Thread: Spyder Shopping

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Shopping

After researching for months, I started my Spyder shopping this past Friday. Have 4 to 5 dealers on my list that I plan to visit ranging from 20 miles to 100 miles out.

Stopped by the first one since I was in the area. They did not have any models on the showroom floor. Talked with a salesman only to find out I knew more about them than he did. I wanted to know specifically about the F3-S Special Series -- he didn't even know that model existed. Had to show him what it was on his tablet. Couldn't even tell me when I could place an order for one.

Definitely disappointed. I still have other dealers so I will move on to the next.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

when you do get your Spyder, remember that dealer and never, ever go back.
    If their sales dept. is that ignorant, imagine how bright the service people are.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

If you've done all your homework and you're ready to buy, just pick up the phone and call the store. Be sure to talk with the GM or owner (decision makers) and they'll give you their best price. If you're still tire kicking, don't call. If you're ready to pull the trigger, call. They'll know you're serious by the conversation you have and be sure to keep good notes and the name of who you talked with. You'll need this information when you get your best deal and call back to leave a deposit.

I've done that with four Spyders and my last few cars. Good luck.

You will probably know more than any salesman. Also, you don't need to buy an extended warranty at the time you buy your Spyder. You can buy it anytime as long as your original warranty is still in effect.
    Last edited by Copperman; 11-17-2018 at 07:31 PM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    After researching for months, I started my Spyder shopping this past Friday. Have 4 to 5 dealers on my list that I plan to visit ranging from 20 miles to 100 miles out.

Stopped by the first one since I was in the area. They did not have any models on the showroom floor. Talked with a salesman only to find out I knew more about them than he did. I wanted to know specifically about the F3-S Special Series -- he didn't even know that model existed. Had to show him what it was on his tablet. Couldn't even tell me when I could place an order for one.

Definitely disappointed. I still have other dealers so I will move on to the next.
    This would be a useful story if we knew which dealer you had that experience with. Otherwise, it's just another generalized dealer gripe.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Dealers that know what they are doing in both sales departments and service departments are few and far between. An ongoing problem that has been talked about since day one. I have seen both good and bad from my dealer since 2008. And soon there will be no dealer in AK.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had that experience recently, an hour ride and totally disappointed at the absence of product knowledge and lack of Spyders on the floor, four wheelers, no problem. Was there five minutes. I'm sure there are dealers out there with a good show room and people that know the product, so I've not give up, just looking for another day to ride. This dealer was in Kissimmee, FL, not naming it......

Spyder Garage

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopo.../Green2041.jpg mr. of dave ! have I got a deal for you ! ( shoot the set-up works better if the photo would have paste ! )

Spyder Garage

about the cycle buy ---- if you find a dealer , with cycles ( spyders ) look over the cycles they have closely , check to see how their cycles are assembled , give you an idea how they treat their new inventory ... ( the cycle should be easy too look at / sit on , a clean finish no dust , ask to hear one start ( if it lags in start they are a little behind on battery up keep ) they could be busy with other things is a possibility , always a chance they are a good dealer , just look over the frunck and lights stuff you know about ... if you find a good dealer , go back like 4 or 5 times stay in touch with the decision makers , shake hands with a bunch of folks that are in the showroom and service , ( the place near me , I know every one by sight and I at least say hello , a little pat on the shoulder , they remember the little things .... and when it comes too pushing the paper work ----> STAY ON YOUR GAME .... just because you now know them , , slow the roll of the sales pitch and extra stuff .... slow the pen down and check your pulse , your heart will be racing like a huge adrenaline shot too the arm ... this is what the sales guys are looking for .... they know when the pens starts and they eyes go wide , it is no holds bar , the sale is on ... ( basically , keep the power on your side of the table ... you do not have too beat them up , just make it an easy comfortable transaction ) ..... think I went in over 2 years before I actually bought a cycle from the local guys , ended up with an indian from them , but bought used spyders ! even the used ones with low miles still have plenty of fun left in them ( at 1/2 the cost also )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Had that experience recently, an hour ride and totally disappointed at the absence of product knowledge and lack of Spyders on the floor, four wheelers, no problem. Was there five minutes. I'm sure there are dealers out there with a good show room and people that know the product, so I've not give up, just looking for another day to ride. This dealer was in Kissimmee, FL, not naming it......
    was that the " kiss-a-me- good by " store ?

Spyder Garage

If you drop into NC in your search, Brewers in Henderson is who I use. Family owned large dealership, will drive a hard bargain, but if you stand your ground you can get a decent deal. I have never had a complaint about their service department.

Spyders are popular around RTP, NC so there are several well stocked dealers.

Good luck in your search.

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

How much DIY work are you capable of doing? Not mentioned thus far is the caliber of the service and parts departments with the most importance on the former. How many certified Spyder technicians? Ask when your first service will be due. If they tell you anything different than 3,000 miles for the 1330 ACE engine they're out for the biggest slice of your wallet they can get. Ask what you should expect the first service to cost; some dealerships hide the gun in a robbery scheme. Do they do Rolo Laser alignments? There is a very slim chance your Spyder will come from the factory properly aligned. Will they install and balance automobile tires you provide when the miserable Kendas are toast? IMO that's where giving a bit on purchase price MIGHT be in your best interest when it comes to the long term health and operation of your Spyder.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post
    If you drop into NC in your search, Brewers in Henderson is who I use. Family owned large dealership, will drive a hard bargain, but if you stand your ground you can get a decent deal. I have never had a complaint about their service department.

Spyders are popular around RTP, NC so there are several well stocked dealers.

Good luck in your search.
    Good to know. They are on my list and only 86 miles down the road.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    How much DIY work are you capable of doing?..................
    I will be doing most all of my own service work. It's hobby for me and I enjoy working on things. Have the tools and small shop to get it done. I'm even checking on getting the laser alignment (Outlaw System) and Buds to learn that side of it.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Motomember has a lot in stock or will get one! Leesburg, Virginia and ask for Billy just be warned he is the owner and a Sales man!

https://www.motomember.com/search/in...l%20Motorcycle

*I drove over 200 miles to buy from them*
    Zoom in on my pic,he will be opening a new Motorsport shop soon.

IMG_20180825_172212[1].jpg
    Last edited by bluewoo; 11-18-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    Motomember has a lot in stock or will get one! Leesburg, Virginia and ask for Billy just be warned he is the owner and a Sales man!..................
    Thanks for the heads up. He's only 187 miles from me. Will add Motomember to the list. Do you know where his new store will be located?
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

This might be it, they were still in the process of buying new building when I bought mine.

405 Browning Ct, Purcellville, VA 20132
    Phone: (703) 669-4848
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    This might be it, they were still in the process of buying new building when I bought mine.

405 Browning Ct, Purcellville, VA 20132
    Phone: (703) 669-4848
    Thanks bluewoo -- Going to check them out
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

He sells a lot of spyders on top of some major japan import bikes, I just started laughing when I got to the dealership. Never saw so many Spyders!

Bottom line is he wants to sell and he pushes add ons (accessories) so some modles already have them on and they are not free.

Mine already had the arm rest, adj wind deflectors and battery tender cable. He will negotiate and that counts.

Good luck and keep us posted........................
    2018 RT-L , Blue