Spyder Garage

Default 2016 F3 Limited battery tender hook up HELP

Hey Gang.

Looking to put away the bike for the winter, planning to use a battery tender. Is there any way to hook up the tender without having to get to the battery terminals? Thought I read there were leads somewhere on the bike to eliminate the need to expose the battery terminals? Or am I dreaming? LOL.

Spyder Garage

Best to hook the pig tail to the Battery terminals and leave them permanently attached. Find a good place to route them. Next time just plug and unplug. Easy Peasy.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

As mentioned: get a "Ring Terminal Assembly". Hook up directly to battery and you're good to go. I prefer the ones with a inline fuse. When not using for charging/maintaining the battery, you can use to run accessories if needed.

----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    As mentioned: get a "Ring Terminal Assembly". Hook up directly to battery and you're good to go. I prefer the ones with a inline fuse. When not using for charging/maintaining the battery, you can use to run accessories if needed.
    I never thought about using that connector to temporary connect accessories! Hmmm...

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

That is the exact same set up I use. I have every vehicle I use set up the same way including my Spider,quads, snowmobiles, car, truck and R.V.
    batterys. I have no less than 11 maintainers going at one time and have my snowmobile etc,batterys last up to 13 years. I have 6 of those cheap
    Harbour Freight maintainers that have been plugged in 24/7 for 10 years and have never had one fail and have worked great.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Just went to wire a pigtail to the battery and realized one has already been wired ! Very cool, thank you all for your responses.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mjrcpd View Post
    Hey Gang.

Looking to put away the bike for the winter, planning to use a battery tender. Is there any way to hook up the tender without having to get to the battery terminals? Thought I read there were leads somewhere on the bike to eliminate the need to expose the battery terminals? Or am I dreaming? LOL.

I mount these to all my equipment with batteries, Makes it easier having a standard connection for everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Default Battery tender charger cable

Hey Gang.

No way, you have to get to battery terminals to install cable. Never tried it but they make adapter bat cable that plugs into a cigaret lighter... beware of complications that could result. Access to bat terminals only safe way to go especially for length of time spyder is winterized. This is a no brainer.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Just went to wire a pigtail to the battery and realized one has already been wired ! Very cool, thank you all for your responses.
    Yup, the f3 commes with one n place. I did put a larger fuse in it
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Forgot to mention that I put a direct to battery coax outlet where the heated grip passenger grip knob goes in the left saddlebag area.

Click pic for details.

2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser37 View Post
    Access to bat terminals only safe way to go especially for length of time spyder is winterized. This is a no brainer.
    Absolutely not true.

Some (many?) models have a power socket (cigarette lighter style) that is hot all the time......or can be made hot all the time by moving a fuse.

Also, some battery tenders come WITH a plug specifically intended to be used that way.

Unless you install something yourself and screw it up, I don't see what the potential "complications" are.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Yup, the f3 commes with one n place. I did put a larger fuse in it
    I was unaware if this. where is it. I installed a pigtail to my battery and I must have missed it. I do not recall seeing anything ran to my battery would it be wired elsewhere? just curious!
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage
    2016 F3T SM6 , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder601 View Post
    I was unaware if this. where is it. I installed a pigtail to my battery and I must have missed it. I do not recall seeing anything ran to my battery would it be wired elsewhere? just curious!
    Some dealers pre-install the battery tender leads (like Imotorsports) but they do not come pre-installed from the factory.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    Some dealers pre-install the battery tender leads (like Imotorsports) but they do not come pre-installed from the factory.
    Yes, mine was installed. I have experience with exactly ONE Spyder... my F3-T. It was installed in the Frunk. I use the circuit for many things.

>CLICK ME<
    Last edited by Rattlebars; 11-18-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

like Stebrock said, some dealers installed them as I just found out. I have a 2017 F3 Limited that we bought new and I just looked this post up and started to follow Spyderdips post, had my Battery Tender leads ready, took out the trunk liner and was about to unhook the battery cables when I realized that mine already had the Tender leads installed exactly like is in Spyderdips post. I didn't realize that my dealer, Jay Hatfield Powersports in Frontenac, Kansas had installed it. They never said anything about it. I could of had it plugged in all this time.

Spyderdips - great post on the install.

Spyder Garage