Spyder Garage

Default This may upset you?

I?ve always said the eyeglass industry is one of the biggest consumer rip offs! 60 Minutes make my point.

https://www.wimp.com/why-are-glasses-so-expensive/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had several conversations about this with my optician friends. He only buys frames from companies that are independent of the big companies that are buying up all the brands. He has some expensive and very high-style ones, but also some stylish and moderately priced ones. I don't shop anywhere else. When I hear someone brag about the brand of their glasses I can only think how stupid they are for getting ripped off.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Ok I am upset,but that does explain a few things.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't read it... Let me put on my "no-frills" $467 dollar glasses, and see if they help!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Oh yeah !!!

Think about it.....how much material goes into a frame. Even if they were gold they would not cost that much.. I found the "Clic" glasses and they have been and are the best for me and the things I do. Mind you I only need them for close up. They have nice selection and run me 49.00 to 79.00 with perscription lens. I do not care who's name are on them. I also don't wear my clothes with the lables hanging out.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

" I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw".

Lew L

In these contentious times I must use the " " smiley lest someone on my ignore list thinks I'm serious.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, my optometrist was a little PO'd when I walked in with a pair of frames to have my prescription lenses installed in them. She asked me where I got them and I told her, Ebay. Same frames she sold for $179 I bought for $49 on Ebay. Not only once, but twice. I always have a backup pair.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRAVO!!

Spyder Garage

I buy my sunglasses at the Mesa Market. The market is a very large open air conglomerate of independant retailers of just about anything a person could need or want. The glasses I buy cost $10.00 and come with a lifetime warranty. If they ever brake, just send $10.00 for shipping and handling to the manyfacturer and they will send you a new pair......:
    Last edited by canamjhb; 11-13-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I saw this about a year or so ago. My ex had a very nice $600 pair of "Tiffany" frames. I am not into name brand stuff--just the basics please. I do note, that if you want any color or style--you have to go upline. We just bought three pair of frames from Lenscrafters and spent almost $900 just for basic stuff. They got us coming and going these days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Even worse than eye glasses is the hearing aid rip-off.
    If an I Phone or Android can do what they do for, say 700 bucks.
    Why the he!! do hearing aids cost so much?
    Don't suggest the 200 dollar ones, they do not have the programming capability of the higher priced ones.
    And those do not have near the computer technology of todays phones.
    But the hearing aids cost 4 to 5 times more than a phone (if not even more than that).

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My prescription glasses cost me 200 something if i were a fashionista/brainless i would probably be paying $500 something

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default $$$$......

If you think glasses and hearing aids have a high profit margin and are overly expensive, try buying accessories for a Can Am spyder.

Spyder Garage

Sure glad I get my glasses and hearing aids from the VA. no charge.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With my bad eyesight, I never get out of a glasses place for under $400. Luckily Costco has decent frames and lenses at a somewhat reasonable cost. And here I thought Spyder farkles were overpriced. Lenscrafters are a ripoff; I bought one pair of frames from them and 6mos later they broke - sorry.. out of warranty, replacement cost was 80% of new. I simply Loctited and heat shrinked it together.
    Last edited by asp125; 11-13-2018 at 08:49 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Check Zenni.I have been getting len's for astigma,bifocal and darkening never spent more than $80 total.Lens's have been spot on.

Spyder Garage

I've been going to Visionworks, but I am a Costco member, and never gave them a thought. I might give them a try. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    My prescription glasses cost me 200 something if i were a fashionista/brainless i would probably be paying $500 something
    So, at what monetary value do you earn the title brainless? Some like to just see, and then some like to see and be seen. You know, it's something like owning a Spyder, at least that is the way it was the first couple of years after the Spyder inception.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    So, at what monetary value do you earn the title brainless? Some like to just see, and then some like to see and be seen. You know, it's something like owning a Spyder, at least that is the way it was the first couple of years after the Spyder inception.
    brainless might be those who want to show off, buy name brand only and live in the belief that the stuff they buy is better quality. i know a few
    people who do just that. the reason i can afford my spyder is because i don't piss it away on other frivolous things, being financially smart doesn't
    make you cheap.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Before we let a pissing match get started over the term "brainless": how about if we just admit that there are at least two factors that affect the cost of eyeglasses?
    How well they work
    How well they look

Some folks will value function over form; while others may be willing to treat them more as equals.
    It's your money, and it's your choice how to spend it...

Spyder Garage

yes bob you are right. it is just i see in my industry people buy stuff they can't truly afford because of name recognition from ads or
    'famous people' who can afford to piss the money away. i don't like to see people spend more then they need to or can afford to or
    repair shops that do repairs that are not necessary.
    so with this glasses thing, the company deserves to show a profit but not as a monogopoly driving up prices.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's just dial back some of the rhetoric, and let folks spend their own money...

After all: Most folks would rather not be told how stupid someone else thinks that they are...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-14-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have a great pair of glasses with coatings, etc from Warby-Parker that ran me $100 online (although since I'm in LA, I was actually able to order in one of their stores). My Zenni prescription sunglasses aren't as nice, but they are under $50.

For those of you who enjoy podcasts...
    https://www.npr.org/2018/03/26/58604...eil-blumenthal
    ("How I Built This" with Warby-Parker)
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I?ve always said the eyeglass industry is one of the biggest consumer rip offs! 60 Minutes make my point.

https://www.wimp.com/why-are-glasses-so-expensive/
    There are ripoffs in any industry, particularly health care related. However, when it comes to frames, there can be very big differences in quality, fit, durability and so forth. I won't pay for fashion, but I will pay for a well-fitted, comfortable and sturdy frame. My vision is important. I think it is worth the effort to find a reliable, honest, competent optometrist and go with their recommendations.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you think that you've got "Ten-Dollar eyeballs": try wearing ten-dollar glasses...

Speaking as a person who has lost a very significant part of his vision: don't take yours for granted!