Spyder Garage

Default Does Phone Charge via BRP Connect USB Plug/Cable?

This is probably one of those "dumb" questions, but I'll ask it anyway. On my 2018 RT Ltd, when I have my Android phone plugged into the BRP Connect USB cable and am using the Genius Map app, does the Spyder charge the phone's battery while I am riding? I would presume the answer is probably "yes", but I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks.

2018 RT Ltd.
    2018 RT Ltd , Oxford Blue/Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, the answer is yes. BUT, if the phone battery is more than half gone the phone won’t get fully charged but will stay at current level or sometime drain as the USB outlet doesn’t put out enough to power and charge the battery. I always carry a portable charger to boost the phone’s battery just in case.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Short answer ......................YES

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

What they said.
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    What they said.
    Thanks Flamewinger, Cruzr Joe and bluewoo! I appreciate your quick responses. Good to know that my phone battery shouldn't die while we're out for a ride with the Genius Map app running.

2018 RT Ltd.
    2018 RT Ltd , Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 RT L. Can I use the USB connection in the glove box to charge my phone without connecting the phone to the Spyder?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; Today at 12:36 AM. Reason: ReMoved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

YES but it only supplies power with the ignition on

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Never mind the verbiage on my sig line (thereabouts) citing the 2020 Ryker, i traded the Ryker in this past August for this gunship (2021 RT Limited). Just haven’t gotten around to updating my profile

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I use that USB dongle to power my 5v XM radio. I pulled the dongle out the bottom and connected the radio under the tupperware. Did the same with the Aux in plug.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

You need to make sure you do not have the BRP Go app on your phone or it will launch and lock you out of the phone. If you want brp go on your phone and don't want to launch the go app, you can get a USB data blocker on Amazon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shardt View Post
    You need to make sure you do not have the BRP Go app on your phone or it will launch and lock you out of the phone. If you want brp go on your phone and don't want to launch the go app, you can get a USB data blocker on Amazon
    This is what I did, it’s simple, works well and is inexpensive.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yikes, I wouldn't have BRP Go anywhere near my iPhone. I am quite happy riding my 20 RTL without the distraction.

Spyder Garage

I know this has been asked before and I didn't want to resurrect an old thread.

I have a '21 S2S and when I have my phone (S22 Ultra) connected to the USB port running BRP Go with Sygic maps and listening to Bluetooth music, my phone drains. It says it's charging, just not more than I'm using. Now if I run without BRP Go but still Bluetooth music and Sygic maps, it will charge, just slowly (5%/hr). The USB in the trunk charges much faster. I know people have been able to get their phones to charge using the Go app, so I'm curious to know if there is some form of setting that I am missing? I have tried different cables (all certified); restarting the phone; and making sure everything is closed before starting; all with the same result.

I know someone on here has the same phone and can do this without issue, so I assume there is something I am missing.

Any help would be great.

Thomas
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; Today at 12:44 AM. Reason: ReMoved Post title after merge - they mess with Searching - and we'd MUCH PREFER you used the (recently) older threads! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tomknotts View Post
    I know this has been asked before and I didn't want to resurrect an old thread.
    We (the Mod/Admin Team) would MUCH prefer that you DO resurrect any (fairly recent ) older threads rather than starting up yet another thread asking exactly what's been asked & discussed, likely even resolved previously, possibly many times!!

Sure, we know that we're on a hiding to nothing with the insane proliferation of oil and tire threads (and a growing number of others ), but please, don't start doing the same other subjects!! It makes it much harder for anyone searching to find the same answer; it often hides the resolution/answer off in some obscure thread somewhere; it means that NO-ONE is ever likely to get the ENTIRE story; it makes searching in the future for anything even vaguely related a whole lot harder; it ultimately costs more for the upkeep of the platform, let alone to provide a system that's capable of holding and retrieving all the scattered data; and it basically really annoys a whole lot of people from the owner/operator on down!!

So PLEASE, always do a search first, and if you are asking a question that has either already been asked & discussed, possibly even answered in another thread; &/or you are expanding or adding to the knowledge base contained in an existing thread, especially if it's a thread that's not more than a max of saaay 5 or 6 years old, then seriously consider using the existing thread!! You are allowed to ask questions that vary the topic a little, just so long as they are related; and you're even allowed to add info that may not have been available when the earlier discussion was occurring! Sure, if the older thread is more than a few years old and your question/info is not quite directly related, then a new thread might be in order; but in that case, if you're expanding upon what the other thread discusses, but taking it off topic at a tangent, then you should probably refer to the earlier thread in your new thread anyway!! But adding even more new threads that ask something that's been raised, discussed, and probably even answered in an earlier thread is [I]NOT generally the preferred way to go!!

And while this last little bit doesn't necessarily apply directly here, all of the above DOES APPLY, ESPECIALLY if your proposed new thread is about Oil or tires!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; Today at 01:09 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I appologize and will remember this for the future.