Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BRP Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I would expect aluminum or pot metal, magnesium is too expensive and corrodes readily. If you can get it off, or get at it good enough, you could drill and insert a Heli-Coil.
    I'd second the Heli-coil solution. They work good. We put them in all four threaded holes of the windshield mount.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Invalid Emails
    Laval, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
    Spyder Garage

I went to a friend of mine who rebuilts engine and he said he was going install an heli-coil.. But then he didn't have the right size in stock, so he tapped the hole to a bigger size thread, end of that story...

I just can't believe how bad are the instructions from BRP... Anyway I'm all happy, my wife and I will be able to use the Spyder tonight.. Woohoo after 3 long days...

Thank you all for your responses...

Eric R

Last edited by Pocketrace; 08-06-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

For future reference, don't remove the front bolts on the rear passenger peg.

Took me about 3 hours. Thanks for the pics.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Spyder Garage

Wanted to bump this thread and pass along a thanks to firefly for posting photos and tips of this installation.

One of the locking receptacles on my setup (the one inside the left signal light re-location bracket) failed and the metal easily bent-in in that area. This left the bag on that side useless, as it would not hold or mount in place. A LONG story short, since this part (708 300 256 - is not resalable) is not available through BRP, or anywhere for that matter, I had that part built-up with metal by a local welding shop. They also commented on the metal in that area and said it failed because it was thin. The weld job seemed to have worked (250km on the bags now, with load, over the occasional bumpy road). So far so good.

So, firefly, thanks for the helpful tips on the BRP R35 Ridged Saddle bag installation!!

Expect for that failed mounting point, I an enjoying the bags very much and how have much more capacity for my daily tasks and resource runs. The look of the bags is fantastic, I think, and does nothing but add to the look of the Spyder, rather then take anything away.

More importantly for me the carry a good bit of gear. A great feature I enjoy about is they are VERY QUICK to disconnect, as mentioned in other posts. 20 seconds and both bags are off. 2 minutes are both bags and racks are off, providing that sleek stock look of the Spyder.

Cheers!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Firefly

Thanks Firefly, I'm wading through the pathetic fitting instructions and poor quality control (can’t remove left indicator due to lock nut spinning the shaft).
    As highlighted, part 12 and 13 (front mounting brackets) I had no idea how they went on, or where. I just went back outside and got it sorted after almost another hour! I'm concerned about the inner bolt hole at the left foort rest bracket, as it feels like it's stripping as per the previous fellas post. I'll look back into it tomorrow. I really appreciate the effort you took to post this thread mate.
    Best wishes from Australia.
    Ken
    Last edited by Baytown; 11-20-2010 at 06:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default One other issue with the fitting of the kit

If you have the BRP Sport Rack already installed, then the cable which releases the top plate passes through a frame bracket on the left rear of the machine.
    The bracket for the Left Rear Support (part #P8) can't be bolted up properly due to the cable running through the mounting hole. You will only be able to use the outside bolt, instead of two mounting bolts. I'm not pulling the whole assembly apart again to re rout the cable, that's for sure!

Also for any Aussies, Kiwis etc, the over sized indicators we have are contacting the top of my bags while it's all trial fitted, so I reckon it would be the same for all AU spec machines. It doesn't seem to be an adjustment issue with the frame mounting points etc.

Ken
    Last edited by Baytown; 11-20-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just curious..how much time does BRP allocate for dealer labor to install thier bags?

Spyder Garage

Dealer installed mine about a year ago and if I remember correctly it was between 3-4 hours. I think he was originally going to charge me four but took it down to 3.5.
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default spyder saddlebag install.

I am getting ready to install the sportrack. I am just trying to make sure I know what I am doing. I Bought my bike with the r-35 bags on it.
    I know the rack installation calls for taking the plastic cover off the back end.

Problem is the turn signal relocation thing goes Through the cover. How do I take it off so I can get the cover off?

after looking at your pictures closely I think I have the answer... So I am just checking.

It looks like after I remove the fender (bottom cover) I will find that there are 2 bolts per relocater which must be removed, then unplug the connector and slide out...

Right?

Also anyone know of a good doc on the installation of the sport rack?

Anyone know of a good top case which will mount to the sport rack easily and has a backrest?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by challman View Post
    I am getting ready to install the sportrack. I am just trying to make sure I know what I am doing. I Bought my bike with the r-35 bags on it.
    I know the rack installation calls for taking the plastic cover off the back end.

Problem is the turn signal relocation thing goes Through the cover. How do I take it off so I can get the cover off?

after looking at your pictures closely I think I have the answer... So I am just checking.

It looks like after I remove the fender (bottom cover) I will find that there are 2 bolts per relocater which must be removed, then unplug the connector and slide out...

Right?

Also anyone know of a good doc on the installation of the sport rack?

Anyone know of a good top case which will mount to the sport rack easily and has a backrest?
    Yes you are correct about the 2 bolts as far as a document for the install of the sportrack did you try a search? Fyi Thats why i switched to the givi racks so i don't have to mess with those 2 bolts everytime i need to work behind there.

Roger

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Yes you are correct about the 2 bolts as far as a document for the install of the sportrack did you try a search? Fyi Thats why i switched to the givi racks so i don't have to mess with those 2 bolts everytime i need to work behind there.
    thanks for the info

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    Just curious..how much time does BRP allocate for dealer labor to install thier bags?
    Charged me for 2 1/2 hours as an estimate since mine was their first install ( I have as much mechanical ability as a geriatric Manatee) and it took about 3 1/2 in reality. Only charged me for the 2 1/2. He's a pretty ethical dealer. BUT, I also have the "Twisted left side turn signal bad weld issue"

Fortunately I don't suffer from obsessive compulsion disorder so I will be perfectly happy with asymmetrical turn signals! of course anyone following me will go nuts looking at them!!

Spyder Garage

I installed mine about a month after I got my Spyder, and it took about 3.5 hours. No issues to report. They may have updated the instructions since this thread was started, I don't know, but for someone with very little mechanical ability, and unfamiliar with the product, I had no major issues. I do like the "European" styling over the corbin design and the convenience of being able to remove them and the bracket. They are over priced in my view, but so are most BRP addons.
    I don't consider myself a Spyder Ryder, I consider myself a Spyder Pylot!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default can am bags

After see-ing the pics on here i am going to order some, but i was wondering how much of a mess the brackets look if say you did not want to have the bags installed all of the time. Does any one have a pic. Thanks for any help.

Also i am thinking of replacing my hindle with twin two brothers pipes, is there enough room under the right side for twins . Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by 34fun; 08-03-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 34fun View Post
    After see-ing the pics on here i am going to order some, but i was wondering how much of a mess the brackets look if say you did not want to have the bags installed all of the time. Does any one have a pic. Thanks for any help.

Also i am thinking of replacing my hindle with twin two brothers pipes, is there enough room under the right side for twins . Thanks for your help.
    Sorry, I never thought to take a picture with the racks removed. All that is left when they are off is the turn signal extension stalks. They really don't look bad at all.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply, what I'm tying to say is if i left the bags off my bike till i needed them am i looking at this and if so how easy is it to remove the bracket also when not using the bags ? Thanks saddle_bag_mount.jpg

Spyder Garage

after the bags are off, the racks come off in 15 seconds a side.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Dave

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default bag installation

Does the Rear turn signal extension come with bags? Can't find them listed anywhere.
    Y

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Not really a 'Step by Step', but here are some photos that should help clear up the poor BRP destructions.

A few things:

Make sure you are mounting the proper turn signal to the proper side. The pics should help.

You have pull on the turn signal wires while pushing them into the hole and then into the bar - you can only really fit one connector through at a time - kind of tricky - but pulling from the other end helps a ton - just had to pull a bit harder than I expected.

Hopefully the photos will help with the rest. PM me if you have any questions.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea#2 View Post
    Does the Rear turn signal extension come with bags? Can't find them listed anywhere.
    Y
    Never mind--installed the bags today in about 3-1/2 hours, turn signals relocated.

Spyder Garage

Default That wasn't supposed to be there...

Ok, I'm stuck trying to install these on a 2012 RS.

I've got all the hardware installed except the turn signal bracket on the left hand side (behind the battery). The one on the right side, went on easily. The problem with the left side is there is a nut welded onto the front of the frame where the bracket is supposed to go....

I can't be the only one with a nut welded on at the factory, wtf, no one elses pictures have showed this. What am I supposed to do??

bracketproblem.jpg

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    Ok, I'm stuck trying to install these on a 2012 RS.

I've got all the hardware installed except the turn signal bracket on the left hand side (behind the battery). The one on the right side, went on easily. The problem with the left side is there is a nut welded onto the front of the frame where the bracket is supposed to go....

I can't be the only one with a nut welded on at the factory, wtf, no one elses pictures have showed this. What am I supposed to do??

bracketproblem.jpg
    I ended up installing it on the inside of the front part of the frame, inside the channel. Everything appears to look good *whew*
    It was much harder to fit the tools in, it was already a tight fit.
    The bolts included with the kit wouldn't fit, however the throw-away bolts from the passenger foot pegs fit perfectly inside there.
    All the panels are back on the Spyder, tomorrow I will put the racks on and tighten everything up...

What a pain dealing with the unexpected!

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Thanks for letting folks know about this new wrinkle. I wonder if the kits have been changed to accomodate this nut, or if yours is an anomaly?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Thanks for letting folks know about this new wrinkle. I wonder if the kits have been changed to accomodate this nut, or if yours is an anomaly?
    You would think its standard on the 2012... the nut was definitely welded on before they painted the frame... kind of weird.

Alright, new sticking point. So I followed everyone's suggestion of putting the mono-frames on before tightening things down. The alignment seems fine, everything goes on easily. nothing seems to giggle when i tug on it. I tighten the mono-frames as far as the 3 fast connect fasteners will go.... yet going down the road, I've repeatedly had two fasteners on one of the racks pop out when I hit a bump, leaving only the turn signal securing the case. At first I thought maybe I didn't tighten the fasteners enough, but when it happened a second time I became worried.

Any ideas what might be going on here?

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Never mind, the lesson learned is triple check my work

A warning to anyone installing these, when you are doing your adjustments with the mono-frames installed, it feels very sturdy because of the 3 points of contact.

When I went back and checked, the lower brackets were all fine because they were connected into the foot pegs. However when I pushed my finger through the grill on the battery side, the bracket behind the panel just pushed away. I cranked down on the two bolts, finding I had never tightened that side. Now it doesn't move when I press it, and a test drive didn't have a mid-ride disconnect.

Thankfully it didn't take a $700 broken piece on the side of the road for me to realize my mistake

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder: