Spyder Garage

Default Winter 2018 upgrades and service questions.

Hi. Looking for some input from better mechanics than me.
    I have a 2012 RT SE 5. 998 V twin. Just turned 20k miles.
    In past winter's I have added sway bar, new tires, magic mirrors, led lights and fogs, couple other safety lights. Added Ella shocks, and belt vibration tensioner.
    I have removed all the side panels.

This winter's projects include oil change to full synthetic oil, adding JT's air filter, Bajaha Ron's plugs and wires, and new vaccum hoses.

All that back ground for this. Since I will be taking off the frunk to do this work, I would like some experienced spider mechanics to chime in if there is other stuff I should be doing while I have everything apart.

Thanks in advance for imput.

Spyder Garage

Default One....

One comes to mind....if you have the zerk fittings to grease the front suspension this would be the time to do it. Or even better change them to a different angle to be able to do it during the year...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I replaced the plugs, plug wires (BajaRon) air filter, along with oil change all without removing the trunk on my 2013 ST. A lot of panels have to come off but never the frunk. I found a 90 degree grease gun fitting to grease the zerks on the A arms. I also wrapped the headers and replaced the seals where the headers go into the catalytic converter. Might check the battery too.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Ken View Post
    Hi. Looking for some input from better mechanics than me.
    I have a 2012 RT SE 5. 998 V twin. Just turned 20k miles.
    In past winter's I have added sway bar, new tires, magic mirrors, led lights and fogs, couple other safety lights. Added Ella shocks, and belt vibration tensioner.
    I have removed all the side panels.

This winter's projects include oil change to full synthetic oil, adding JT's air filter, Bajaha Ron's plugs and wires, and new vaccum hoses.

All that back ground for this. Since I will be taking off the frunk to do this work, I would like some experienced spider mechanics to chime in if there is other stuff I should be doing while I have everything apart.

Thanks in advance for imput.
    I don't know how many miles you do in a year BUT my 2012 RT had iridium plugs Just like yours does and unless the engine is skipping or something there is really NO need to replace them until 28-30,000 or MORE So that only leaves a Oil Change which is a lot easier! I wouldn't replace the air box because even if you like the loud sound that produces no more power when you sell it someday that person may very well decline because of the noise. My opinion only-

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You are on the right track with your mods. It will be good when you see how simple taking off the frunk is. The hardest part is getting the air box out. I used Amsoil 10W40 Metric Motorcycle oil and it holds up great. Definitely grease the 8 fittings on the control arms. You might want to change the coolant and brake fluid too.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

+1 on the changing of the brake fluid as that should be done every two years regardless of the miles.
    If you can find a set of the shock relocaters that Pitbull Powersports used to sell that would be a great upgrade.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Heh Sarge707

I see your from CT. I'm in Indiana now, but born and raised in Devon / Milford - miss the area alot. Like your F3 - Be safe Ken

Spyder Garage

Have at Amsoil, ready to go. For some reason, I am a little hesitant about me changing the brake fluid. Don't know why. You had a 2012 I see - did you find it easy?