Spyder Garage

Default GPS not charging

Wife has a 2017 RT Limited and it came with a Garmin Zumo 590. The mount installed on the Sypder operates the GPS just fine but, unlike her 2011 RT Limited, the mount is NOT charging the GPS. Even after an all day ride, when you disconnect the GPS from mount we are notified that there is not enough battery to run the GPS.

This is not a huge deal but occasionally it is easier to manipulate the GPS (ie. search for a waypoint) if it is not in the mount.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone else experience this?

Spyder Garage

If it works only when plugged in -- almost sounds like the battery in the GPS unit is going south.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    If it works only when plugged in -- almost sounds like the battery in the GPS unit is going south.
    . Unless it's always been that way since you have owned it.

I've had Zumos for over 10 years and never had to replace a battery, although I have had to remove the battery and reset the gps from time to time.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

some times when you install it when it's on it will not charge
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

I had my 590 about six months when I noticed at Spyder shutdown I'd get a "Battery Low" warnning from the GPS. I took the it off the bike and plugged it into my computer and it would not charge more than about 75%. I called Garmin about it and they had me leave it charging for 24 hours where it still wouldn't charge more than 75% so they replaced the battery free under warranty. The replacement has performed perfectly since installation. Touch wood.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

With all above & if has not been charging right from day 1 then the batter could be too far gone to take a charge now. have all pertinent info ready & call Garmin

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I purchased a 590 this spring, due to the OEM 660 that quit working. From day one the unit would not hold a charge. I called Garmin and they had me send it to them. They replaced it with a 595 unit.
    So far so good!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I have had trouble my Garmin 590 since I bought my new 2015 RT. Garmin even sent me a new battery shortly after I discovered my battery would not charge properly. The new battery made no difference...until this past summer when I discovered this link. I followed the instructions and it appears that my Garmin 590 battery is finally charging normally.

http://outsider-adventure.blogspot.c...ttery-fix.html

Hopefully, it will work for you.

Gunner
    Last edited by Gunner3773; 11-12-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wish that I had seen this before ordering a new battery for mine. Would have saved me $55.00!!!!!
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    I have had trouble my Garmin 590 since I bought my new 2015 RT. Garmin even sent me a new battery shortly after I discovered my battery would not charge properly. The new battery made no difference...until this past summer when I discovered this link. I followed the instructions and it appears that my Garmin 590 battery is finally charging normally.

http://outsider-adventure.blogspot.c...ttery-fix.html

Hopefully, it will work for you.

Gunner
    I tried the fix in the link and after getting the first pin out and separated, got to thinking there might be an easier way. I was already using a fairly powerful magnifying glass out of necessity and decided to take a look at the end of the pins while still fully inserted. Sure enough, you can see the ends and I discovered the tips can be separated using a large sewing needle without having to remove them as shown. I am currently charging the unit and will report back in a little while on the results.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Alrighty! My unit did not show the battery being charged after my first attempt, so I took it to the magnifying glass a second time and made sure I got some separation. I then plugged it back in for a while and when I unplug it now, it seems to be showing and holding a fully charged battery just as described in the link above.

Thank you Gunner3773 for sharing that very useful information.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I installed the new battery into my 590 and kept it on charge for 24 hours. When I checked it, it was only at the first green indicator, so I left it on charge for another 48 hours - same result. I contacted Garmin via live chat and after explaining my situation, the gentleman said that the GPS unit was not charging the battery because I was not using their charging unit ($35) and the battery that I had purchased and installed was probably an aftermarket unit and that was the problem. I explained that the battery was a factory sealed Garmin battery. At that, he said that it was probably the GPS itself that was the problem, but it was no longer in warranty. I replied that I was NOT going to purchase another GPS unit to replace a defective one with one that may have the same problem. He said that I could send the original unit back and they would replace it with another for $180. Since it works fine while it's on the Spyder, I'll just stay with what I've got. Rant over.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    the gentleman said that the GPS unit was not charging the battery because I was not using their charging unit ($35)
    What "charging unit" are you using ?

You might want to try a different one. It will NOT charge good from a computer USB port.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    What "charging unit" are you using ?

You might want to try a different one. It will NOT charge good from a computer USB port.
    I'm using the Garmin charging cable, but attaching it to an adapter plugged into an electrical outlet. I use the same approach charging my phones and another GPS unit and it works just fine.

Spyder Garage

I have always just plugged my 590 into my computer using a USB/mini-USB cable and it charges fine, exclusive of the battery problem I reported in Post #5.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you noticed the posts about loose contact pins in the battery connector inside the GPS ?