Thread: F3-T vs RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default F3-T vs RT SE6

So, i'm finally back in the saddle and looking for my new Spyder. I've found and F3-T and an RT SE6. Other than the rear cargo, running boards and speakers, what are the differences? I can get the F3-T for 18K and the RT for 21.6. So roughly a 3500. difference. Seems I can buy boards and rear storage for less if I really wanted it but I personally don't think I need the rear storage unless the side bags can't hold my helmet.
    Input Please

Spyder Garage

Default Different

These are two different rides - the choice depends on which is more comfortable for you and /or your passenger.

Side bags on F3 don't hold anything hardly - they will not hold my helmet neither will the frunk.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Have you test ridden both machines to decide which model's ride best suits you? If not, you're worrying about secondary issues. JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The F3L frunk holds my 3X HJC modular just fine. The saddle bags don’t hold much but you can add an aftermarket trunk like a Shad for trips. It would still be a good idea to ride both and see which you prefer.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ph2ocraft View Post
    So, i'm finally back in the saddle and looking for my new Spyder. I've found and F3-T and an RT SE6. Other than the rear cargo, running boards and speakers, what are the differences? I can get the F3-T for 18K and the RT for 21.6. So roughly a 3500. difference. Seems I can buy boards and rear storage for less if I really wanted it but I personally don't think I need the rear storage unless the side bags can't hold my helmet.
    Input Please
    Two other differences include Heated Grips and Automatic Self-leveling Rear Air Suspension. This Fall, I really came to appreciate the heated grips on my RT and would add them in a second if I owned an F3-T.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

As mentioned, it's really important to try and test ride both. Besides features and comfort for you, one of the most important things that I don't think gets mentioned enough is handling! While I haven't owned an RT series, I have had plenty of chances to drive one, and I think the F3 series is a much better handling machine! And, my 2X Schuberth modular helmet does fit in the frunk of my F3 Daytona.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    Two other differences include Heated Grips and Automatic Self-leveling Rear Air Suspension. This Fall, I really came to appreciate the heated grips on my RT and would add them in a second if I owned an F3-T.
    The heated grips on my 2014 RT really spoiled me. Although I will probably always have 2 bike, at least one of them will have heated grips. When I ordered my 2016 F3T, the first thing I asked for was for them to add heated grips. They are not as good as the ones on the RT (only one setting, and it is about like low on the RT at best), but better than nothing.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have an RT and have been shopping for either an F3T or "L". To me there are several major differences.

First of all, wind and weather protection. The RT has much better protection from the elements, including an electric windscreen that is adjustable. The F3 windscreen is fixed with no adjustment. The RT has more body work that protects the rider from the elements. If you like being out "there" or if you like a higher level of protection, that will lead you in one direction or another.

Then there is the riding position. The F3 has the down in it, feet forward riding position, akin to a cruiser. The RT has the more traditional riding position of being up higher/on top with the feet more underneath. People have preferences and opinions, but it's up to the rider to decide.

Maybe because you're lower and the center of gravity is lower on the F3, it feels livelier and seems to handle better than the RT. As I understand it, the newer models are fitting with the DPS II, which is a revised and improved power steering module. I have not ridden a new RT, so I can't say if that changes the handling characteristics on that model or not.

Again, whether it's because of overall improvements or model differences, I can't say; however, what I can say is the newer F3's I've ridden have better braking. Although, I don't like the brake pedal position on the F3. However, I think that can be modified to preference.

As mentioned, the storage on the F3 is very limited. Whoever designed the side cases should be fired. From the outside, they look great, but once inside they're really small and limited. The taillight assembly intrudes into the storage excessively and really limits what goes in there. The top box on the "L" is nice and roomy, but like the side cases, are somewhat light and plasticy, and the hinges on the top box are flimsy and care must be exercised in closing.

Also, touched upon is the frunk space. Because of the change in radiator design, the F3 has a greatly reduced frunk capacity.

If touring, the RT is clearly superior. If daytripping, or if the performance is your issue, the F3 is the better choice. IMHO
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    These are two different rides - the choice depends on which is more comfortable for you and /or your passenger.

Side bags on F3 don't hold anything hardly - they will not hold my helmet neither will the frunk.
    I don't like the not holding the helmet comment, kind of makes a decision for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Have you test ridden both machines to decide which model's ride best suits you? If not, you're worrying about secondary issues. JMO.
    Both ride just fine to me. Yes one is more comfy versus the other but it's a secondary concern to me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    So they both have air suspension but one is self leveling, is that correct?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    As mentioned, it's really important to try and test ride both. Besides features and comfort for you, one of the most important things that I don't think gets mentioned enough is handling! While I haven't owned an RT series, I have had plenty of chances to drive one, and I think the F3 series is a much better handling machine! And, my 2X Schuberth modular helmet does fit in the frunk of my F3 Daytona.
    Thanks for the input, I will take my helmet with me today.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    The heated grips on my 2014 RT really spoiled me. Although I will probably always have 2 bike, at least one of them will have heated grips. When I ordered my 2016 F3T, the first thing I asked for was for them to add heated grips. They are not as good as the ones on the RT (only one setting, and it is about like low on the RT at best), but better than nothing.
    I'm a fan of heated grips and thew aftermarket never seem to be as good, just not sure if it's a deal breaker for me as I do ride with very thin heated gloves and I've gotten quite used to them. Thanks for the input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I have an RT and have been shopping for either an F3T or "L". To me there are several major differences.

First of all, wind and weather protection. The RT has much better protection from the elements, including an electric windscreen that is adjustable. The F3 windscreen is fixed with no adjustment. The RT has more body work that protects the rider from the elements. If you like being out "there" or if you like a higher level of protection, that will lead you in one direction or another.

Then there is the riding position. The F3 has the down in it, feet forward riding position, akin to a cruiser. The RT has the more traditional riding position of being up higher/on top with the feet more underneath. People have preferences and opinions, but it's up to the rider to decide.

Maybe because you're lower and the center of gravity is lower on the F3, it feels livelier and seems to handle better than the RT. As I understand it, the newer models are fitting with the DPS II, which is a revised and improved power steering module. I have not ridden a new RT, so I can't say if that changes the handling characteristics on that model or not.

Again, whether it's because of overall improvements or model differences, I can't say; however, what I can say is the newer F3's I've ridden have better braking. Although, I don't like the brake pedal position on the F3. However, I think that can be modified to preference.

As mentioned, the storage on the F3 is very limited. Whoever designed the side cases should be fired. From the outside, they look great, but once inside they're really small and limited. The taillight assembly intrudes into the storage excessively and really limits what goes in there. The top box on the "L" is nice and roomy, but like the side cases, are somewhat light and plasticy, and the hinges on the top box are flimsy and care must be exercised in closing.

Also, touched upon is the frunk space. Because of the change in radiator design, the F3 has a greatly reduced frunk capacity.

If touring, the RT is clearly superior. If daytripping, or if the performance is your issue, the F3 is the better choice. IMHO
    I think you have touched on my exact issues with the main one being my use of the unit. I mainly wish to use it for traveling 1:15 minutes on some highway and some backroads to my weekend place which I visit about 3 times a month. Storage isn't critical as I have what I need at both homes and of course if the weather is bad, I can simply take a car. Although I might use it for longer treks if I find I like it enough to travel. My 2 wheeled days are over with a replacement hip and two knees (ughhh). If I knew I was going to take the cruises and the wife was coming along, the RT would be a no brainer for the self leveling suspension, adjustable windscreen and heated grips...not to mention her added comfort for the trip and the nicely molded rear cargo box. If I indeed just use it to rip up to the property and go solo, the F would be plenty.
    It's sounding in this case, I really need to just bite the bullet and buy the RT.
    Thanks for your input.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Test drive, as long as you can do it for.

Spyder Garage

The RT also has an adjustable wind shield. Many people change the windshield on either ryde.

RT also a very different seating position --- I think it's better for longer rydes.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Test drive, as long as you can do it for.
    And that really is the issue. I have about an hour on each. I?d like a full day on each but I?m thinking that?s just not possible so I?ll have to just wing some of it. I find both pleasurable to ride so I think I just need to bet that?ll I?ll do some trips:-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    The RT also has an adjustable wind shield. Many people change the windshield on either ryde.

RT also a very different seating position --- I think it's better for longer rydes.

Lew L
    But is it electric;-)

Spyder Garage

All good advice above.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yes ----- on the RT it is electric. I think the F3 is not adjustable. but many people get an aftermarket shield/
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ph2ocraft View Post
    So they both have air suspension but one is self leveling, is that correct?
    Neither of the the models you asked about are the self leveling. The F3L is and so is the upper models in the RT range. The F3S and "T" and the base RT do not self level and have a Schrader valve under the seat to manually adjust ride height.

Also, when tested the frunk does fit my helmet. I wear either a large or extra large full face helmet with a Sena attached. However, once in there, there is no room for anything much else.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Neither of the the models you asked about are the self leveling. The F3L is and so is the upper models in the RT range. The F3S and "T" and the base RT do not self level and have a Schrader valve under the seat to manually adjust ride height.

Also, when tested the frunk does fit my helmet. I wear either a large or extra large full face helmet with a Sena attached. However, once in there, there is no room for anything much else.
    A little correction here. The F3S does not have a Schrader valve under the seat, because it doesn't have an air bag for the suspension at all.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The comfort of the ride > storage options.

I love my F3. I ended up getting a couple of flexible sided bags which store my stuff for a week long ride in the side and frunk just find. Now, i'm spoiled with the rear truck, which stores my helmet, gloves etc.

I also replaced my windshield which made a huge difference with comfort in cold and rain.

ride ride ride!
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black