Spyder Garage

Default Considering Buying an F3

I currently have a 2013 RTL and am very happy with it, but I am considering trading it in on a 2018 F3T after the new year. I would like to know from all you F3 owners what options besides the skid plate have you done to your F3? The only reason I am considering trading my bike is that my hips are starting to hurt when I ride it for over an hour or so.

Thanks
    Rick
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I own an F3L and bought it instead of the F3T mainly for the extra storage offered in the top case. I had the same problem with my RT-S as you have and find the riding position on the F3 was much better for me than the RT. The main things I have added are the driver backrest, F4 taller windshield and Lamonster brake pedal kit to lower the height of the brake pedal. I found the brake pedal way too high from the factory and the Lamonster kit took care of that problem.
    My new ride is a 2017 F3-L: BRP drivers backrest, F4 21" tinted shield w/vent, Lamonster fog lights, TRCLED cyclops light, red/black carbon fiber tank protector and dash kit from Wrap-My-Spyder, FOBO tire pressure monitors and more farkles to come.

Spyder Garage

HIPS, KNEES, FEET... etc.....
    ya, color me IN on that one....
    my 1st SPYD3R was the '09 RS... loved it like it was one of my children... then the F3 came into my life, and the RS was nothing but a memory.... i got the 1st F3 to be sold in the State of South Carolina, and now have just over 55,000 miles of smiles on mine, and it gets better every time i ride her... i am 70+ yrs old, with a bad hip, knee and feet. and the only issue i have is throwing my right leg over the saddle/back rest to mount her... i place my left foot on the left passenger rear peg to mount...
    the F3 has provided me with a seating position that has relieved me of the hip pain i suffered on the RS.... the RT may be different, but the way you sit on the F3, is completely different than both the RS & RT... if you have a pal that owns the F3, try switching with him/her for about 20 miles or so... that will give you a good feel for how your 'comfort margine'... if you don't have a pal... take one out for a test ride at your local dealership...
    good luck, and keep us posted....
    Dan p
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I previously owned a '13 ST-S. I loved it but with the seating position I would sometimes get a cramp in either hip on long rides. Also, since the handlebars weren't adjustable my neck and shoulders would get sore and ache on long trips. I traded for a '15 F3-S in January of '16. Wow! What a difference! With the ability to keep my legs and feet forward I no longer have hip cramps. And with the long reach handlebars I no longer get neck and shoulder pain. To me, the U-fit system is a great invention by BRP.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

LED headlights, LED fog lights, belt tensioner, bungee buttons, shorty antenna, bump skid (unlit), battery charge lead in frunk, padded jacket, padded pants, full face helmet, good boots! Next is rain gear.

Spyder Garage

All my addons are in my sig. First thing I did was LED fog and headlights, then windshield. Last thing I did was the foot pegs right before a week long trip. Every bit has been worth it.

Love my F3-L

Enjoy!
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I had a 15 RTS and now a 18 F3L. My knees and legs hurt on the RTS. Love the room on the F3L. I would get the limited. You get a lot more for your money. Trunk, floorboards, heated grips, and automatic air suspension. I put on a F4 windshield, driver backrest, trunk extender, Baker wings, bar risers, lamonsters cup holder, lamonsters brake lowering rod, belt tensioner a must have.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

The hip pain should be gone with the F3. I bought an RT in 2015 and my hips started bothering me at 50 miles. I sold it 3 months later. Last fall I took an F3 for a ride for about 50 miles with no pain. I bought it the next day. What a difference.

Don

Spyder Garage

I don't know how tall you are, but extending my brake pedal with the U-Fit made a bigger difference in comfort than a new Russell seat. It basically eliminated hip pain for me. My hip pain bothered me more than butt discomfort. Other extras I feel strongly about:

1. Plug in on the handlebars. For a battery tender but more to convert to a USB port for my cell phone (my dealer initially installed it into the trunk and was surprised when I asked to move it).
    2. A Lamonster X grip. It allows placing the cell phone/GPS in a position where it does not block anything.
    3. Luggage rack. There are two good models out there, do not get the OEM one from Can-Am. It slants and is really small. I got one made by MBL Innovations sold by Value Accessories. I can really load down my Spyder with it. Also got luggage type dry bags which are far more convenient than my old top loading dry bags.
    4. Wheel alignment. Huge difference in stability.
    5. LED front lights. I feel safer with them.

Spyder Garage

I am a relatively new owner of a 2018 F3-S. The U-Fit system is incredible. Being able to adjust the position of your feet, the brake pedal, and handlebar depth is amazing, which in turn positions your body in a manner which is most comfortable and least painful. It truly is a custom fit solution.

It may take a bit of trial and error to find your magic combination, but it is worth it, and will be a completely different ride than your Limited.

Spyder Garage

I went from 2013 RTL to a F3 limited... mainly for the same reason because of hip pain and knee pain. I am not completely sold on the F3 but am getting use to it. I added the taller windsheild and baker air wings upper and lowers...it is still a very cold ride. I have been hit in the face and hands by rocks almost every ride ( I wear gloves and helmet with face sheild). I still need to "fit" the legs. The clearnce in the front says it is the same but man... I have hit the front bumper area all the time!!!! That never happened on the RTL. And the driving/wt shifting is really different. I think I do have the feel of the different feel down... the last 2 rides I had a blast! But my knees are happier and my hips are better .

Spyder Garage

My first mod was the third peg - otherwise I was using passenger pegs to get on / off easier. My next favorite mod was adding the driver backrest.

I also have an RTS but don’t find it near as comfy as the F3.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I just got my F3T and have not done any mods on it. All sound good but what is the U fit system? I do need to lower the brake position though.
    2018 Spyder F3T , Bright White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clopez68 View Post
    I just got my F3T and have not done any mods on it. All sound good but what is the U fit system? I do need to lower the brake position though.
    Ufit means the pegs / footboards have adjustable positions 1 - 5 to accommodate riders of different inseams / height for comfort. Also there are different style handle bars that can be used - I switched out to the short reach bars and have my foot boards set at 3.

From the Can Am site - "The exclusive Spyder F3 UFit system lets you precisely position the pegs
    according to your height and choose the handlebar based on your preferred
    riding style—ensuring a truly customized riding experience."
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I bought the F3T because the RT hurt me to sit on, never mind ride. The F3 platform is a perfect pain-free fit! So far, I've added the detachable passenger backrest, passenger floorboards, U-Fit #5 brake linkage, my Garmin Zumo 450, trusty old Roady satellite radio, an auxiliary fuse block, heated clothing connections and a MotoChello wired audio system (using Motorcycle Dave's interface cable meant for the Sena). If I hadn't bought the F3T because it was a year non-current, I'd buy the F3L. You can always take the trunk off and my wallet punches me in the butt every time I even look at a factory trunk!
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Rick,
    Fit adjustable Madstad screen. Rox risers for bars. Backrest for rider. Belt tensioner.

The above make it more comfortable all round.
    2016 F3Ltd , Red