Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Almost Time For Second Service - Now? Or Wait Until Spring?

I had my first service done on my 2016 F-3T at about 3500 miles. That means that I'm due for another service at about 12,800 miles, if my info is correct.

I'm currently at about 11,100 and anticipate one more month of riding before winter sets in and I put her into hibernation. That may bring me close to the 12,000 mile mark. Assuming these numbers are correct, should I get the service done BEFORE hibernation, or should I wait until spring? (I'm assuming that my dealer will still be doing Spyder service this late in the year. They're gearing up with snowmobiles right now...). Or does it even matter whether I wait or not?

Any thoughts/opinions on this would be appreciated.
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I would get the oil changed. Not good to let contaminated oil sit over the winter. Eats away at the engine parts. Bearings, clutch, ect.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

well....there are at least two schools of thought on that subject, and I've been kicking it around
    in my brain lately also.
    There is the theory that some of the contaminants in your used (current ) oil, may separate
    over time, and the associated acids and such just sitting can kind of "sour" your engine.
    Others think that by putting fresh oil in your machine before wintering up,
    you can spoil your new oil, because it's hygroscopic and absorbs moisture over the course
    of the winter, that never gets a chance to be evaporated off by engine heat.

there you go. I'm sure there will be folks coming down on both sides of the issue. and I will continue to ponder...while I still ryde.

oh yeah, the sincerely serious motorcyclist would, back in the day, overfill their crankcase to brimming,
    leaving zero room for condensation, then in the spring, drain it all out and toss it . (I mean recycle it of course)
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I am at the point where I have one oil change service per year--we don't exceed the specs (9,500 for the 1330 and 3,500 or so for the 998). I like to put fresh oil and filters at the start of each season. So I guess that makes me a spring oil changer.

Barring any other problems--once a year is my current modus operendi.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It depends somewhat on which oil you are using. Full synthetic will stay on parts longer and resist moisture better than a blend. But oil isn't what it used to be. Contaminants don't bother modern oils as much as the used to. And Spyders don't typically have much problem with contaminants. The big killer for the Spyder is the transmission. It crushes the oil molecules and breaks them apart. That is why the viscosity in the BRP blended oil really starts to go away at about 4,500 miles. Better made oils will go longer while still maintaining viscosities closer to original spec.

All factors taken together. I'd lean towards the early, end of season oil change if you're using the BRP (or similar) blended. And go for the spring oil change if you're using a quality, full synthetic oil.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-22-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I changed my F3 at 10,200 last Nov- Extracted 2 Quarts at 13,000 (Aug) and replaced with fresh-this Nov I expect to have 14,800 and will do the Full oil change and filter. I use Valvoline 10-40 synthetic MA2 and I don't care if I over do it one bit. If I start it during the winter its always at least a 2 hour drive!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

This has nothing to do with oil, but I work part time at my buddies bike shop and we do our best to get folks to bring their rides in over the winter months. Reason one is because it is our slow season and we can use the work. Reason two is we can get them in and out rather quickly and they will be ready to ride when that first nice day arrives. Very few take us up on the offer and then when the first nice day arrives we get slammed and customers get upset because they are told it will be a few weeks before we can get them in.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    This has nothing to do with oil, but I work part time at my buddies bike shop and we do our best to get folks to bring their rides in over the winter months. Reason one is because it is our slow season and we can use the work. Reason two is we can get them in and out rather quickly and they will be ready to ride when that first nice day arrives. Very few take us up on the offer and then when the first nice day arrives we get slammed and customers get upset because they are told it will be a few weeks before we can get them in.
    Educating a customer can be one of the most challenging parts of any enterprise. Some are great. Others just never seem to catch up. It takes all kinds. But I try to be the former when I am a customer.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I think it depends on do you service your own, or take it in? How are the dealers wait time in your area? Do they service snowmobiles too? In which, season may not matter.

For me, I'd rather do it now for peace of mind. Never know when good weather will hit during off season and you'll want to ride.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I do mine in the Fall when the mileage comes due.I don't really ever put mine up but it does get ridden a lot less in the winter. So I will change the oil here in the next week or two as it is getting close to the 4500 mark (change interval for V twins.) It will get too cold to do it out in the cement driveway (No garage). Come Spring I will change it again regardless of the miles,just cause I am old school and I also keep a supply of filters and oil on hand. I buy whatever is on sale Rotella or Valvoline. If I don't get too cold I may change out the rear tire as it is getting due. It does have 33000 on it. My tire guy said it had an 80000 warranty and wanted to see how far it would really go. I don't know if the warranty is still in effect but I have a new Pirelli tire waiting. Thanks Blueknight for the heads up on the sale.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    I think it depends on do you service your own, or take it in? How are the dealers wait time in your area? Do they service snowmobiles too? In which, season may not matter.

For me, I'd rather do it now for peace of mind. Never know when good weather will hit during off season and you'll want to ride.
    Good points, Kiry. I take it in, and my dealer does a brisk snowmobile business, so perhaps now is the time. I'll check on whether service Spyders over the winter.

Thanks for all of your thoughts everyone!

Bert
    Bert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just spoke with my dealer and got a quote for around $300 for full service. Because they're switching over to snowmobiles almost exclusively soon, I guess I'll get it done in the next week or two.

Thanks!
    Bert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Good.........

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Just spoke with my dealer and got a quote for around $300 for full service. Because they're switching over to snowmobiles almost exclusively soon, I guess I'll get it done in the next week or two.

Thanks!

Excellent choice Bert. Come the first nice spring day next year and all you have to think about is unhook the tender, fire her up and go.

Spyder Garage

Easy solution - move over here to Australia.

There's no such thing as a riding season here, we ride all year round. OK, it rains sometimes but that's all.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands