Spyder Garage

Default Anyone ever sell something you won?

Well, I won a trailer to pull with the bike in a raffle. I'm really on the fence on whether I wanna keep it, or sell it and get something I like better. It sells for about $3000. Whadaya think, would it be wrong? I just got it home this week so it's literally brand new with 0 miles on it. Now that winter is here, it likely won't see blacktop til April. If I sell it I'd buy something different....If you think you might be interested, PM me and I'll send ya details on it.
    Last edited by Mazo EMS2; 11-13-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If its that WAGS trailer there are plenty of people interested out there and get something you want then.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    If its that WAGS trailer there are plenty of people interested out there and get something you want then.
    It is the WAGS cargo trailer. Wow, someone's paying attention....
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it....

There is no problem selling someting you won. Especially if you are not going to use it or would prefer something different. Go for it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I've donated a number of items for charity auctions. I don't think it is wrong of you to sell the winnings at all. The donor is doing his/her part to raise money. That part is completed, and you should do what you want with it.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Whether you sell it or keep it, it's taxable income. You'll probably get a W-2G for it. See https://www.bnncpa.com/industries/ta..._organizations
    I mention this because the tax liability might be a few hundred dollars on a $3000 prize, and if you keep the trailer, you'll be forking out that money out of your own pocket. Of course, it's still a really nice prize and if you want the trailer, forking out a couple of hundred bucks to keep it wouldn't be too bad.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

What you are proposing happens all the time. Go for it. Nothing illegal or immoral with selling something that you may not have wanted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do whatever pleases you. You won it you can do anything you want with it. Unless there was a disclosure that was signed.

Spyder Garage

Very good trailer.should have no trouble selling it!..That is unless you put a bunch of GB Packers stickers on it..then no!...GO BEARS!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I have stuff I have won that I sold or gave away. Actually, might have a few Spyder items on that list. Guess I need to check what is not installed and part with some of it...

Spyder Garage

I won one of the premier 08 spyders in a Quaker steak and lubes drawing. Put 200 miles on it. Didn't like the sport ride. Sold it in 3 days for 13k.
    Last edited by JP58; 11-14-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I guess I'll sell it then. It's a white WAGS cargo trailer. Not sure if PM is working, but shoot me a msg if interested. Or email me at feinerrp@gmail.com
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Trailer is listed in "For Sale or WTB" Forum for details.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Friend of mine's wife won a car on a TV show, sold the car and used the money for a boob job.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OlJim View Post
    Friend of mine's wife won a car on a TV show, sold the car and used the money for a boob job.
    without pictures; it didn't happen.

PS. not a picture of the car either.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OlJim View Post
    Either one is a deteriorating investment!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Well, I won a trailer to pull with the bike in a raffle. I'm really on the fence on whether I wanna keep it, or sell it and get something I like better. It sells for about $3000. Whadaya think, would it be wrong? I just got it home this week so it's literally brand new with 0 miles on it. Now that winter is here, it likely won't see blacktop til April. If I sell it I'd buy something different....If you think you might be interested, PM me and I'll send ya details on it.
    Since I volunteer doing taxes for AARP I just want to mention that you will probably have to pay taxes on it. 100% definitely if you get a 1099 MISC for it.* There was a case where the person said the value was not people awarding the prize said it was worth, but what he could sell it for since that is what he did. I never heard the outcome of that case. Ask whoever does your taxes or me again in January. But that might reduce your tax bill.

* I feel strongly it is immoral to cheat on your taxes since you are stealing from people who don't cheat. But cheating in a way a computer can catch you is stupid, and a 1099 MISC would allow that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    Since I volunteer doing taxes for AARP I just want to mention that you will probably have to pay taxes on it. 100% definitely if you get a 1099 MISC for it.* There was a case where the person said the value was not people awarding the prize said it was worth, but what he could sell it for since that is what he did. I never heard the outcome of that case. Ask whoever does your taxes or me again in January. But that might reduce your tax bill.

* I feel strongly it is immoral to cheat on your taxes since you are stealing from people who don't cheat. But cheating in a way a computer can catch you is stupid, and a 1099 MISC would allow that.
    Agree with everything you said except that it would be a W-2G since it was won in a raffle and a raffle is considered gambling income. See my previous post above. Not that it makes any significant difference, we're in agreement that taxes will be due. I think you are right that you wouldn't necessarily be bound by the value the charity puts on the W-2G and I agree that the actual sales price would be the best evidence -- however, if you report differently from what the W-2G says, you're going to get correspondence from the IRS and dealing with that may not be much fun.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

W2, 1099? It will probably be one or the other. Bottom line, if you are not an expert with taxes, make sure the form gets entered in your tax program or see that the tax preparer knows about it.
    It will not amount to much (in the scheme of things). The one thing that is a sure thing...death and taxes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But if you give it away to a charity now it's a 100 percent write off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    But if you give it away to a charity now it's a 100 percent write off.
    I wouldn't do that just yet. I can't deduct charitable contributions anymore due to the increase in the standard deduction. You could get stuck with the tax bill but not have the trailer or the cash from selling it.
    Last edited by gnorthern; 11-16-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Whether you sell it or keep it, it's taxable income. You'll probably get a W-2G for it. See https://www.bnncpa.com/industries/ta..._organizations
    I mention this because the tax liability might be a few hundred dollars on a $3000 prize, and if you keep the trailer, you'll be forking out that money out of your own pocket. Of course, it's still a really nice prize and if you want the trailer, forking out a couple of hundred bucks to keep it wouldn't be too bad.
    Sorry I missed this.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see he has it posted for sale..Anyone looking for a trailer at a great price should jump on it..