Spyder Garage

Default Can-Am Ryker In Depth Review

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agreed, excellent review, also the follow on ride review by him.

Looks like Can Am has a real winner on their hands.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Best review yet!! My deposit goes on Wednesday-Trade OR finance and have it with my F3!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This one of the better videos out there. Very sharp picture, speaks well and clear, shows off the features, acts like he knows what he's talking about. Watching the ride review, judging from all the traffic that's passing him I'm guessing this guys name is Sally.....Ha Ha. Ahh, just kidding. He did a nice job. It would have been nice to see some footage like you were riding the bike (mounting the camera on his helmet).

Spyder Garage

Default Very Nice....

Quite detailed and demonstrated well... thanks for the link..l
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Honda House has done two reviews now that I know of. Ryker gets good reviews in both of them.

It does sound like BRP has a winner. To bad that some dealers are throwing in the towel. They just may be a bit premature.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Honda House has done two reviews now that I know of. Ryker gets good reviews in both of them.

It does sound like BRP has a winner. To bad that some dealers are throwing in the towel. They just may be a bit premature.
    Dewane,

The problem for many dealers is that BRP is telling them how many Rykers + parts and acc they have to order in order to stay a Can Am roadster dealer. The dealer has no say in it. The small dealer I spoke with had to order over $300,000 worth. If these do not sell as well as BRP thinks the dealers are on the hook.
    BRP told this dealer that they expect to loose 20% of their current dealers because of this and that they are fine with that.

I hope it all works out!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Dewane,

The problem for many dealers is that BRP is telling them how many Rykers + parts and acc they have to order in order to stay a Can Am roadster dealer. The dealer has no say in it. The small dealer I spoke with had to order over $300,000 worth. If these do not sell as well as BRP thinks the dealers are on the hook.
    BRP told this dealer that they expect to loose 20% of their current dealers because of this and that they are fine with that.

I hope it all works out!
    I'm not so sure? My dealer ordered 25 various Rykers and is Fairly large on SeaDoo and Ski-Doo. But another dealer near the shore said he only ordered 5 units and sells Polaris and a couple different types of motorcycles. Maybe he is Not a full fledged Can Am dealer BUT they are sending him 5?

Spyder Garage

https://youtu.be/jvi8y7IF4DI

Here is the "Ride" video and Eric answered my question in the comments that he would sell whatever he gets in DEC and you can pre-order if your closer than I am-

Spyder Garage

Dewane,

I hope it all works out!
    The number my dealer told me was he had to order 12 plus all the stuff that goes with it. I understand...but...if I don't move elsewhere...I am stuck with two machines that I cannot service.

I am guessing I will be lucky to get $5K a piece for them. I will cover them and they will become "barn finds" before that happens.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I'm not so sure? My dealer ordered 25 various Rykers and is Fairly large on SeaDoo and Ski-Doo. But another dealer near the shore said he only ordered 5 units and sells Polaris and a couple different types of motorcycles. Maybe he is Not a full fledged Can Am dealer BUT they are sending him 5?
    I am surprised to hear that a dealer is able to only order 5!

The info I received was from a salesman who does their ordering, and confirmed by the owner. I have known both for years and trust what they tell me. I am sure units are based on Spyder sales, and even though this is a small dealership they do service a large area.

Time will tell.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The number my dealer told me was he had to order 12 plus all the stuff that goes with it. I understand...but...if I don't move elsewhere...I am stuck with two machines that I cannot service.

I am guessing I will be lucky to get $5K a piece for them. I will cover them and they will become "barn finds" before that happens.
    I feel for you on this, but I also understand why any dealer being told that they had to spend X amount on a product that they are not sure of the sales on deciding it's better to cut ties instead of risking it.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I feel for you on this, but I also understand why any dealer being told that they had to spend X amount on a product that they are not sure of the sales on deciding it's better to cut ties instead of risking it.
    Pretty sure that this was a case of the straw that broke the camels back. It was apparent to me the last couple years that Spyder sales were on the decline here. From three dealers selling the product down to two, and then one selling and one servicing, to no selling of the product by anyone. They claim they will service for the next year--but I will find that out in the spring.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Power sports dealers really get the shaft from the manufactures. In BRP's case each product line the dealership carries (Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo, Can-Am, Spyder, etc.) has to be bonded for $1 million. Dealers have to buy display units (not the actual product...atv's, etc but the signage, racks etc that they sell accessories and gear on) from BRP. The entire parts ordering and service manual network is a fee to BRP for each product line. When BRP ships the dealers 5 units they are financed on a floor plan. This means BRP gets paid for those units on delivery weather they are sold or not. The dealer has 30 days to sell a unit interest free, after that they are paying interest to the floor plan company (most likely BRP capitol) until the unit sells. These are all costs just to sell BRP products. If they want to sell another product line say Polaris, they have to fulfill the same (or similar) requirements to them. This doesn't include building costs, employees, phones, heat, lights, taxes, tools, etc, etc, etc.

I don't know how these people stay in business really. The people I have personally known that owned dealerships were stressed to the max mentally most of the time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Power sports dealers really get the shaft from the manufactures. In BRP's case each product line the dealership carries (Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo, Can-Am, Spyder, etc.) has to be bonded for $1 million. Dealers have to buy display units (not the actual product...atv's, etc but the signage, racks etc that they sell accessories and gear on) from BRP. The entire parts ordering and service manual network is a fee to BRP for each product line. When BRP ships the dealers 5 units they are financed on a floor plan. This means BRP gets paid for those units on delivery weather they are sold or not. The dealer has 30 days to sell a unit interest free, after that they are paying interest to the floor plan company (most likely BRP capitol) until the unit sells. These are all costs just to sell BRP products. If they want to sell another product line say Polaris, they have to fulfill the same (or similar) requirements to them. This doesn't include building costs, employees, phones, heat, lights, taxes, tools, etc, etc, etc.

I don't know how these people stay in business really. The people I have personally known that owned dealerships were stressed to the max mentally most of the time.
    this same thing is going on in other industry s as well I’m in the appliance business and I can’t have all the lines from manufacturers I deal with it’s getting to be a real big guys game more and more and the retail public will be worse off because of it
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Don’t think you can order an odd number of units they come two in a crate a 600 and a 900 or 900 and a rally that is what I have been told

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nice review, but still think I would be shopping for a used F3 or RSS to get my sporting fix. I noticed that the guy said he is 6'-4" and spoke about how adjustable it is. Well my F3T is set on setting number 4, and I have more room than I did when I sat on the Ryker in it's furthest position. I also notice how They mention that it has storage (1 1/2 liter). That is about as much space as I have under the seat on my M109. I thought the F3 series was lacking storage after having a RT and a RSS. I will be test riding one, and if they tend to be up to 20-25% off at the end of the season, like the other, I might even get one. But right now, it is a no for me. But I am sure it will have a lot of fans. That is what is fun about motorcycles, there is one out there for everyone.
    I also know that they have the auto transmission, but it baffles me as to why there is no neutral or park for this vehicle. I never owned a vehicle that didn't have a way to disengage the drivetrain. Can someone explain why that is the case here?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Nice review, but still think I would be shopping for a used F3 or RSS to get my sporting fix. I noticed that the guy said he is 6'-4" and spoke about how adjustable it is. Well my F3T is set on setting number 4, and I have more room than I did when I sat on the Ryker in it's furthest position. I also notice how They mention that it has storage (1 1/2 liter). That is about as much space as I have under the seat on my M109. I thought the F3 series was lacking storage after having a RT and a RSS. I will be test riding one, and if they tend to be up to 20-25% off at the end of the season, like the other, I might even get one. But right now, it is a no for me. But I am sure it will have a lot of fans. That is what is fun about motorcycles, there is one out there for everyone.
    I also know that they have the auto transmission, but it baffles me as to why there is no neutral or park for this vehicle. I never owned a vehicle that didn't have a way to disengage the drivetrain. Can someone explain why that is the case here?
    It has a clutch system like a snowmobile. I rode one last week for about 45 minutes. It runs very well. Just twist the throttle and go. I found that it was a great machine for what it was designed for. It is not a touring machine. It is a bare bones, entry level machine which would be very fun for city use and short runs. I will stay with my Stand F3S but I found the Ryker to be a fun ride.