Spyder Garage

Default BRP Connect with Sena 20s - Why?

Had this posted on a different thread that was asking about they how to connect Sena headsets to an RTL. Didn't want to hijack the thread, so I deleted and reposted here:

We just got a 2018 RTL. We have had Sena 20s for a few years, and really like them and how they work. The 20S pairs with the my phone, letting me listen to the 5600 songs on my SD card, make and receive phone calls, send texts by voice and have them read back to me. If I want to use mobile data I can connect to streaming services like Pandora, Slacker Radio, audio books,etc., connect to the GPS, the Nuvi or I can use the Voice Command on our Garmin Dezl if I want a 7" screen in front of me, intercom with up to 8 other BT intercoms, listen to built in FM radio. (Some features like voice text depends on the phone) I can do most of these by voice or the turn and push of the jog wheel. My wife can independently do the same on her phone, and still use the intercom to bother, uh, talk with me as we ride.

So my question is: Am I missing something? What is the advantage of connecting to the Spyder, especially considering it seems to get the most out of it I'll have to get one or more pay to play apps?
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Your working around some annoyances that people are reporting regarding there experiences with the BRP connect directly by using your phone headset directly. I must say I do that same thing myself for the most part. I do have the phone paired to the spyder use and use a separate USB for charging, I too can make send calls listen to audio and use the Genius Maps without the console interface. I have my phone on a positioned just below the console so a quick glance tells where to go, I also here the directions clearly and like you I have worked around the short comings.

Is BRP connect in need of some fixes yes out of the gate it is a start and will evolve, my 2018 Goldwing yes has a quirk or two but mostly its all there!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The ability to control the phone with gloves on using the joystick rather than trying to touch the phone's screen while going down the highway. I use an old phone with Sygic GPS, Rever and FOBO paired to the bike and my working phone on a mount in the center of my handlebars that I can tweak with gloves that have the thumb and forefinger open. If I have to wear enclosed glover than I'm stuck or have to stop to do anything with the phone. I listen to SiriusXM or phone music along with Waze and Garmin.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red