Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL versus 2014 RTL

Thinking of upgrading my Harley Triglide to Spyder RT. My wife rides a 2014 RT Limited and loves it. The Harley is kind of rough on my back due to suspension stiffness. I found that my 20 year old thinking and my 67 year old body can get me in trouble. Between the stiff ride on the Triglide and lifting something that the body couldn't handle anymore, I am now in the early recovery stages of T6, T8 and T9 vertebrae stress fractures and think it's time to change the ride. When I upgrade my ride we are thinking of upgrading her ride as well.

Any ideas from you people? I know I could find out the differences and likes/dislikes between the 2014 and 2018 models by doing more searching here, but at the present time an not able to sit here too long at a time.

We are stock on the current Spyder and Triglide using Sena headsets for comm. There maybe other enhancements to the 2018 capabilities but not sure what they are. The dash looks a lot better on the 2018, hopefully easier to see in different light conditions, etc. Any accessories we should consider like seat and handle bar upgrades.....

Thanks for any help and advice while I recuperate. I am not ready to give up the riding and know it will be better soon.

Those of you who have gone through the back issues have any advice?
    2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brerrabbit View Post
    Thinking of upgrading my Harley Triglide to Spyder RT. My wife rides a 2014 RT Limited and loves it. The Harley is kind of rough on my back due to suspension stiffness. I found that my 20 year old thinking and my 67 year old body can get me in trouble. Between the stiff ride on the Triglide and lifting something that the body couldn't handle anymore, I am now in the early recovery stages of T6, T8 and T9 vertebrae stress fractures and think it's time to change the ride. When I upgrade my ride we are thinking of upgrading her ride as well.

Any ideas from you people? I know I could find out the differences and likes/dislikes between the 2014 and 2018 models by doing more searching here, but at the present time an not able to sit here too long at a time.

We are stock on the current Spyder and Triglide using Sena headsets for comm. There maybe other enhancements to the 2018 capabilities but not sure what they are. The dash looks a lot better on the 2018, hopefully easier to see in different light conditions, etc. Any accessories we should consider like seat and handle bar upgrades.....

Thanks for any help and advice while I recuperate. I am not ready to give up the riding and know it will be better soon.

I can't speak to serious back issues; but I can speak about the RT Limited. Since 2014 the drive train has been the 1330 triple with a 6 speed semi-automatic tranny. From 2014-2017 the RT Limited has been the same bike with a few minor tweeks added each year along with a color pallet change.
    The major change for 2018 was the elimination of the stand alone Garmin GPS unit with introduction of the digital dash and the addition of a joy stick to control it. It has not a smooth transition. Some early adopters say that it's not 100% yet. You can read all about it on Spyderlovers.com. I'm still not sure that the "system" is Android compatible.
    As long as you into looking @a "leftover" 2018 with "eyes wide open" you can probably pickup some pretty good deals with the rebates( I saw $6,000.00 on RTLs) and incentives that are now on some models.
    Hope this covers the Spyder part of your questions
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dash and stereo are really the only differnce between the 14 and 18.

I dont miss my TRI since switching to the Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder is much easier on the body than a heavy 2-wheeler, for sure.

You don't say how big you are. Ergonomics are important so Tri-axis handlebars and a brp or custom comfort seat may be worthwhile.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks trikermutha

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Dash and stereo are really the only differnce between the 14 and 18.

I dont miss my TRI since switching to the Spyder.
    i read a lot of your posts here and on HDForum. When I decided to make this post, as I have been inactive here for a while, I was hoping to hear from you and if you still liked the transition. I love the TRI but have had a few back issues because of the ride. Didn't bother me too much then. Now I am really wondering if I should get this change done. My wife has no issues with the ride on the Spyder versus having to stop riding the back of the TRI.
    Last edited by brerrabbit; 10-31-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i read a lot of your posts here and on HDForum. When I decided to make this post, as I have been inactive here for a while, I was hoping to hear from you and if you still liked the transition. I love the TRI but have had a few back issues because of the ride. Didn't bother me too much then. Now I am really wondering if I should get this change done. My wife has no issues with the ride on the Spyder versus having to stop riding the back of the TRI.
    A few things that really made the Spyder pop was the new tires and the Baja Ron bar. Only thing I wish I could get is longer Tri Axis bars, like to get more pull back.

Other than that its like a Cadillac compared to the TRI..

Have you driven the wife's Spyder much at all?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The Spyder is much easier on the body than a heavy 2-wheeler, for sure.

You don't say how big you are. Ergonomics are important so Tri-axis handlebars and a brp or custom comfort seat may be worthwhile.
    Agree with this, I think whatever seat you end up with will be critical for your back.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    I can't speak to serious back issues; but I can speak about the RT Limited. Since 2014 the drive train has been the 1330 triple with a 6 speed semi-automatic tranny. From 2014-2017 the RT Limited has been the same bike with a few minor tweeks added each year along with a color pallet change.
    The major change for 2018 was the elimination of the stand alone Garmin GPS unit with introduction of the digital dash and the addition of a joy stick to control it. It has not a smooth transition. Some early adopters say that it's not 100% yet. You can read all about it on Spyderlovers.com. I'm still not sure that the "system" is Android compatible.
    As long as you into looking @a "leftover" 2018 with "eyes wide open" you can probably pickup some pretty good deals with the rebates( I saw $6,000.00 on RTLs) and incentives that are now on some models.
    Hope this covers the Spyder part of your questions
    Mike
    Is the gps function handled via your smartphone and brpconnect or is the gps built in?

Also I have a tremor that varies in intensity a bit but doesn’t prevent me from doing anything but can be annoying. Thumb joysticks can sometimes give me trouble.

Spyder Garage

Default Ride the wife's Spyder?

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    A few things that really made the Spyder pop was the new tires and the Baja Ron bar. Only thing I wish I could get is longer Tri Axis bars, like to get more pull back.

Other than that its like a Cadillac compared to the TRI..

Have you driven the wife's Spyder much at all?
    I do test rides following maintence. If i tell her i need to ride it for a longer test drive she asked what to look for and to follow her on the Harley. I think that will give you the picture. I was laid up a couple days ago due to muscle spasms and couldn't get around much. She went riding with out me. That hurt too. She was 70 years old when she got her license to ride but when she puts on the helmet and fluorescent coat she transforms into 40 year old fun gal. My back will be healed up sooner or later and I'm going for a softer ride. Sounds like the changes to newer models weren't much so maybe will look for a '14 thru '18 model.

BTW, she has let me ride the back seat a little.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do test rides following maintence. If i tell her i need to ride it for a longer test drive she asked what to look for and to follow her on the Harley. I think that will give you the picture. I was laid up a couple days ago due to muscle spasms and couldn't get around much. She went riding with out me. That hurt too. She was 70 years old when she got her license to ride but when she puts on the helmet and fluorescent coat she transforms into 40 year old fun gal. My back will be healed up sooner or later and I'm going for a softer ride. Sounds like the changes to newer models weren't much so maybe will look for a '14 thru '18 model.

BTW, she has let me ride the back seat a little.
    Try to ride it more as you may need to add a few things for your comfort levels. Cant really comment on the 18 models except some complain about the infotainment on them is not the best.

Following her on the Harley is not the same.

Or try and get a loaner to ride for a few days, that may help with the misses not letting you ride her Spyder. So you can get a better feel of how it works for you.

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTS2

3 months ago I traded my super great 2014 Lamonster Edition RTL to one of my Shrine brothers for his 2011 Harley Shrine Edition trike. He had always wanted my Spyder. Value was about the same and I planned on riding the Harley till the 2019s were available. Since then I proved to myself that I had traded my corvette with handlebars for a 3 wheeled peterbuilt logtruck🤢. Found a great deal on a 2018 RTL and don’t have to wait for the 2019
    VERY HAPPY!
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Default Might want to take a look at the F3

I have a bad back and hips.
    My wife and I have an RT and an F3, we swap every hundred miles or so. Different ride, different seating positions. Just a thought.

Spyder Garage

Default Looking at F3 as well

Quote Originally Posted by mcan1x View Post
    I have a bad back and hips.
    My wife and I have an RT and an F3, we swap every hundred miles or so. Different ride, different seating positions. Just a thought.
    When i set on the RT i feel like my feet are too far back so i am looking at the F3 as well. The '18 Spyder comfort seat and foot boards sound like they may be a better fit. I may be able to test drive one when the spasms stop and i try riding my wifes '14 for a little while. I'm 230# 5' 10" and feeling a lot older this week than last but that wil pass. We ride 3 to 4 times a month and am not ready to give that up. The Colorado mountains are a great place to ride. I don't want to sound like I'm whining but I have time to do some research while recouping so really appreciate you people sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When i set on the RT i feel like my feet are too far back so i am looking at the F3 as well. The '18 Spyder comfort seat and foot boards sound like they may be a better fit. I may be able to test drive one when the spasms stop and i try riding my wifes '14 for a little while. I'm 230# 5' 10" and feeling a lot older this week than last but that wil pass. We ride 3 to 4 times a month and am not ready to give that up. The Colorado mountains are a great place to ride. I don't want to sound like I'm whining but I have time to do some research while recouping so really appreciate you people sharing your thoughts and experiences.
    Be aware that the lid of the top box of the F3 Limited is poorly designed(flimsy) which causes problems with proper closure. The solution is to purchase and install a luggage rack. This stiffens the lid and makes it closure much easier.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Basically grew up in Colo. and the mountains are awesome, I hope to ride them someday.

im not positive but you may be able to add foot pegs to the RT too to give you another option.

Spyder Garage

I ride a 2014 rt ltd with the bac k rest and cruising foot rests up forward to stretch the legs a bit.i also use a air hawk seat pad to add extra shock absorbtion.

Spyder Garage

Default Back problems & RTL

I have major problems w my lower back (L4/L5-L5/S1), right knee and left foot problems. and purchased an ‘18 RTL. The lumbar support is awesome, I never have back pain while riding or after a long ride. No problems at all. Can’t say the same about my boat. Even if the water is like glass, I usually have pain for 3-5 days. I’ve owned my Spyder since July and have never experienced back pain, knee tightens up every once in a while but moving it helps. I’ve added BajaRon Swaybar & Shock Adjusters, they raise the front end a bit, feels better for me. Something to consider.
    ‘Best of luck.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Have only 2000mi on my first spyder,a 18RTL,coming off HD 2 wheels.I can tell you that the ride on the RT is coupe de ville!You can adjust the preload on rear easily with air to get it where you like.You will not even notice bumps that give 2 wheelers a hard jar!Witch ever model fits you best is your choice but know that there are many ways to change fit!When my knees get sore,if I'm riding alone,I really like putting my heels on the passenger boards(or pegs)!You may not like everything about Spyder but the ride will not be on that list!

Spyder Garage

I have the 2018 Rtl and really like it but I have no back issues.I know on the 2018 and maybe the 2017 the steering is much easier.Test rides are the best way to go.Good luck
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    I have major problems w my lower back (L4/L5-L5/S1), right knee and left foot problems. and purchased an ‘18 RTL. The lumbar support is awesome, I never have back pain while riding or after a long ride. No problems at all. Can’t say the same about my boat. Even if the water is like glass, I usually have pain for 3-5 days. I’ve owned my Spyder since July and have never experienced back pain, knee tightens up every once in a while but moving it helps. I’ve added BajaRon Swaybar & Shock Adjusters, they raise the front end a bit, feels better for me. Something to consider.
    ‘Best of luck.

+1 I also have had (still have) issues with my back (L5-S1) and I ryde a 16 RTL. Lumbar support is fantastic. Ordered a Utopia backrest as well but hasn't come in yet, should be arriving today.
    2016 RTL "Boris"

Foam Grips
    Utopia Backrest
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Bajaron sway bar
    LED Bumpskid w/remote
    Belt guard
    BRT rear lighting w/strobe
    High mount BRT w/strobe
    Dual a-arm LEDs w/turn signals
    Multicolor underground Halo lighting
    LED headlights and foglights
    FOBO TPMS
    Techgripper phone holder
    Lidlox
    Dual USB with voltmeter
    Dakota Digital Compass/Clock/Altimeter/Temperature Gauge
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55R15 - Fronts
    General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 - Rear

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=brerrabbit;1400497]Thinking of upgrading my Harley Triglide to Spyder RT. My wife rides a 2014 RT Limited and loves it. The Harley is kind of rough on my back due to suspension stiffness. I found that my 20 year old thinking and my 67 year old body can get me in trouble. Between the stiff ride on the Triglide and lifting something that the body couldn't handle anymore, I am now in the early recovery stages of T6, T8 and T9 vertebrae stress fractures and think it's time to change the ride. When I upgrade my ride we are thinking of upgrading her ride as well.

No back issues here. But I traded my 2014 RTL in for a 2018 RTL. everything is the same EXCEPT the dash/instrument panel which is pretty complicated for this old "non-nerd"?? don't like to have to use my phone on navigation (and haven't done it yet) but it is what it is.. Hopefully BRP will smooth out the bumps in the panel system soon as I see a lot of comments on this site about the issues.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Is the gps function handled via your smartphone and brpconnect or is the gps built in?

Also I have a tremor that varies in intensity a bit but doesn’t prevent me from doing anything but can be annoying. Thumb joysticks can sometimes give me trouble.

The GPS is not built in.

You need a smartphone and BRPConnect. The GPS function is handled by either Google Maps or Genius Maps.

With Google Maps, you need data access at all time.

Genius Maps downloads selected maps to your device so that you do not need data access while on the road. Note that there is a one time fee to use Genius Maps thru BRPConnect.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice on the Spyders and back issues. I have continued to ride the TriGlide but it is not comfortable, may need a chiropractor, due to seating angle(?) and stiff ride.

We took delivery today, delivered to us 200 miles from closest dealer, on a couple 2018 RTLs. My wife has ridden a 2014 RTL for the last 4 years and she loves the new more comfortable ride of the seat and the easier steering. The Spyder can be stopped and power steering will allow full swing of handlebars with one hand. The 2014 was a bear to turn when stopped, like doing a U-turn and having to stop and backup. She is really excited. Here are a couple of pictures while still on the dealer floor but too cloudy today to get good pictures. The experience with the dealership, Ridgeline Motorsports in Vernal UT, was great. They were very helpful and patient. They even volunteered to deliver them for nothing. It has been snowy and cold here so I took them up on it. We traded in the 2014 RTL. Now to sell the 2014 TriGlide.

This is Joan's new ride:
    Vernal 1.jpg

This is my new ride:
    Vernal 1.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats!!! Rides looks great!

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the new bike, looks nice. I hope your back is getting better!
    2012 RTL , Brown