Thread: 2019 RT Limited

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Default 2019 RT Limited

I bought a 2010 rt brand new and rode it 16000 miles before I sold it. I really liked it but it didn't return my love very well. So now I'm considering a 2018 or 19 RT Limited. I've not been able to find a good riding review for this model, can anyone point me in the right direction? I've also noticed a lot of complaints on the BRP Connect app and this concerns me. It looks like I may have to add a GPS, I'm not good at tech, and my grandkids are mostly grown and not available to help me. It also looks like there isn't an easy way to have a rider to passenger intercom. I've been gone from this forum for quite awhile so I'll spend some time catching up. So any help you guys and gals can offer will be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dwight

Spyder Garage

Default welcome back....

You will have no issues and many advantages if you go with the models 14 and up. If the new cluster on the 19"s bother you get the 18 cause the only difference it the instrument cluster. You will have much less maintenance, lower RPM, 6th gears etc. Intercome I'm not sure about but most will go to the helmet to helmet like the Cardo G9 or the sena which have intercom, radio, phone and gps with connection to other ryders. Best pop down to your closeset dealer and test them out and you will see for yourself. Happy hunting....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    I bought a 2010 rt brand new and rode it 16000 miles before I sold it. I really liked it but it didn't return my love very well. So now I'm considering a 2018 or 19 RT Limited. I've not been able to find a good riding review for this model, can anyone point me in the right direction? I've also noticed a lot of complaints on the BRP Connect app and this concerns me. It looks like I may have to add a GPS, I'm not good at tech, and my grandkids are mostly grown and not available to help me. It also looks like there isn't an easy way to have a rider to passenger intercom. I've been gone from this forum for quite awhile so I'll spend some time catching up. So any help you guys and gals can offer will be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dwight
    As for GPS, I was quoted something like $1500 to add the factory's Garmin unit to my 2017 RT. No thanks. I needed a new cell phone anyway so I bought a big iPhone XR with a RAM mount. The phone comes with Google Maps and will give verbal directions to your Bluetooth headset (see below). The screen is nearly as big as the Garmin and is clearly visible as mounted. There is no "tech" to mounting it, all you need is to mount the phone to the Spyder and use it. The battery life is so long, I didn't even bother with connecting it to the Spyder's electrical system (remember, you only use the battery when you are actually needing the GPS, so the phone display can be "off" most of the time, thus preserving the battery). Mounting it is easy, the RAM mount is just a piece with a ball on it that mounts to your handlebars, then there is a 3" extension. To hold the phone securely I bought a MOB Armor mount that holds the phone top, bottom and sides (unlike the X-style mounts) and screws down tight. If you have the factory Garmin, you have to remove it anyway when you park, so why not just get a phone and take it with you? As for keeping thieves from taking the RAM mount and MOB Armor, you can buy a RAM lock for that as well. This setup cost half as much as the factory Garmin would have cost, plus I have a brand new latest-model useful phone at the same time.

As for talking to your passenger, there are a number of Bluetooth-based communications devices available. Many use SENA products. We personally use SENA 5SMH units, which are the "bottom of the line" that basically do nothing but intercom (you can also play music through them if you want - I just never do). The battery life may not be as good with the 5SMH's as with other SENA units but they are very small and easy to use. If your wife talks a lot like mine does, you can get about 4 hours out of the 5SMHs ... I found it cheaper to buy a second pair of 5SMH's and just stick them in my pocket on long rides. Changing over takes about a minute. Of course you can get higher model communicators if you think they're better, and many here have the SENA SMH10's. And there are many other brands to choose from other than SENA.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Have not heard anything about the 19 RTL's yet. Ryker is currently the big deal.

The 18 RTL's did have some issues with the new dashboard electronics. Have not heard about the 19's in relation to that.

14, 15, 16, 17 RT's seem to be very good. The 1330 is much improved over the 998. About 10 mpg more, less service intervals, smooth, more torque, and quieter to operate. It is a buyers market at the moment. If in doubt about the electronics, There are some new (older) models still to be found.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

There is a new 2018 RT limited for only $21,299 in Kansas.
    https://jayhatfieldkawasaki.com/Moto...6-a9d3012faf7d

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you can use either Genius Maps or Sygic GPS on your smartphone then you can use it on the bike. The '19's Operators Manual has instructions the '18's didn't come with. Spending extra $$$$ to add a separate Garmin is a waste. Getting a pair of Bluetooth headsets that come already set up connected to each other makes it easy to communicate with each other. Enjoying your own music on the bike is great and, if you want, you can listen to the radio music is you want a change.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would definitely go with the 18 if you can find one. We paid less than the price listed above for a 2018 RTL. As for the instrument panel the 19 is the same as the 18 is that will not matter. We traded a 13 RTL, with the same drive train you had on the 10 and it is way better, as long as the RT fits you and you ryding style, If not check out the F3 L instead.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the quick response guys. I wouldn't have any problems buying a 2018. The boss lady gets to pick the color so it's gonna be the chrome version of whatever color. Her preference would be red but blue might also work.
    We wear open face full coverage helmets so is there a bluetooth setup for driver/passenger communications? Would they be rechargeable and last all day?
    I've looked at some of the bed lift loaders for pickups and wondered if any of them would work for the Spyder, anyone with experience? Our truck is a long bed dually. Lots of questions but this is the best place to ask!
    Thanks
    Dwight

Spyder Garage

You can easily add a Garmin using a handle bar mount on a 2019. Many have as its much easier to use and see than trying to use the phone integration BRP Connect.

For communication, yes you can use a SENA 20s on each helmet and they will last all day easily. They also charge rather quickly. We have been using a pair (actually 6) of these for a few years now. They can also link to your phone for calls and music if you wish.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

My wife and I used the Cardo Pack Talk Bold units. Gives you intercom, fm, and you can pair with up 13 others as well. They will pair with Sena units as well. Battery time is 13 hours.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    As for GPS, I was quoted something like $1500 to add the factory's Garmin unit to my 2017 RT. No thanks. I needed a new cell phone anyway so I bought a big iPhone XR with a RAM mount. The phone comes with Google Maps and will give verbal directions to your Bluetooth headset (see below). The screen is nearly as big as the Garmin and is clearly visible as mounted. There is no "tech" to mounting it, all you need is to mount the phone to the Spyder and use it. The battery life is so long, I didn't even bother with connecting it to the Spyder's electrical system (remember, you only use the battery when you are actually needing the GPS, so the phone display can be "off" most of the time, thus preserving the battery). Mounting it is easy, the RAM mount is just a piece with a ball on it that mounts to your handlebars, then there is a 3" extension. To hold the phone securely I bought a MOB Armor mount that holds the phone top, bottom and sides (unlike the X-style mounts) and screws down tight. If you have the factory Garmin, you have to remove it anyway when you park, so why not just get a phone and take it with you? As for keeping thieves from taking the RAM mount and MOB Armor, you can buy a RAM lock for that as well. This setup cost half as much as the factory Garmin would have cost, plus I have a brand new latest-model useful phone at the same time.

As for talking to your passenger, there are a number of Bluetooth-based communications devices available. Many use SENA products. We personally use SENA 5SMH units, which are the "bottom of the line" that basically do nothing but intercom (you can also play music through them if you want - I just never do). The battery life may not be as good with the 5SMH's as with other SENA units but they are very small and easy to use. If your wife talks a lot like mine does, you can get about 4 hours out of the 5SMHs ... I found it cheaper to buy a second pair of 5SMH's and just stick them in my pocket on long rides. Changing over takes about a minute. Of course you can get higher model communicators if you think they're better, and many here have the SENA SMH10's. And there are many other brands to choose from other than SENA.
    THanks for this writeup. I just bought the 18 RT Limited and I was debating using my iphone or shopping for a GPS. Can you link your iPhone to the Sena units to make/take calls? Not that I want to talk while driving but I am thinking about emergency situations.
    2018 RT Limited White/Chrome.
    BlueSeaSky front & rear dash cam.
    USB plugs
    TechMount cellphone holder
    Squared Away laser alignment.
    BajaRon anti-sway bar and links.
    Dynojet
    Ceramic coated cat delete pipe

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    Thanks
    Dwight
    The issue you have seen with BRP connect is / was a software issue and most of that was corrected a few weeks ago with an update 20.8. another item they improved on the 2018 models was the power steering. now works a little better. Each year the RT gets a little better 2014 was a big leap forward so from 2010 to 2018 will seem like night and day in a lot of ways. Good Luck shopping.
    2012 RTL , Brown