Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Headset ....hmmm

Hey everyone I have been shopping for a headset unit and the reviews are so mixed. What do you recommend Sena, Cardo Pack, etc? Seems like Cardo is the only waterproof unit I?ve seen. Sena is water resistant but seems to be favored by many. What say you?!

This seems so hard to narrow down.

Spyder Garage

I went for the water proof Pack Talk because of where we live.
    2016 RTL , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

The consensus of most on SL is that they like the offerings from Sena. I have used three other brands and Sena is our favorite. We have the SM 10 version. Going on four years now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

All about features & simplicity, really. Some offered pairing to other brands, or large rear groups, built in radio functions, voice activation features, or longer lasting battery. Just gotta narrow down a list of pros & cons that work for you. Also to consider the clamp on units vs built in. GOOD LUCK

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Talk to Motorcycle Dave, a sponser. He can give you lots of good information.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Sena 20 is our choice. Not too concerned about water proof but have riden in the rain with no issues.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

We also have one pair of Nolan N-com. Performance is okay, they are built in to the helmet. The range is about 3/4 that of our Sena 10's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Check out my assessment of the 30k in this thread
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ight=LeftCoast
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 11-12-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you do group rides > 1 other bike, you might want to research mesh connectivity and compatibility with other brands. ie Sena with Cardo units and how many others you can simultaneously pair with.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I now have a Sena 10c Pro. Like the all in one communication and camera features.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Sena 20 is our choice. Not too concerned about water proof but have riden in the rain with no issues.....
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hello, wife and I have the Scala Packtalks. We’ve tried out others but the Packtalk in “DMC” mode is the guietest headsets we’ve ever owned. Both wear 3/4 helmets with no wind noise at any speed.

Steve

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most of the time you'll get told Sena but those people haven't had any experience with any other headset. I went with Uclear as it doesn't have a boom mike and I like it that I don't have to deal with the mike in front of my face all the time. I tried a Sena 30k and found the Uclear to have better sounds. I will be getting their new Motion6 headsets that have impact sensors that, when triggered, will call emergency services if you don't respond. https://www.ucleardigital.com/motion-series/

Until riders start using these headset in groups and learning how to work them any headset will work. Bluetooth headsets are so complicated that it makes them useless for anything other than rider to passenger and music.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Until riders start using these headset in groups and learning how to work them any headset will work. Bluetooth headsets are so complicated that it makes them useless for anything other than rider to passenger and music.
    Part of me always wants to upgrade my headset based on the theory that if it's more expensive, it must be better. Well, most of the more expensive models seem to be expensive because you're really paying for features and performance you may not even want or need. Flamewinger is right. We sometimes ride with a group and I've never heard anyone even discussing being all together on Bluetooth during the ride. We talk before the ride, when we take breaks, when we eat lunch, when we finish up -- I for one don't particularly want to talk to the group while I'm actually riding and thus I don't need to talk to 8 other people at long range. I just need to talk with my passenger and maybe answer the phone if need be. That's why we just have simple Sena SMH5's. Cheaper, simpler, and perfectly adequate for our purposes. And I find the sound quality to be just fine. If I want great sound, I listen to my stereo at home.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

I’d just keep in mind the latest tech for these sets is “mesh intercom”. Just pop up the little antenna and you can intercom w anyone else who has Mesh. Great for group riding, no pairing necessary. That was the main reason I chose Sena 30K. Never owned other brands but did lots of research. I’ve owned them for 4 months and love them. And if u get the dual pack, the 2 units come already paired (in case u don’t wanna use mesh, just regular intercom). I use regular intercom when doing charity group rides etc. Good luck, hope you’re happy w your purchase.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

+1 for sena here

Spyder Garage

New Packtalk Bold here for me and my pillion and a few other people we ride with.
    2017 RT-S. F4 Customs Wind Shield.

Spyder Garage

I had a UClear first, several years ago and it didn't work well at all. Thankfully, I bought it locally at a Cyclegear and they credited full price for moving to a different unit. Since then I've had a Sena SMH10 and now my wife does too. I was single, after my first wife died, but have remarried so bought one for my backseater. I've used the Sena for several years on long rides with friends and it is a great road trip improvement for knowing what each other are doing and when the mood strikes, having conversations. I have dialed in my music for longer, lonesome stretches of highway. When these no longer work, I think I'll move up to whatever is the current Sena model because of the good experience with this company. The SMH10 is older tech and the newer units are able to pair with more riders, longer distance and are easier to work with. If I don't upgrade for a year or more, who knows what will be the best on the horizon at that point?!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    I’d just keep in mind the latest tech for these sets is “mesh intercom”.
    Yes, the latest technology. First off any headset you have needs to be kept up to date. Second, the latest tech is Mesh and Uclear’s newest will have mesh AND impact tech where, if you have an accident and the headset Is paired to a smartphone, it will call for emergency if you don’t respond and cancel. I can’t wait to get it! (Not sure if this mesh will work with Sena’s Mesh) hope so.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Part of me always wants to upgrade my headset based on the theory that if it's more expensive, it must be better. Well, most of the more expensive models seem to be expensive because you're really paying for features and performance you may not even want or need. Flamewinger is right. We sometimes ride with a group and I've never heard anyone even discussing being all together on Bluetooth during the ride. We talk before the ride, when we take breaks, when we eat lunch, when we finish up -- I for one don't particularly want to talk to the group while I'm actually riding and thus I don't need to talk to 8 other people at long range. I just need to talk with my passenger and maybe answer the phone if need be. That's why we just have simple Sena SMH5's. Cheaper, simpler, and perfectly adequate for our purposes. And I find the sound quality to be just fine. If I want great sound, I listen to my stereo at home.
    We also use the old,simple SMH5 Sena. Works fine for us. It's old ( like me ) but it works perfect answers phone, plays music. great intercom. Talk with other ryders not at all, but I don't want to anyways.

Hay John----- When is the new book coming out???

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow