Spyder Garage

Default Total Loss of Electrical, Happy Ending!

The wife and I rode a little over 100 miles Sunday, no issues. Today, I had to run some errands. About 40 miles into it I stopped at the local hardware store. Got on, turned the key on and she woke up like normal. Hit the start button and all electrical died. Two friends of mine were parked next to me and helped. Started checking fuses all were good. Turned the key on and one friend noticed the fender markers were flashing. Turned the brights off and with the key on everything started blinking, and the speed and RPM needles started going from 0 to full scale. Battery connections were tight. Borrowed a volt meter and checked the battery. With switch off, there was about 12 volts, turned the switch on and it dropped significantly. There was an Auto Zone about 300 yards away. Took the battery out and got a new one from Auto Zone. They tested it and it only had 9.5 volts. Installed the battery and everything woke up and started!

I was surprised that it died without any hint of a problem. When I rode off, it ran smoother. There seemed to be a slight miss before, I thought maybe a fuel issue, that was now gone.

Blessed for several reasons: 1. Died at a local hardware store. 2. Died right next to two friends who gave me a hand, and drove me over to Auto Zone. 3. Auto Zone was so close and gave me a 10% discount. Although the battery cost me $100, everything worked out wonderfully.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Glad you got the issue taken care of. Sometimes batteries just "die" without any kind of warning.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Also, when I got power back on I got a check engine warning. When I put it in reverse and started moving it cleared on its own.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Spyder Garage

Default Happens.....

Sure was a fortunate series of event and with a happy ending..mine did a similar thing and just died fortunately I was still in our garage but had to order the battery and wait a couple of days....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    Glad you got the issue taken care of. Sometimes batteries just "die" without any kind of warning.
    Right on about the battery dying when it feels like it. Most experience that about a hundred miles from nowhere, in a blinding snowstorm, and totally alone without a flashlight.

I note that your machine is a 2013. If that was the original battery--you did real good. I change mine out the fourth year--whether they need it or not. So far...so good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery

I'm glad it all worked out well. Enjoy your Time on the Spyder.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We lost our 2013RTL battery just this las t August. I was taking the motorcycle in for service and went to start it up in the garage. It tried to start and gave up. Fortunately after letting it sit for another moment it reluctantly started and when I got to the dealer I said, and we need a new battery!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Right on about the battery dying when it feels like it. Most experience that about a hundred miles from nowhere, in a blinding snowstorm, and totally alone without a flashlight.

I note that your machine is a 2013. If that was the original battery--you did real good. I change mine out the fourth year--whether they need it or not. So far...so good.
    We have only had it for one year, so I'm not sure if it is the original battery or not. But it was well maintained by the previous owner, so who knows.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    We lost our 2013RTL battery just this las t August. I was taking the motorcycle in for service and went to start it up in the garage. It tried to start and gave up. Fortunately after letting it sit for another moment it reluctantly started and when I got to the dealer I said, and we need a new battery!
    Another case of excellent timing!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    True that. Have not had a battery in the last 10 years that gave me any warning. They just keel over, and nada.

Glad the OP had a good outcome.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    With switch off, there was about 12 volts, turned the switch on and it dropped significantly. There was an Auto Zone about 300 yards away. Took the battery out and got a new one from Auto Zone. They tested it and it only had 9.5 volts. Installed the battery and everything woke up and started!
    Yep. If the voltage drops below 10.5 when you hit the starter button everything goes blank and black.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)