Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New life adventure ?

Sooooooooo over the summer lots of changes in my life etc...….. Added a very large structural beam in my four car garage, this will add 16,000 lbs. of weight carrying ability ...…... it will also negate my having to go up there and shovel it ( all 1400 sq.ft. ). Shoving it with a broken leg just wasn't going to be possible. Now that I won't have to do that I decided I needed some type of winter activity. I gave up and sold all my Snow-mobiles - four years ago, because I had no one to go with during the week, I stopped sno-mobiling on weekends a long time ago, due to the Idiots that were a Real safety threat...…. Since I had Down Hill skied since I was 21 ( 49 yrs ago - ) I decided to return to it …. because I'm an old Fart now ( 71+ ) Sugarbush offered a week-day Season Pass for & 139.00 ..... They normally charge $85.00 per day ….. So it was a bargain I couldn't pass up .... I splurged on new Boots ( one-buckle rear entry ) and new super side-cut ski's … ( PS Level Nine.com has some great prices ) …. I did go out last week with my old stuff and managed not to hurt or Kill my-self …..Yes it was challenging and I did fall 5 times ( 2 on purpose because - going off trail into the words is something to avoid if at all possible ). We just got 8 inches of new snow, but it is very wet and heavy ( not ideal for Old folks ) …. Tomorrow will be in the 20's and they will have groomed, so I plan to Ski ….. please pray for me if you do that sort of thing …… I'll post how it goes ……. Thanks … Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-27-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

Well, on your re-found hobby. I used to be an avid cross country skier. Had to give it up because of the heart condition and then the hip.

Lived in Northern WI which had many, many great locations, and used to ski the Gunflint Trail in MN, stayed at a nice lodge yearly for a week long encounter in the good stuff.

And then, moved to AK. More of the great stuff. On one of our last outings, we had to dodge a bull moose that took an interest in us. Hiding behind a big tree worked that time.

Brings back lots of good memories. Just be careful. As we age, the bones break easier and take much longer to heal.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am very excited for you and hope that it goes well for you. I gave it up about 15 years ago as I just got too fat and fragile. I got some of the kids and few of the grand kids interested for a while but none of them stuck to it and I got tired of going alone. So good on ya for trying it out again. I hope all goes well.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    You're braver than I am!
    Every time that I tried skiing: I'd end up with my nose, knees, and toes pointing off in about seven different directions...
    Now that I heal so much slower: I'll consider it to be just a spectator sport for me.
    Congratulations, and the best of luck to you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Why Not! A afternoon on the Slopes is something that probably makes you feel better All week- Like when I get a Nice winter ride on the Spyder - The rest of the week is better!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Kudo's Mike, returning to downhill skiing is a MAJOR accomplishment. I grew up skiing and like others retired when I felt too old or overweight.
    Today I was reminded again (at the sprightly 61 years of age) that when we stop moving it just gets harder to move later.
    I spent three hours this morning helping a young mother move to her new apartment. I feel like I used to feel after a 12 hour day of field exercises or a whole day of Colorado skiing.
    Keep going Mike, take it slow, work your way back into it, and yes, take a dive before crashin' through the trees uncontrolled.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Kudo's Mike, returning to downhill skiing is a MAJOR accomplishment. I grew up skiing and like others retired when I felt too old or overweight.
    Today I was reminded again (at the sprightly 61 years of age) that when we stop moving it just gets harder to move later.
    I spent three hours this morning helping a young mother move to her new apartment. I feel like I used to feel after a 12 hour day of field exercises or a whole day of Colorado skiing.
    Keep going Mike, take it slow, work your way back into it, and yes, take a dive before crashin' through the trees uncontrolled.
    .. Thanks to you and the others above for the encouragement ( ) ….. Good on you for helping that Lady ……… and yes I will take it slow, I was actually surprised I did as well as I did this first time back...… Getting the rhythm back will take some time ….. I hope the New ski's will make it even easier ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Yahoo...!!

Sounds like a fun adventure into the past. You do have to take it slow and get your senses in tune once again especially with new equipment that undoubtedly is different to what you remember...I on the otherhand have only water skiing in my past and did enjoy that. But with only one good working leg the one ski is a bit tough so I ryde... because I can ... Enjoy and be safe....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have never hurt myself playing pool, and you can do it by yourself and still have fun.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good for you, Mike! I haven't skied in many years. I'm not sure my knees could handle it now.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Mike, I'm envious. Used to ski at least twice a week in season when I lived in Seattle. The ski slopes were an hour away and did night skiing after work. Like others, I gained too much weight and the old knees bark at me often for having to support the tremendous load. I haven't been on the slopes for 13 years now and I miss it. I still have my equiptment but ski cloths have shrunk (a lot). Go slow and avoid falls. Getting up from a fall is not as easy as when we were young and limber. Enjoy.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Worked at a ski hill for 10 yrs and used to ski every week as we skied for free. Retiring on Dec.28, so may take it up again. Good on you Mike for doing so, and I think we may have a long and good season for it. Enjoy!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Orthopedic surgeons do a thriving business in ski towns. All my friends that ski have suffered far more skeletal damage collectively than all my motorcycling buddies put together. Take care out there!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Good for you, Mike! I haven't skied in many years. I'm not sure my knees could handle it now.
    Patty, thank you …. I know EXACTLY how you feel …. over the summer I took a really bad fall …. slamming both knee's onto the concrete …. was laid up for about 2 weeks and am still recovering …. I'm surprised I didn't break either or both knee caps, it was that bad ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Mike, I'm envious. Used to ski at least twice a week in season when I lived in Seattle. The ski slopes were an hour away and did night skiing after work. Like others, I gained too much weight and the old knees bark at me often for having to support the tremendous load. I haven't been on the slopes for 13 years now and I miss it. I still have my equiptment but ski cloths have shrunk (a lot). Go slow and avoid falls. Getting up from a fall is not as easy as when we were young and limber. Enjoy.....
    Thanks - I'm pretty lucky in the travel distance to my Ski area ….15 minutes even if it's snowing.... I'm also lucky in the weight area, I've managed to keep it at about 175lbs unlike my slightly older Brother who now tops 315 ...……….Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    Worked at a ski hill for 10 yrs and used to ski every week as we skied for free. Retiring on Dec.28, so may take it up again. Good on you Mike for doing so, and I think we may have a long and good season for it. Enjoy!
    If you are considering new equipment check out levelnine.com ……. very very good prices ………… I paid $ 250.00 for good grade ski's,with bindings, boots and a coupon that got me free Poles …… Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-28-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Spyder Garage

Go for it, Mr. BLUEKNIGHT911. Enjoy it to your fullest.
    As for me, give me a shotgun, a hundred rounds of ammo, and a sporting clays course and I'll be grinning for hours!

Spyder Garage

Good to have another skier on the forum so we will have something to talk about and not complain that we can't ryde. I've skied for over 50 years. Really only learned how to ski properly a decade ago when a friend ( from the USA
    B team) helped me rid my skiing of the old bad habits. It's just plain fun now. I did 50 days last year ( thank G*d for season passes) and have a trip planned to Telluride in a few weeks with my son and 2 of the grand kids. They board so I'm always waiting for them.

Get the skitrax app for your phone, it's free ( but of course you can upgrade for a few bucks). I'm skiing on Dynastar Cham 97's. A great all mountain ski. What are you skiing on????

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Good to have another skier on the forum so we will have something to talk about and not complain that we can't ryde. I've skied for over 50 years. Really only learned how to ski properly a decade ago when a friend ( from the USA
    B team) helped me rid my skiing of the old bad habits. It's just plain fun now. I did 50 days last year ( thank G*d for season passes) and have a trip planned to Telluride in a few weeks with my son and 2 of the grand kids. They board so I'm always waiting for them.

Get the skitrax app for your phone, it's free ( but of course you can upgrade for a few bucks). I'm skiing on Dynastar Cham 97's. A great all mountain ski. What are you skiing on????

Lew L
    ...……. Elan Waveflex 76 's ( they have an extreme sidecut to make turning effortless " so I'm told ) ….. just got them and hope to try them tomorrow 11-28-18 …..snow will still be at bit on the wet side so I'll have to test them slowly ………… PS you and yours get my tipcal Spyderlover's invite ……… Let me know if you want to come and Ski, I'm about 15 min. from the closest area - Sugarbush ………… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...……. Elan Waveflex 76 's ( they have an extreme sidecut to make turning effortless " so I'm told ) ….. just got them and hope to try them tomorrow 11-28-18 …..snow will still be at bit on the wet side so I'll have to test them slowly ………… PS you and yours get my tipcal Spyderlover's invite ……… Let me know if you want to come and Ski, I'm about 15 min. from the closest area - Sugarbush ………… Mike
    Reno, Nevada is just a short drive right?? So no offense, I don't think I'll be skiing in the East

The new shaped skis are easy to turn. A lesson might help as body position is a bit different. Is the "76" the underfoot width?? That's very narrow, pressure on the front of the boot really works. We get good powder up here ( base elevation is 8200 ft.) so a wider ski is necessary. I've heard that it can get a bit icy in the N East???
    All the best,
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Reno, Nevada is just a short drive right?? So no offense, I don't think I'll be skiing in the East

The new shaped skis are easy to turn. A lesson might help as body position is a bit different. Is the "76" the underfoot width?? That's very narrow, pressure on the front of the boot really works. We get good powder up here ( base elevation is 8200 ft.) so a wider ski is necessary. I've heard that it can get a bit icy in the N East???
    All the best,
    Lew L
    These Elan's have a " Parabolic Rocker " profile ….125-76-103 mm. ….. Yes we have ICE - and lots of it ….. Powder , occasionally, but it's mostly groomed hard pack …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Sooooooooo over the summer lots of changes in my life etc...….. Added a very large structural beam in my four car garage, this will add 16,000 lbs. of weight carrying ability ...…... it will also negate my having to go up there and shovel it ( all 1400 sq.ft. ). Shoving it with a broken leg just wasn't going to be possible. Now that I won't have to do that I decided I needed some type of winter activity. I gave up and sold all my Snow-mobiles - four years ago, because I had no one to go with during the week, I stopped sno-mobiling on weekends a long time ago, due to the Idiots that were a Real safety threat...…. Since I had Down Hill skied since I was 21 ( 49 yrs ago - ) I decided to return to it …. because I'm an old Fart now ( 71+ ) Sugarbush offered a week-day Season Pass for & 139.00 ..... They normally charge $85.00 per day ….. So it was a bargain I couldn't pass up .... I splurged on new Boots ( one-buckle rear entry ) and new super side-cut ski's … ( PS Level Nine.com has some great prices ) …. I did go out last week with my old stuff and managed not to hurt or Kill my-self …..Yes it was challenging and I did fall 5 times ( 2 on purpose because - going off trail into the words is something to avoid if at all possible ). We just got 8 inches of new snow, but it is very wet and heavy ( not ideal for Old folks ) …. Tomorrow will be in the 20's and they will have groomed, so I plan to Ski ….. please pray for me if you do that sort of thing …… I'll post how it goes ……. Thanks … Mike
    so today was another attempt at re-learning the Downhill Ski thing … I skied a bit longer than on Day one ( 1 hr more ) … and my ski's are getting closer together, I'm getting better at linking carved turns ….. but I have a ways to go to get back to my best form ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Damn Mike. I think I threw my back out just reading your post. Kudos for getting back into it again. Stay safe. Have fun. Hopefully meet some ladies? Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I like to go snowboarding with my kid, now he's middle aged, and worried about hurting himself. We are getting a couple feet of snow out here so it is going to be a good, early season. I repurposed my blue plaid leisure suit.
    Have fun if you can afford to!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tulefog; 11-29-2018 at 01:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

I gave all my equipment away ,gave up skiing .Now i have a summit 850 and play off trail ,put 3000 km on last year playing in the bush.
    2018 RTL , dark blue