Thread: DPS

Spyder Garage

Default DPS

Has anyone had to replace a power swteering motor on a RTL 2014

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeeps240 View Post
    Has anyone had to replace a power swteering motor on a RTL 2014
    All I can tell you is the dealer replaced the DPS on the 2013 RT I had. The service writer said they needed to have a lady tech finagle the unit out from underneath. The space was so tight none of the guys' hands would fit to get it out!

The 2013s had a DPS issue, but not much of any that I know of with the 2014s and later.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Have a friend with a 2018 RT that needed to have the DPS replaced and the tech mentioned he had another one coming in with the same problem. I do know some earlier models had problems and they had to replace the unit...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Have a friend with a 2018 RT that needed to have the DPS replaced and the tech mentioned he had another one coming in with the same problem. I do know some earlier models had problems and they had to replace the unit...
    Have you looked at the service manual info on the DPS? They're an engineering marvel IMO. The heart of the unit is a section of steel shaft with a particular magnetic property. As you turn the handlebar the shaft twists ever so slightly according to the torque. A sensor detects the magnetic deviation and controls the amount of current going into the DPS motor. Almost unbelievable!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My early production 2014 RT had to have a replacement DPS module installed. As I remember it, it started whining and making a lot of noise. There was a TSB on the module for that very problem. It was replaced under warranty without issue and has been flawless ever since.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 problem DPS?

[Q
    What was the issue? My used 2013 seems like it mite not be working.

The 2013s had a DPS issue, but not much of any that I know of with the 2014s and later.[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Default Yep. Will get the bike back tomorrow.

Yes, Needed a new DPS and torque sensor. It is at the shop now (where they have had it for just under a month to do the job!!!!) 2011 RT-S SM5. Got the warning light to check DPS after parking in the garage after a 200 mile local trip. No warning in advance, and no change in bike behavior prior to the failure. Could not clear the codes, and dealer tech said no option but to replace the unit. THE DPS UNIT IS $1200 PLUS INSTALLATION!!!!!

They called today to say it is done. I had them replace the plugs and wires as well as the air filter since the bike was apart. The tech said they felt bad that it took so long, so they reduced the labor price from 10 hours to 7. Total cost to pick it up tomorrow - $2300.

Oh well....
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Bike-O-Din - Glad my 2018 was under warranty! Mine got so bad it would turn off while turning at 25/30 MPH-THATS SCARY!!!!

Hope your problem is corrected.

Patrick
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Are you getting any codes? Does it feel like the steering is actually fighting against you as you turn? If there are no codes and it fights you as you turn, clean the battery terminals. The DPS uses a lot of power. That's what fixed mine.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!