

I just hit 2000 mi and noticed its getting hotter down there. I'll check mine in the morn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GA-SPYDER View Post
    Replaced my uppers this past weekend. Ordered 4 of them cause I know it's going to happen again. Mine happened right after a burn-out through an intersection. Stock exhaust and it got much louder! 5400 miles, but, this has been my only problem ( knock on wood ).
    Did you replace them yourself?

Pretty easy to do?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Did you replace them yourself?

Pretty easy to do?
    You didn't ask me but I'll tell you anyway.

Yes.

Yes.

Time consuming but simple.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

You didn't ask me but I'll tell you anyway.

Yes.

Yes.

Time consuming but simple.
    Okay.... I have a question, then. Are all the gaskets the same? It looks like, since my dealer is in the process of moving into their new building, they probably won't be able to perform my 12,000 mi. service, and replace the blown gasket until late next week at the earliest.

Thanks!
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Spyder Garage

Okay.... I have a question, then. Are all the gaskets the same? It looks like, since my dealer is in the process of moving into their new building, they probably won't be able to perform my 12,000 mi. service, and replace the blown gasket until late next week at the earliest.

Thanks!
    The two upper gaskets are one size... about 1.71" ID and 1.91" OD... the lower gasket on the Y-joint is different... about 2.625" ID and 2.875" OD.

See pic below. The stock setup is on the left. My duals are on the right.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

The two upper gaskets are one size... about 1.71" ID and 1.91" OD... the lower gasket on the Y-joint is different... about 2.625" ID and 2.875" OD.

See pic below. The stock setup is on the left. My duals are on the right.

Thanks for the pic!
    Will I need to remove the Hindle if I tackled this, myself?

I am going to check with another dealer to see if they have the gaskets in stock. If it's a simple fix, I might do it myself. I really don't want to wait possibly more than a week to have it fixed (while my 12,000 mi. service is being done).
    Last edited by Greg H.; 06-25-2009 at 09:36 AM.
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the pic!
    Will I need to remove the Hindle if I tackled this, myself?

I am going to check with another dealer to see if they have the gaskets in stock. If it's a simple fix, I might do it myself. I really don't want to wait possibly more than a week to have it fixed (while my 12,000 mi. service is being done).
    Hindle removal is not absolutely necessary but it will make the job a lot easier. Buy the lower gasket, too, and make it easier on yourself. It's made the same way as the uppers... replace all three just to be sure you don't have to do it again for a while.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Hindle removal is not absolutely necessary but it will make the job a lot easier. Buy the lower gasket, too, and make it easier on yourself. It's made the same way as the uppers... replace all three just to be sure you don't have to do it again for a while.
    Well; the other dealer doesn't have any stock. Special order item. Oh well; guess, I'll wait. Soon, I bet, all the dealers will be stocking these on a regular basis.
    Wow! It might be a week plus before I ride again! But, it will sure will be nice to get back in the saddle.
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Spyder Garage

I pulled the right panel today, and cranked it up. It seems like the exhaust leak is where the pipe comes out of the motor - the back cylinder. But, I cannot tell for sure.
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Spyder Garage

There was a change in part numbers for the uppers. BRP revised the gaskets. I had mine changed (all three) under the warranty.

Spyder Garage

I pulled the right panel today, and cranked it up. It seems like the exhaust leak is where the pipe comes out of the motor - the back cylinder. But, I cannot tell for sure.
    Hey, Greg. I don't remember seeing that particular failure before... at the head. That would be unusual.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

One other person reported this, it seems, but on the front cylinder, as I recall.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Hey, Greg. I don't remember seeing that particular failure before... at the head. That would be unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    One other person reported this, it seems, but on the front cylinder, as I recall.
    -Scotty
    I took it in on Saturday for the gasket replacement, and 12,000 mile service. I'll know more tomorrow, I guess. And, since the gaskets were ordered on Saturday, I hope to have my Spyder back in time for the upcoming weekend.

On another note; Tim (zzneonzz) was kind enough to meet me at the dealer, and give me a ride back to my place (28 miles from the dealer) on his Spyder. That was neat! I have not been a passenger on a motorcycle since the 70s.
    Now; I can really see why my wife enjoys riding with me. The Spyder really does make the passenger feel secure.
    Last edited by Greg H.; 06-29-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Spyder Garage

12,000 mile service completed at 14,060 miles. Blown exhaust gasket also replaced. And, this was the same gasket as before. The extra heat heat that I experienced was a result of the higher ambient temperatures.

Total Cost for the 12,000 mile service: $330.00.
    - Greg

Previously owned...