Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

After reading all of the responses so far, I was struck by very few mentions of the purpose of your gear. I think you must first decide why you are wanting to wear special gear on the Spyder. What-ever you decide is entirely up to you of course. Next you must decide if you are comfortable with something that covers only part of your lower body or all of it. Chaps don't cover the back half which is where most bodies tend to fall and slide in an accident. Next is the warmth or not issue; again chaps only cover half while textile pants cover all and usually are available with both quilted and rain liners. All that said, I will add that I come from the world of riding motorcycles pretty aggressively and have been wearing all the gear all the time for the protection it provides since the summer of 2000. I started that practice after seeing that a good friend of mine came out of a potentially deadly accident with only a few bruises, but no scrapes or cuts because he was wearing full gear including a modular helmet, leather gloves and heavy boots.

To deal with hot or cold, I have two complete sets of gear. Mesh for summer months and solid textile for winter. Bein ATGATT guy, the issue of ease of removing is not a big deal for me as I never plan to remove my gear until the ride is over. However, before I retired I did still wear all the gear and carried my work clothes neatly folded military style in a plastic bag. Then when I got to work, I would simply slip into the restroom and get out of my gear which usually included jeans and t-shirt warmer clothes in the winter; then into my work clothes.

To address one question brought up about textile gear being too hot; that's where mesh gear is great as it is not really all that much hotter than jeans and a sport shirt but provides you with far more protection in the event of an accident. So that choice should really boil down to this; "I'd rather sweat than bleed."

In the end think it through from all perspectives; skid protection, warmth, cool factor and decide which is most important to you.
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 11-17-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    After reading all of the responses so far, I was struck by very few mentions of the purpose of your gear. I think you must first decide why you are wanting to wear special gear on the Spyder.

To address one question brought up about textile gear being too hot; that's where mesh gear is great as it is not really all that much hotter than jeans and a sport shirt but provides you with far more protection in the even of an accident. So that choice should really boil down to this; "I'd rather sweat than bleed."

In the end think it through from all perspectives; skid protection, warmth, cool factor and decide which is most important to you.

Very well said.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Colorado chapps custom made to fit you and fleece lined.��

All I want to do is ride!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    This is a serious question. How do you right in that suit when the temps get in the upper 90's? Even the upper 80's for that matter? I have a non mesh jacket and at 70 degrees I absolutely bake.

Textile pants and suits from Aerostitch and others are breathable and are comfortable in the cold and the heat. Look for Gortex or equivalent fabrics.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Pants on the bike..chaps in the bedroom!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe in ATGATT!
    Having said that: if you wanna look like a Cowboy... wear the chaps. If you wanna look like a rider... get yourself some Kevlar lined riding pants.
    In any event: leave the spurs at home!

(IMHO)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I believe in ATGATT!
    Having said that: if you wanna look like a Cowboy... wear the chaps. If you wanna look like a rider... get yourself some Kevlar lined riding pants.
    In any event: leave the spurs at home!

(IMHO)
    I am an ATGATT rider myself. I am also in the Hi-Viz camp. One thing we ATGATT riders do have to remember that it is a freedom of choice decision for all riders.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Chaps but not until the temps get into the 20's
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue