Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    With a little tweaking, could the curve part of the BRP back rest attach to the case?
    My bigger concern would be the structural integrity of the topcase and plate. The BRP backrest is a substantial piece of metal that provides solid support. The Givi case is mounted to the sport rack plate with four short screws that will clearly hold the case securely, but until I see Firefly's setup, it's hard to tell how much abuse it could take from bouncing and pressure by a passenger leaning on it. No worries about any stress on the BRP design, that baby is a rock. I know that several owners have Givi top cases, so I hope they weigh in on how solid the case/pad setup is for passengers compared to the BRP unit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    My bigger concern would be the structural integrity of the topcase and plate. The BRP backrest is a substantial piece of metal that provides solid support. The Givi case is mounted to the sport rack plate with four short screws that will clearly hold the case securely, but until I see Firefly's setup, it's hard to tell how much abuse it could take from bouncing and pressure by a passenger leaning on it. No worries about any stress on the BRP design, that baby is a rock. I know that several owners have Givi top cases, so I hope they weigh in on how solid the case/pad setup is for passengers compared to the BRP unit.
    I don't have the sport rack and backrest, so I can't speak from experience, but looking at Firefly's excellent detail photos, it appears the front hooks and the latch on the sport rack plate are strong enough to handle an angular load. The added GIVI rack would provide additional stiffness and strength. The weak spot appears to be the mounting points. They would be strengthened substantially by the use of fender washers beneath the nuts, or better yet, fabricate a full metal support plate for underneath, and use longer screws.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

The Givi setup with the backrest pad is nowhere near as stable as the BRP backrest. If I was going to have a passenger on the back often - I would want the BRP backrest.

There is a bit of flex to the entire setup that makes it not as stable as I would really prefer for extended passenger use.

You have the BRP rack plate that has some movement after locked in place, then some where the GIVI rack is bolted to the BRP rack, then the case itself which is plastic.

I'm sure it could be beefed up. Another option for people with the Corbin setup would be to move the case back further to still allow the rear Corbin backrest.

I grabbed the case and reefed on it pretty good and it didn't come off---

Spyder Garage

Did some riding today with the whole setup and the topcase works just GREAT. Have had many that saw my Spyder before and after the bags were added and most like it better with the bags on.

I went down some really bad roads to give everything a really good shakedown - no problems at all.

The BRP/GIVI combo isn't coming off the bike for sure - in fact, the way I mounted it - in order to tilt the BRP sport rack up enough to remove it from the bike - I have to release the rear Corbin seat. Didn't really plan it that way - but it works for me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Did some riding today with the whole setup and the topcase works just GREAT. Have had many that saw my Spyder before and after the bags were added and most like it better with the bags on.

I went down some really bad roads to give everything a really good shakedown - no problems at all.

The BRP/GIVI combo isn't coming off the bike for sure - in fact, the way I mounted it - in order to tilt the BRP sport rack up enough to remove it from the bike - I have to release the rear Corbin seat. Didn't really plan it that way - but it works for me.
    Not that bigger is better, but any reason you chose the E370 vrs the E450 or E470 other than price point?

Spyder Garage

Default V46

Not that bigger is better, but any reason you chose the E370 vrs the E450 or E470 other than price point?
    For those who missed my earlier post on this subject, here is what my V46 top case looks like. It's pretty big, which may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

Just didn't want to go too big - looks wise I wasn't sure how big would still look good as I bought this online without seeing one live and in person.

Storing one helmet and some basic gear was all I needed - so this one fit the bill quite well.

I'm sure you could do the same with the larger one and it would still look pretty good.

Spyder Garage

Looks good to me!

I'm even MORE "jealouser" now!!!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Oooo...I feel VERY special now! I just replied to your 1,000th post!!! I was going to paste that hot dog guy 1,000 times, but I have to work in the morning!

Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Oooo...I feel VERY special now! I just replied to your 1,000th post!!! I was going to paste that hot dog guy 1,000 times, but I have to work in the morning!
    Givi E30 is a real bargain at $90, but only comes in matte black. Really did this post to get to 750.

Spyder Garage

Ooo...I just got 180! OK...not so impressive...

Spyder Garage

So when are either of you Mikes up for a ryde? Weekends are always best for me ----- I'm usually just out riding or doing lawn work--- so let me know!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post

Just a tip, paste the dancing hotdog in ten times. Highlight and copy those ten, then paste the copied hotdogs 9 times. Next, highlight and copy the one hundred dancing hotdogs and paste that nine more times. Voila! One thousand quick and easy (and annoyingly too many ) dancing hotdogs. Oh, and I think they are chili peppers though I like to call them the dancing banana.

Here's 180 for you...
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Just a tip, paste the dancing hotdog in ten times. Highlight and copy those ten, then paste the copied hotdogs 9 times. Next, highlight and copy the one hundred dancing hotdogs and paste that nine more times. Voila! One thousand quick and easy (and annoyingly too many ) dancing hotdogs. Oh, and I think they are chili peppers though I like to call them the dancing banana.

Here's 180 for you...

I think I'm going to go into a seizure!

Spyder Garage

I think I'm going to go into a seizure!
    If Some Guy wasn't sleepy, you would have been looking at 1,000 of them.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So when are either of you Mikes up for a ryde? Weekends are always best for me ----- I'm usually just out riding or doing lawn work--- so let me know!
    Grandson #1 3rd birthday party today and Father's Day plans tomorrow so this weekend is booked.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You did a fine job, neater than another install I saw which had cut the plastic GIVI base. I opted for the much cheaper GIVI rack, $126 from Twisted Throttle, very sturdy but had to be ground and filed before tail cone would fit, Also, GIVI rack included template for drilling and Dremeling holes which had to be enlarged further. Rack struts which should have fit snug against tail section plastic sat up about 3/8", exposing holes and wiring beneath to rain and wash water. Nothing that a piece of weatherstripping foam couldn't fill ...

widowmaker2011

The Givi setup with the backrest pad is nowhere near as stable as the BRP backrest. If I was going to have a passenger on the back often - I would want the BRP backrest.

There is a bit of flex to the entire setup that makes it not as stable as I would really prefer for extended passenger use.
    ---

Nice job . Seems like forever ago but I did this mod in May of 2008 and also ran into similar issues with the givi plate being a little unstable mostly because it gets mounted a little bit at an angle and also when its at a slight angle I think it looks a little weird that way too. Since the Givi Base plates are relatively inexpensive I Bought a couple off ebay prior to my install , one to modify and one to test its strength after modification. ( I put it in a bend press at work and it took 800 pounds of force to crack the bracket even efter I removed a bit of material from it) As you will see in this post with pics from another forum from last year , my install worked quite well also and as a benefit got rid of the unstableness. The bracket has been on for several thousand miles and is rock solid and you can lift the rear of the spyder up by grabbing underneath it , so its very strong. I love the way it sits flush and looks. The pics in the post will show how I did it.
    May just give someone doing this a couple options.

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/ind...=givi+backrest
    Last edited by widowmaker2011; 07-09-2009 at 06:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Industries7 setup

I have the Industries7 setup with my V46 top box and V35 side cases. It is actually from Thibault Importations in Quebec, but for the information of y'all on the U.S. side of the border, it is the same as the Industries7 rack. I can tell you that this is a very solid piece of kit. My wife feels quite secure leaning against the pad on the top box. There is very little flex. Although I assume it is not as sturdy as the BRP backrest, it certainly does the job.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I don't have the sport rack and backrest, so I can't speak from experience, but looking at Firefly's excellent detail photos, it appears the front hooks and the latch on the sport rack plate are strong enough to handle an angular load. The added GIVI rack would provide additional stiffness and strength. The weak spot appears to be the mounting points. They would be strengthened substantially by the use of fender washers beneath the nuts, or better yet, fabricate a full metal support plate for underneath, and use longer screws.
    -Scotty
    also not to pee in your cornflakes but there was a post i cant find right now about the plate that you have bag screwed to broke at the locking clip ...could have been a blem but maybe bolting that down wouldnt be a bad idea
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER