Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I think I got the top box lid error figured out.

Both mine and my wifes F3L seem to keep having the message that the rear lid is open. I studied it the other day and just figured the post on the lid is just a hair short. I put a piece of electrical tape on it and have not had it come up again. Did it to my wifes f3 and hers has also stopped. Just the thickness of the electrical tape did the trick. Knock on wood. Im trying to think of something that would do the same thing that would look a little better. Any suggestions?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Both mine and my wifes F3L seem to keep having the message that the rear lid is open. I studied it the other day and just figured the post on the lid is just a hair short. I put a piece of electrical tape on it and have not had it come up again. Did it to my wifes f3 and hers has also stopped. Just the thickness of the electrical tape did the trick. Knock on wood. Im trying to think of something that would do the same thing that would look a little better. Any suggestions?
    On the RT top boxes, there is a cable adjustment from underneath. I had to do that with mine. Maybe similar on the F3????

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    On the RT top boxes, there is a cable adjustment from underneath. I had to do that with mine. Maybe similar on the F3????
    I dont think so. The latching and locking mechanism is in the lid. There is a sensor with a contact on the box below. the lid has a small plastic post that pushes the contact together when it closes. Its just is a tad short.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I had issues with it since I drove it off the lot. The dealer just sprayed a lot of WD 40 on the contact but it did not seem to help. Ive been fiddling with the sensor contact which seems very fragile but the problem was not the sensor, its the post on the lid.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Shim

Can you glue a shim on?
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I just went out to look at my wifes F3L and I see what you are talking about. I wonder if the switch is set to low. I did not dismantal to see if it's adjustable. Eather way this should be covered by warranty and your dealer(or another) should cover this. Wither that means a new lid, or some other adjustment.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Trunk Lid -- Fix From Lamonster?

I could have sworn that Lamont posted about this when he added the rear trunk to Joan's F3 …. he may have even made a video. Going to see if I can find it and post a link here.

All the best …. Ann

UPDATE -- Here is the FB post from Lamont on how BRP recommends this be fixed:

There is a fix that BRP has put out for this issue. Like Joan said I fixed hers by adding a little piece of LED strip to the top of the little steel arm. Here's what they suggest.........Removetop case switch from the holder and stick the little foam between switch's 2 wires as per the next illustration. Install thetop case switch back to thetop case and install a K30x 12mm screw 250000614.

Last edited by Spyder_Cowgirl; 11-04-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I just went out to look at my wifes F3L and I see what you are talking about. I wonder if the switch is set to low. I did not dismantal to see if it's adjustable. Eather way this should be covered by warranty and your dealer(or another) should cover this. Wither that means a new lid, or some other adjustment.
    You don't have to dismantle anything. look up under the lid. there is a small plastic post that is what pushes the contact down when you close it. Just stick a small piece of electrical tape on it and wrap it around the best you can.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Gorilla tape will probably stick better.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Can you glue a shim on?
    you probably don't need a shim just a layer of glue may do it, ( let it completely dry of coarse) maybe a dab with a hot glue gun but you dont want it too thick to damage the sensor.
    Last edited by AY4B; 11-04-2018 at 06:04 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I would try the electrical tape first to test it and see if it fixes the problem then maybe replace it with something more permanent.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

How about a rubber or plastic cap similar to what you would find protecting the threads of a new bolt or something?
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default A soft earplug works great!

Had that same thing happen after we added the top case to my wife's 2016 F3T. We were attending an event and Lamont was there; I asked him to take a look at it (this was before the more detailed fix shown above). He put a soft earplug in the opening where the top latches in and it has worked perfectly - no tape, no sticky mess and have been using the same earplug for over a year!

BuddhaRyder
    IBA Premier #60956
    Silver MileEater

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    Had that same thing happen after we added the top case to my wife's 2016 F3T. We were attending an event and Lamont was there; I asked him to take a look at it (this was before the more detailed fix shown above). He put a soft earplug in the opening where the top latches in and it has worked perfectly - no tape, no sticky mess and have been using the same earplug for over a year!
    Great Idea! Thanks, I had one of those earplugs, hollowed out the middle, slid it on like a sock, and cut off the excess with a pair of dikes.
    98797BD0-8EC0-4AC4-A7BA-CA65C13E0EE9.jpg
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I cut a small piece off of a left over LED strip and stuck it on the metal contact point with the double sided tape and no problem ever since. I believe this was something Lamont had posted about as well.

The earplug idea is a really good idea also!
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    WOW! after reading all of the comments on the switch issue, yours made the most sense!! make the dealer and/or BRP fix the issue... and have a nice day.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    WOW! after reading all of the comments on the switch issue, yours made the most sense!! make the dealer and/or BRP fix the issue... and have a nice day.
    BIG F
    I did take it back right after I bought it, All they did was spray a lot of WD40 on the sensor to where it was running down the back. it did not work.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

This was one of 3 things I found when I bought my F3, the other 2 were left mirror shake and the nanny interrupting my ryde on curves.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

A simple fix might be to get a vacuum line cap that fits, simple and a little less cumbersome than electrical tape.
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../4180283?pos=1
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

The fix is actually quite easy. I also have. F3L. All you have to do is raise th little metal clip just a bit. Take a pencil or some other similar sized object and bend it up just a little bit. It doesn’t take much. I did this when I first got my F3L and haven’t had a problem since

29846F9F-C2B3-4503-B665-22CB84696C62.jpg

2017 F3 Limited
    Position 5 brake rod and foot pads
    Garmin Zumo 396 GPS
    Lamonster bottle holder
    ShowChrome spiral antenna
    Lamonster 19” Freedom Shield Windshield

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bballistick View Post
    The fix is actually quite easy. I also have. F3L. All you have to do is raise th little metal clip just a bit. Take a pencil or some other similar sized object and bend it up just a little bit. It doesn’t take much. I did this when I first got my F3L and haven’t had a problem since

29846F9F-C2B3-4503-B665-22CB84696C62.jpg
    I have tried that a couple of times. It seems to help for a while and the problem starts to return.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    A simple fix might be to get a vacuum line cap that fits, simple and a little less cumbersome than electrical tape.
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../4180283?pos=1
    that looks like a hard rubber plug. Wont work. The post on the lid is T shaped and short. The earplug is soft and easy to make into a cover for the post. I used a drill bit to make a hole in the flat side but not all the way threw. just enough to fit over the post then snip off the extra materiel. You dont need very much thickness on the end if a layer of electrical tape will do the trick.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I have tried that a couple of times. It seems to help for a while and the problem starts to return.
    The clip is actually stronger than it looks at first glance. I’d try it again. Take some needle nose pliers, grab it and torq it gently up. It can take quite a tug and shouldn’t snap off or anything like that. I’ve probably opened and closed the trunk 100+ times since with no problems. Give it another shot before trying to attach something that’ll probably come off and get stuck somewhere.

2017 F3 Limited
    Position 5 brake rod and foot pads
    Garmin Zumo 396 GPS
    Lamonster bottle holder
    ShowChrome spiral antenna
    Lamonster 19” Freedom Shield Windshield

Spyder Garage

Default MY FIX

I had the same problem. I took off the left side color panel and disconnected the switch. I don't have a light to tell me if my bags are not closed, I don't need one for my top case. Just Me.

Spyder Garage

Default Switch

I used a small piece of plastic (bottle cap) and slid it under the switch raising it up and have not had a problem going on over a year.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase