Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default iPod not functioning on 2017 RT Limited

Wife has a 2017 RT Limited and the iPod function has never worked correctly. Using an iPhone 6 (one of the approved devices according to users manual) with a real Apple cable plugged into the USB port in the trunk. Front screen sees its an iPod and will go into iPod mode. Music begins to play but it "skips" and sort of resets the song like the device is connecting then disconnecting the reconnecting then disconnecting. Tried with an iPhone 8 Plus with the exact same results. Tried a non-Apple cable, same results. This is pointing me to something wrong with the bike somewhere (connection, radio).

We tried an iPod Nano (not approved according to users manual) and it plays just fine but no control other than volume (this is expected behavior).

Anyone have any suggestions as this is driving my wife insane. She can't be without her music and control of that music on our rides.

Spyder Garage

Take some time & test while at home. Watch the iPod while she try's the controls, could just be the settings on the phone interfering. I had to turn off the lock screen on IPhone 4
    more info thanks to Finless:

Last edited by Bfromla; 10-24-2018 at 03:23 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Agree on double teaming the setup to see if anything obvious shows.

As for the IPod Nano, volume only, was that per an owners manual or just how it acted.

Been a while since I connected anything else besides our working setup. Does the Nano only have the round audio connector or does it also have a lightning connector? Seems odd, unless audio only, that it is limited to just volume control.

Spyder Garage

Any update?

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Any update?
    No change. iPhone 6 and iPhone 8 both still do not work correctly. When plugged into the Spyder via the USB port and using Apple Music App, both iPhone's play a few seconds of a song and then pause and then play then pause... I have a video of what the iPhone is doing but do not know how to post it here. The phones play fine when not connected to the Spyder.

As for the Nano, I don't expect it to work completely as it is not listed as a supported device in our users manual.

Spyder Garage

Default Radio manufacturer?

Anyone know who the manufacturer of the Spyder radios are? I want to reach out to them directly to see about our iPod/iPhone issue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Nano is probably not updated but the iPhones probably have new OS so that might be no longer meshing with the bike's system. Even though you don't sense any vibration when riding there is and it could be the phone jack in the phone is loose enough to be causing a problem. Does the problem happen when the bike it just sitting? Hold the phone jack in the phone so the connection is solid and see if that works.

You don't upload a video to spyderlovers, you upload it to Youtube then copy link and post it here.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    The Nano is probably not updated but the iPhones probably have new OS so that might be no longer meshing with the bike's system. Even though you don't sense any vibration when riding there is and it could be the phone jack in the phone is loose enough to be causing a problem. Does the problem happen when the bike it just sitting? Hold the phone jack in the phone so the connection is solid and see if that works.

You don't upload a video to spyderlovers, you upload it to Youtube then copy link and post it here.
    The phones do not work even when the bike is sitting still. I considered the vibration issue and ruled that out first. Here is the video (hopefully). Watch the time and the Play/Pause button

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viiiball View Post
    The phones do not work even when the bike is sitting still. I considered the vibration issue and ruled that out first. Here is the video (hopefully). Watch the time and the Play/Pause button
    I'm pretty sure the trunk DIN connector is designed to be used with an iPod....it is on my 2014 RTs anyway.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-30-2018 at 01:18 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wife has a 2017 RT Limited and the iPod function has never worked correctly. We tried an iPod Nano (not approved according to users manual) and it plays just fine but no control other than volume (this is expected behavior). Anyone have any suggestions as this is driving my wife insane. She can't be without her music and control of that music on our rides.
    Does your bike have a DIN connector in the trunk? That is designed to be used with the iPod cable that should have come with the bike.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm pretty sure the trunk DIN connector is designed to be used with an iPod....it is on my 2014 RTs anyway.
    All but the iPod Touch were discontinued in 2017. According to page 41 of our owners manual the iPhone's 5 & 6 are (should be) compatible. Wife is using an iPhone 6 but I have also tested on an iPhone 8 Plus with same results.
    IMG_4120.jpg

Spyder Garage

Does your bike have a DIN connector in the trunk? That is designed to be used with the iPod cable that should have come with the bike.
    Our 2017 RT has a USB connection into which you plug your corresponding cable. There is also an AUX port available in the trunk but that does not give you any control over the music functions other than volume. We have been utilizing the AUX port as a workaround but want the iPod function from the main gauge to work as advertised.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our 2017 RT has a USB connection into which you plug your corresponding cable. There is also an AUX port available in the trunk but that does not give you any control over the music functions other than volume. We have been utilizing the AUX port as a workaround but want the iPod function from the main gauge to work as advertised.
    My RT has this DIN connector and DIN / iPod adapter cable. Does yours not have them?

DIN connector.jpg DIN-iPod cable.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My RT has this DIN connector and DIN / iPod adapter cable. Does yours not have them?
    We do not have the iPod specific connector. In our 2017 we have a USB connector instead of the iPod specific connector.
    IMG_4121.jpg

Spyder Garage

We do not have the iPod specific connector. In our 2017 we have a USB connector instead of the iPod specific connector.
    IMG_4121.jpg
    Need the iPod specific cable to control the iPod
    , other is just AUX, allows volume control bout it

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Need the iPod specific cable to control the iPod
    , other is just AUX, allows volume control bout it
    I know that. I was answering another posters question about the connectors that appear in the trunk of our Spyder. We use an Apple lightening cable connected through the USB port.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMG_4121.jpg
    I don't see how that could possibly do anything other than provide an audio signal to the Aux In on the bike's audio system. That looks like a 3.5mm female headphone jack on the non-USB end of the cable, with no provision for iPod controls.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I don't see how that could possibly do anything other than provide an audio signal to the Aux In on the bike's audio system. That looks like a 3.5mm female headphone jack on the non-USB end of the cable, with no provision for iPod controls.
    That's the ends of 2 separate cables.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydeeBSL View Post
    That's the ends of 2 separate cables.
    How do you know that?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

How do you know that?
    Same setup as on my 2018. The cables are in the frunk and you only see the 2 ends. The other ends are connected inside the system.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydeeBSL View Post
    Same setup as on my 2018. The cables are in the frunk and you only see the 2 ends. The other ends are connected inside the system.
    Okay, well I don't know for sure, but I think the 2018 is very different than all the prior years.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I don't see how that could possibly do anything other than provide an audio signal to the Aux In on the bike's audio system. No provision for iPod controls.
    We plug an Apple lightening cable into the USB port. This is standard setup on the "newer" Spyders. Not sure when BRP changed from the iPod specific connector to the USB.

Spyder Garage

2017 has usb port, not din connector.

Just put your music on a simple thumb drive and plug it in to the USB port. It will index and play the music with control from the handlebar and screen. Much easier than using your iphone and it can stay in the bike. Thumb drives are CHEAP.

The problem with your phone is likely due to the 500ma power limit on the BRP provided USB port. The phone is going in and out of charge mode, resetting the data bus. Lots of folks have complained about this since 2016 and never a fix.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 10-30-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    2017 has usb port, not din connector.

Just put your music on a simple thumb drive and plug it in to the USB port. It will index and play the music with control from the handlebar and screen. Much easier than using your iphone and it can stay in the bike. Thumb drives are CHEAP.

The problem with your phone is likely due to the 500ma power limit on the BRP provided USB port. The phone is going in and out of charge mode, resetting the data bus. Lots of folks have complained about this since 2016 and never a fix.
    Thank you JC. You may have identified this for me. Curious as to why I don't see others posting about this issue on Spyderlovers. I would assume this is a universal problem and no one with an iPhone would be able to use it as a music source.

Spyder Garage

We plug an Apple lightening cable into the USB port. This is standard setup on the "newer" Spyders. Not sure when BRP changed from the iPod specific connector to the USB.
    Ok that helps a little, don't know if the USB allows control or just acts as a dock
    (will charge & play) but not much else. Previous cables had the 30pin & the had to use a lightning adapter. The true Apple adapters worked the best, but did allow control & provided info playlist access & other info. Might have to visit my dealer to test

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack