Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Lifting/Replacing battery in 2018 RTL

I was noticing that my RT wasn't starting like it should after a week or two of not riding. I found I had to plug in the Battery Tender JR to bring it back which took a day or a bit more before the LED turned green. When I first got the bike I could leave it in the garage for 2-3 weeks and the bike would start fine, no problems, but lately 4-5 days and it wouldn't start and recently, after 7 days, I turned the key and the lights were very weak. So . . . I figured the dealer didn't prep the battery right and I need to replace it. ( the bike has 7200 miles since the beginning of Feb. So I ride a bit and and do use the charger mostly in winter when its cooler.

Got new battery from Amazon $92. I also noticed the difficulty in getting the battery out once it was disconnected. It's heavy and makes for a pain to remove. I got a rubber tie down strap and bunched it up to form a handle and hooked the metal hooks into the battery terminals (ONE AT A TIME) and was able to pull the battery out easy. Helps in lifting it also.

ALUpmVP%T7C5WDU2UC3axA.jpg 9ghXGrI2QXC%BEmPZl5SFA.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 11-17-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why my images are upside down, I don't know. Tried flipping the images and re-uploading them and they still show up wrong.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Seems to be a good idea to me, even though the photos are upside down. Makes it look like you have a floating battery.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I was noticing that my RT wasn't starting like it should after a week or two of not riding. I found I had to plug in the Battery Tender JR to bring it back which took a day or a bit more before the LED turned green. When I first got the bike I could leave it in the garage for 2-3 weeks and the bike would start fine, no problems, but lately 4-5 days and it wouldn't start and recently, after 7 days, I turned the key and the lights were very weak. So . . . I figured the dealer didn't prep the battery right and I need to replace it. ( the bike has 7200 miles since the beginning of Feb. So I ride a bit and and do use the charger mostly in winter when its cooler.

Got new battery from Amazon $92. I also noticed the difficulty in getting the battery out once it was disconnected. It's heavy and makes for a pain to remove. I got a rubber tie down strap and bunched it up to form a handle and hooked the metal hooks into the battery terminals (ONE AT A TIME) and was able to pull the battery out easy. Helps in lifting it also.

ALUpmVP%T7C5WDU2UC3axA.jpg 9ghXGrI2QXC%BEmPZl5SFA.jpg
    good idea
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

BRP would have replaced your battery under warranty. Less than a year old.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not my local dealer and it's 2 hours to the one I do go to. My local wanted the battery to be dead and me stuck on the road and not at home. When I bought it they had a Can Am tech but lost her and now they might be getting her back but their service management is not good.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Why my images are upside down, I don't know. Tried flipping the images and re-uploading them and they still show up wrong.
    Did you take your pictures holding your camera upside down? If so, that's the problem. Phones and other devices and many, if not most, photo programs will show a picture in correct orientation regardless of its real orientation. What you have to do is on your computer open the picture in a photo program, orient it correctly, and do a save as to force the file copy to retain the correct orientation info. I don't mess with any kind of photo manipulation on my phone or tablet so can't say what has to be done to correct the embedded orientation.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did try flipping it and they still showed up wrong. Even flipping them back didn't work. Weird.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I did try flipping it and they still showed up wrong. Even flipping them back didn't work. Weird.
    What program did you use to flip them? Did you save it as new file, not just simply hitting save?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    What program did you use to flip them? Did you save it as new file, not just simply hitting save?
    I use a MacBook and the Photos app.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

updated servers/site & pictures are still the most confusing thing
    Congrats by the way, *& EVERYONE please remember lift with your legs NOT your back!
    Last edited by Bfromla; 11-18-2018 at 04:08 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I use a MacBook and the Photos app.
    See my thread here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...entation-issue

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wonder if this works.

fullsizeoutput_dea.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

No. The terminals are very soft, and lifting by them will probably ruin it. I have done lots of Batteries, and have seen plenty of broken terminals. Maybe yanking our a bad one that is headed to the trash, but a new one, never!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't "Yank". I carefully pulled it out and after watching other try to get the very heavy battery out made me think of this. It worked great and I was able to drop the new one in just fine. You come up with a better way to get the battery up and out!
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Using a Apple I pad make sure your home button is on the right then your pics will be right side up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just be careful those hooks can bend and cause injury / damage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    No. The terminals are very soft, and lifting by them will probably ruin it. I have done lots of Batteries, and have seen plenty of broken terminals. Maybe yanking our a bad one that is headed to the trash, but a new one, never!
    Look closely, do these terminals look damaged? This is the battery I took out.

fullsizeoutput_dec.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Yes! The left one looks terrible! More importantly, in the instructions, it says do not handle by the terminals! If you still have the old one laying around, smack that terminal with a ball peen hammer. It will crush. Go ahead, it is junk anyway. You will see how soft the terminals are. I just don’t want anyone to ruin a brand new battery, or worse, get hurt. It worked for you, once. I believe you are lucky. In fact, I know you are! Me, not so much. Removing the battery properly does not require hooking a strap to the terminals. A slight change in the terminal might make the connection difficult. Worse, ruin a new battery. YMMV! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Yes! The left one looks terrible! More importantly, in the instructions, it says do not handle by the terminals! If you still have the old one laying around, smack that terminal with a ball peen hammer. It will crush. Go ahead, it is junk anyway. You will see how soft the terminals are. I just don’t want anyone to ruin a brand new battery, or worse, get hurt. It worked for you, once. I believe you are lucky. In fact, I know you are! Me, not so much. Removing the battery properly does not require hooking a strap to the terminals. A slight change in the terminal might make the connection difficult. Worse, ruin a new battery. YMMV! Joe
    The left one looks just like the right one and this IS THE OLD ONE that I took out using the tarp strap with the metal hooks inside each terminal. As I said, come up with a better way to get it up and out.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

shoot flame , that was a good idea ... helped a fellow rider with their battery exchange , those things are a beast to work into the housing of the newer model cycles , getting the cables too cooperate , position the battery , get the hold down for the battery right plus the weight of battery itself , took about 1 hour ! this lifting strap for old battery is a good idea ! as for putting the new battery in next time ... I will call captjam ! ( awwwww come on it was a good place for a joke )

Spyder Garage

The left one looks just like the right one and this IS THE OLD ONE that I took out using the tarp strap with the metal hooks inside each terminal. As I said, come up with a better way to get it up and out.
    I have changed countless batteries in Spyders. Never needed any sort of strap. You simply reach in and pick it up once everything is disconnected and out of the way.

The manufacture CLEARLY states NOT to lift by the terminals. Its not because of distortion to the terminal blocks but because it can easily cause breakage of the terminal from the plates below. Its NOT designed to support the weight of the battery. EVER. You cannot see the cracks and damage caused. Those cracks in the connections are a large part of what leads to battery explosions.

Do not lift the battery using hooks or other methods of attaching to the terminals. If you MUST have a tool to lift the battery, they do exist. They clamp from the sides. I use them in cars and trucks but never found one needed for the small motorcycle batteries.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I have changed countless batteries in Spyders. Never needed any sort of strap. You simply reach in and pick it up once everything is disconnected and out of the way.

The manufacture CLEARLY states NOT to lift by the terminals. Its not because of distortion to the terminal blocks but because it can easily cause breakage of the terminal from the plates below. Its NOT designed to support the weight of the battery. EVER. You cannot see the cracks and damage caused. Those cracks in the connections are a large part of what leads to battery explosions.

Do not lift the battery using hooks or other methods of attaching to the terminals. If you MUST have a tool to lift the battery, they do exist. They clamp from the sides. I use them in cars and trucks but never found one needed for the small motorcycle batteries.
    I'd like to see a video of you "simply reach in and pick it up". I've seen many videos and watch a few guys try to get it out and it was a pain. As I said, come up with a better way.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

As I said, I have removed and replaced countless batteries in Spyders. Once the leads and hold down clamp are removed, the battery tilts forward and you reach in and pick it up. I own and operate a Spyder shop, do this all the time. The hardest part is the awkward angle. If the trunk lid is removed it becomes MUCH easier as you can straddle the nose of the frunk but I seldom have this luxury.

Lifting it via the terminals is NOT a better way. Its asking for trouble.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    As I said, I have removed and replaced countless batteries in Spyders. Once the leads and hold down clamp are removed, the battery tilts forward and you reach in and pick it up. I own and operate a Spyder shop, do this all the time. The hardest part is the awkward angle. If the trunk lid is removed it becomes MUCH easier as you can straddle the nose of the frunk but I seldom have this luxury.

Lifting it via the terminals is NOT a better way. Its asking for trouble.
    Then make a video and show us. What I did had no effect on either the new battery or the old I removed. So what trouble should I expect since neither battery is damaged?
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red