Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Update

Thank you all for your replies. I reached out to the radio manufacturer, Radio Sound, and have heard back from a customer service rep. I shared with them the video I took of the iPhone not working and they have escalated to an engineer. Will see if that goes anywhere. I will report back what they say (if anything).

I also sent a message to BRP and they referred me back to a dealer. We are soon due for the 19,000 mile service so will have them address this issue.

Finally, I loaded a bunch of music on a thumb drive and this works as expected. So its definitely an issue with the phone. I am suspecting it might be the low power issue mentioned by JCTHORNE.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    2017 has usb port, not din connector.

Just put your music on a simple thumb drive and plug it in to the USB port. It will index and play the music with control from the handlebar and screen. Much easier than using your iphone and it can stay in the bike. Thumb drives are CHEAP.

The problem with your phone is likely due to the 500ma power limit on the BRP provided USB port. The phone is going in and out of charge mode, resetting the data bus. Lots of folks have complained about this since 2016 and never a fix.
    OK, Here is the story.
    I have a 2017 RT-S and a 2018 RT limited.
    The 2017 has a USB port in the trunk.
    The 2018 has a USB port in the frunk.
    My girlfriends android phone does not like to charge in the 2017.
    I have not tried it on the 2018.
    I had to route the factory USB cable from the frunk to the handle bars to get my Iphone to work.
    With a extension lighting cable from the frunk to the handle bars, would drop connection and not charge very good at all.
    So I can agree that it't the low charging power on the BRP buss.
    I plan to put a power hub in the frunk and run a powered USB cable to the handle bars so I can charge my girlfriends android phone.

Spyder Garage

WOW... that sucks the 2017 USB cannot provided the power needed for larger phones.
    My 2011 has no problem but as pointed out it's not a USB connection but a DIN connection.

One question on your apple cable. Is that a real apple cable or a 3rd party? I ask because some 3rd party cheapo cables do not do data only charge.

But this CAN be fixed with a custom made apple cable. You split out the data lines and the power lines. Run the data lines to the USB port. Get a car USB charge cig adapter and run the power lines to that.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    WOW... that sucks the 2017 USB cannot provided the power needed for larger phones.
    My 2011 has no problem but as pointed out it's not a USB connection but a DIN connection.

One question on your apple cable. Is that a real apple cable or a 3rd party? I ask because some 3rd party cheapo cables do not do data only charge.

But this CAN be fixed with a custom made apple cable. You split out the data lines and the power lines. Run the data lines to the USB port. Get a car USB charge cig adapter and run the power lines to that.

Bob
    Thank you for your post.
    I was using Apple cables, not the off brand cables.
    It looks like the apple cables have a chip in them and your iphone can sense the difference and tells you.
    Thank you for talking about the custom cable too, I was thinking of doing that on my 2017 for my girlfriend.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    We too are using a real Apple cable.

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE

I have had some email correspondence with a rep at Radio Sound. She asked me a bunch of questions, some of which I could not answer without testing the iPhone connected to the Spyder. And wouldn't you know it, during my testing the iPhone operated as expected. That is one of the frustrating things is that sometimes it works and others it does not.

Since answering all her questions about a week ago I have not heard back from her. If I do and get any useful information I will be sure to share it here.

Spyder Garage

I have a 17 F3L, and use a good quality (able to handle USB 3.0) USB/Apple cable for my iPhone and Touch. Both work fine. I will say that I used an Apple cable (that I discovered was in poor condition) a few times. Tossed out that cable. Think after time the apple cables wear out at the connection point at the adapter/wire area.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I also have a 17 F3L and my iPhone 7 with IOS 12.1 works great with plugging it into the USB adapter in the dash storage compartment. My Ipod touch is finicky and will work fine for days and then will act up and then I have to plug and unplug a few times starts working again.
    Bikerdave48
    2017 Spyder F3 Limited