Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BRP Saddle Bags

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt John View Post
    The holes would not line up. I spent about 35 minutes trying to get it to work. The panel was hitting the front right support bracket. I finally just notched out about 1 1/2" X 3/8" and everything fit back together.
    I ran into the same problem. At first I thought I did something wrong, but ended up cutting a piece of it to make it fit.

A couple of days later, I took the panels out to wire the GPS to the battery and realized I probably could have pushed the panels more to align the holes and not have to cut a small part of it. What is done is done.

Spyder Garage

Hmmmm - strange. I didn't have any problem with the fit of the panels. Glad you found a workaround.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
    Fire,

You're a good guy....thank you for posting this...when I get around to getting the bags, I'll probably nag you to tell me where this thread is again...

Thanks in advance..

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up brp bags and windshield

Picked up parts thursday. Put windshield on that night and drove to work friday morning. Was not impressed with the turbulence from this windshield but after installing side deflectors am very impressed with the decrease in buffeting. Put my BRP bags on saturday and can't say enough about fit and finish of this product. Now I need floorboards, cruise control and radio. I will have this set up like my old gold wing in no time.
    Last edited by oneway; 07-05-2009 at 05:00 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Do the BRP bags use a different key or is it the same as the ignition key?

It would be nice to have one key for the bike and bags.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bwlinux View Post

Totally different (GIVI) key. Sorry.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bwlinux View Post

The bags have their own key--- but one key fits both bags. Much smaller key that the Spyder key.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default instructions

Thanks to everyone who posted feedback on your saddle bag installation. I just took a 100 mile round trip to my dealer and brought a set of the Givi Bags. Guess what? NO Instructions! welcomeDoes anyone have a copy in electronic form that they could send me. I've called my dealer for the instructions but I have a feeling they may take a while to send them to me.

thanks to all. Ice

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I received my BRP bags today. No instructions but the dealer said he'd get them to me. Which is Okay as I have to wait for my Corbin smuggler trunk and seat to arrive and then I can start to install everything at once. I decided to go with the BRP bags not Corbins. Saved a grand and I think I will like the look. + I can remove the bags at will. The Smuggler trunk looks pretty good on there by its self. It will switch out with the passenger seat. I think I like this modular stuff.
    Thanks Firefly & Scotty, in advance for the heads up on possible sticking points.
    I will post pictures in a few weeks after all is finished.

Mike
    Last edited by Arachnid; 10-08-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnid View Post
    I received my BRP bags today. No instructions but the dealer said he'd get them to me. Which is Okay as I have to wait for my Corbin smuggler trunk and seat to arrive and then I can start to install everything at once. I decided to go with the BRP bags not Corbins. Saved a grand and I think I will like the look. + I can remove the bags at will. The Smuggler trunk looks pretty good on there by its self. It will switch out with the passenger seat. I think I like this modular stuff.
    Thanks Firefly & Scotty, in advance for the heads up on possible sticking points.
    I will post pictures in a few weeks after all is finished.

Mike
    If you didn't get the instructions, did you get the hardware. They normally come in the same bag. If you get stuck, PM me an email address and I can scan the instructions and parts list.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Got all the hardware (I think) all bags are sealed. Looks like a pretty tricky install. But I have some pretty capable help.
    I will let you know if the dealers instructions don't come.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Invalid Emails
    Laval, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
    Spyder Garage

Coming back on the installation..

I was wondering if anyone who installed their BRP Saddlebags could tell me what tools are needed to do the install. My dealer just received my bags and I was planning to install them directly at my dealer (in the parking lot) wich is 90 miles away from home. I don't want to drive there with my car.

Anyone ?

Thank you in advance...

Fell like I'll be swearing a lot in the near future..

Eric

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketrace View Post
    Coming back on the installation..

I was wondering if anyone who installed their BRP Saddlebags could tell me what tools are needed to do the install. My dealer just received my bags and I was planning to install them directly at my dealer (in the parking lot) wich is 90 miles away from home. I don't want to drive there with my car.

Anyone ?

Thank you in advance...

Fell like I'll be swearing a lot in the near future..

Eric
    I would not do it this way. It requires removing several body panels, so you will have lots of loose hardware. The instructions are also missing one step, so you will want access to this thread to see what you really need to do...plus there are some tips here. As to tools, I used what I needed with my toolbox handy, including a torque wrench. I am not sure exactly which tools, but I doubt the ones in your toolkit will do the job...at least not quickly and efficiently. You will also want a blanket or something soft to put removed panels on, and to put the color panels on the bags without scuffing them.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I would not do it this way. It requires removing several body panels, so you will have lots of loose hardware. The instructions are also missing one step, so you will want access to this thread to see what you really need to do...plus there are some tips here. As to tools, I used what I needed with my toolbox handy, including a torque wrench. I am not sure exactly which tools, but I doubt the ones in your toolkit will do the job...at least not quickly and efficiently. You will also want a blanket or something soft to put removed panels on, and to put the color panels on the bags without scuffing them.
    From reading some of the threads concerning owner installation of these brackets, I was thinking that trying to do the install in a parking lot would be a little too difficult.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It took me most of an afternoon to install the bags and like others have said, the instructions are not clear.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for your resplies,

But I have a few reasons to this overthere...
    Also my dealer told me I could use their garages so I' ll be inside in a controlled environment ..

This week I will 1st take the whole rear apart to know what I'm getting into, then I'll see...

If anybody else has a list of tools needed, feel free to respond....

Eric R
    Laval, Qc, Canada

Spyder Garage

I would say this install will take a good 4 hours for a first-timer. Instructions are poor and you will curse. You would really want to be near a computer to look at the various install pics.

I can't remember all the sizes off hand-- but you'll need multiple open-end and socket wrenches of the same size (two 13 mm and two 10 mm I think).

An extra set of hands is handy too.

I'd pick them up in a car and do it at home.... or have the dealer just ship them to you--- probably cost less than the gas will for 180 miles round trip.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile Givi Bags

I had the same set that you show, the problem with them is you will not be able to take the side panels off unless you remove the blinker light relocaters. I sold mine and replaced them with the PLX999. Still has a place to mount the blinkers if you want, but you can still take the side panels off with out removing the hole set up. I also used the magic mans leds and removed the stock blinkers, a much better set up. Plus your dealer will charge you an extra 1.5 hrs if he has two get in there. I know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roy's Bassets View Post
    I had the same set that you show, the problem with them is you will not be able to take the side panels off unless you remove the blinker light relocaters. I sold mine and replaced them with the PLX999. Still has a place to mount the blinkers if you want, but you can still take the side panels off with out removing the hole set up. I also used the magic mans leds and removed the stock blinkers, a much better set up. Plus your dealer will charge you an extra 1.5 hrs if he has two get in there. I know.
    It's pretty rare that you need to remove those panels... and it's not that hard--- just takes an extra 10-15 minutes.

The thing I love about the BRP setup is the quick-release racks---

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ok Ok..

I call it quits.. I will arranged to take them home by car... You win..

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Roy's Bassets View Post
    I sold mine and replaced them with the PLX999. Still has a place to mount the blinkers if you want, but you can still take the side panels off with out removing the hole set up. I also used the magic mans leds and removed the stock blinkers, a much better set up.
    What are the PLX999 and what are Magic Mans Leds ? Any pictures ?

Thank you

Eric R

Spyder Garage

What are the PLX999...

Industries 7 Inc. Givi rack system for the Spyder.

http://www.industries7.com/pages/Spy360.jsp
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the link...

I started installing the racks today.. Wow like you all said.. The instructions are BAD !!! I had them in French and English, I'm fully bilingual and DARN I couln't follow any of the two properly..

Luckily I didn't start that away from home.. Once again thank you for the warning...

Now I made a Boo-Boo... It's probably something that was already wrong with the right rear peg but once I started tightening it I felt the threads giving away... Darn !! Now I don't feel like taking the whole rear peg assembly off and re-tapping it...

But I guess I have no other choice... Anybody has another idea ?
    I feel like filling it with epoxy but if I ever need to take the peg off or the whole rack I will be in trouble...

I need help... I really didn't tightened it too hard.. The threads just gave away..

Please help !!! Any idea.. ??

Eric R

Spyder Garage

Now I made a Boo-Boo... It's probably something that was already wrong with the right rear peg but once I started tightening it I felt the threads giving away... Darn !! Now I don't feel like taking the whole rear peg assembly off and re-tapping it...

But I guess I have no other choice... Anybody has another idea ?
    I feel like filling it with epoxy but if I ever need to take the peg off or the whole rack I will be in trouble...

I need help... I really didn't tightened it too hard.. The threads just gave away..
    Please help !!! Any idea.. ??
    If the threads failed on the bolt, it can simply be replaced. If they failed in the frame or bracket, there would be two choices. Easiest, if there is room, would be to use a longer bolt and back it with a nut, preferably a locknut. The other choice would be to drill the hole larger, tap it, and use the next size bolt. From the pictures, this is not a place a thread insert would work.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If the threads failed on the bolt, it can simply be replaced. If they failed in the frame or bracket, there would be two choices. Easiest, if there is room, would be to use a longer bolt and back it with a nut, preferably a locknut. The other choice would be to drill the hole larger, tap it, and use the next size bolt. From the pictures, this is not a place a thread insert would work.
    I wish it was the threads of the bolt... That would of been a no brainer..

But it's the threads from the pegs that are gone...

Does anybody know if the pegs are in aluminum or magnesium ? I might have a friend weld the hole and retap it. Lots of work ahead...

Eric R

Spyder Garage

I wish it was the threads of the bolt... That would of been a no brainer..

But it's the threads from the pegs that are gone...

Does anybody know if the pegs are in aluminum or magnesium ? I might have a friend weld the hole and retap it. Lots of work ahead...

Eric R
    I would expect aluminum or pot metal, magnesium is too expensive and corrodes readily. If you can get it off, or get at it good enough, you could drill and insert a Heli-Coil.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!