Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Who in HD decided to price their electric motorcycle at $30K when you can get a Zero Electric motorcycle with double the range for half the price?
    I don't think HD is trying to appeal to the new crowd with a motorcycle that costs more than a car. It's like they're trying really hard to show that nobody wants an electric motorcycle.

Spyder Garage

I got my first dirt bike – the same manufacturer as my dad’s, when I was 7yo. When I was 16yo thru my 20s, I did not want a dressed Harley or later a Goldwing like my dad. I wanted the fast, sporty Kawasakis and Hondas.
    Now my daughter is 20yo and she could have my Goldwing for free or a used Spyder. However, she doesn’t want it or a Spyder, or even the Yamaha 650 V-Star Raven that I persuaded her to buy last summer as her first motorcycle. She wants a Ninja or some similar crotch rocket. I just won’t let her get one until she has more riding experience (or at all) – I control her major cash. I will probably take her to check out the Ryker this spring. With hopes to get her on 3 wheels. But she wants to be different from her dad and his old man rides. Its not the money. There are plenty of used Harleys, Goldwings, and Spyders.

Nothing has changed in the last 40 years!

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Our local HD dealer just got in a Spyder like front wheel conversion kit for a Harley. The cost is $16,000 plus install and paint (to match fenders). Reverse is an additional $2,000, and of course the customer supplied the motorcycle! It does allow the rider to lean it, and it hydraulically locks into the upright position at the flip of a switch.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
    Who in HD decided to price their electric motorcycle at $30K when you can get a Zero Electric motorcycle with double the range for half the price?
    I don't think HD is trying to appeal to the new crowd with a motorcycle that costs more than a car. It's like they're trying really hard to show that nobody wants an electric motorcycle.
    … And if you option one out correctly: you'll end up with a "Battery-Bike", that has a range of almost 190 miles...
    Zero is currently leading the way...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not a millennial but the hottest market for them right now are retro bikes like cafe racers. I just bought a BMW R Nine T. It is a bike intended for modifications. You would not believe the following on Instagram, FB, etc. that these bikes and similar bikes like the Triumph Thruxton and Honda CB550. It is a very trendy style with fashion, beards, small breweries, etc. etc.
    They take HD's and tear them apart and simplify them. Make them look tough.

That's what BRP did with the Ryker. Look at how they advertise heavily with the modifications it can have. They are trying to tap into it.

My new two wheeler. Trying to figure out if I could have my RT trailer this! 5bf4da37d413de3cf637f8d7.jpg
    2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    BRP and HD have been making adjustments to their product line, smaller bikes, cheaper, even hybrid bikes in the works. things are changing slowly don't count them out.
    Yes, HD has made some adjustments but LiveWire (the electric bike) is set to have a $30k price tag for something with a 110 mile range or something, which I think will put it out of the reach of most 'Millennials'.

Also, I fall into the category that this article is all about (i am 34). I've owned 2 HD's loved them both, only reason I sold my last one for the ST1300 is because I didn't want to put my mint 96 Evo Ultra Classic in Atlanta stop and go traffic to commute. I think a lot of 'millennials' see a machine that gets 40-45 mpg and thinks that is going to be a cheaper mode of transportation only to find out that what you save in fuel costs add up in maintenance costs else ware for that machine. I think were HD has gone wrong is they have priced millennials out of their motorcycles. As the article says, the average HD owner is 50+ and has an income of $90K most millennials do not have money like this. Most of them are deeeeeeeep in credit card debt or student loans (i'm not). I think if HD came out with a big twin, that was $11k or under, on a larger frame (ie not a sportster) you'd see them begin their climb back to the top.

Also I think the average millennial is just 'soft' and doesn't want to be out in the weather like the old school bikers of days gone past....but there are some exceptions to that rule, as I am a millennial, and dont fit in with most of the people in my demographic.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphcycleman View Post
    Our local HD dealer just got in a Spyder like front wheel conversion kit for a Harley. The cost is $16,000 plus install and paint (to match fenders). Reverse is an additional $2,000, and of course the customer supplied the motorcycle! It does allow the rider to lean it, and it hydraulically locks into the upright position at the flip of a switch.
    does it also have the legendary harley reliability?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds like one of these:

https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

They are actually a pretty well thought-out conversion.

Spyder Garage

My theory is that Millennials do not buy HD because they still see motorcycles as cheap transportation, not a toy. They do not, for the most part, have the disposable income to have $30k toys. In time they will as they get older and find ways of earning a long term living.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    My theory is that Millennials do not buy HD because they still see motorcycles as cheap transportation, not a toy. They do not, for the most part, have the disposable income to have $30k toys. In time they will as they get older and find ways of earning a long term living.
    I agree with that theory but I also think that Millennials as a group are more risk averse then older generations. Not that there arent riders in that age group, but as a whole I think they view riding bikes as something too risky to do.
    https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...nap-story.html

And it's not just HD that is having problems moving bikes, but generally its the whole industry with a few exceptions. But HD probably has it the worst since their lineup has very few offerings that appeal younger riders. Look at Honda, they just brought out two new Rebels priced to be attractive to first time buyers. And I would love to see more automatic type transmissions offered like Honda's DCT.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also agree... but provisionally!
    When I was first starting out on Motorcycling: I DID buy a Harley...

But it was a 250 cc Two-stroke!

It was the WORST piece of fecal material that I ever had the misfortune of owning!

so even folks without money, can still find ways to buy a Harley!