Spyder Garage

Unhappy Rear brake piston won't compress to fit new brake pads Model spyder is 2010 techno

Hi all", I spent the whole day today trying to fit new rear brake pads on my 2010 rt spyder SE5 model, I got everything done ok until I took old brake pads off, but then the piston would not compress even with a c clamp. I just loosened slightly the bleeder but not too much because I heard BUDS will be needed to help bleed the brakes. I put the old brake pads back in and I hope someone here knows what I could try to solv this issue,

Regards Peter

Spyder Garage

I hate to suggest this but it could be the piston is frozen in the caliper. Try using a larger c clamp. However if it is frozen you are probably looking at a replacement.

Joe
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Don't you hafta use the park brake activation lever to 'wind/screw' the early RT rear caliper pistons back in, or was that just the GS/RS/RSS bikes?

I know that when they went to the Brembo brakes (in 2013) instead of using that park brake arm, you need to use a brake cylinder tool or needle nosed pliers to screw/wind their rear caliper pistons back in, & I think that's still valid on the latest models!

If you drop me a pm telling me where/what city your home is, rather than just in Australia, I might even be able to put you in touch with a local ryder who can help!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-22-2018 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Help
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT. The pistons on 2012 and earlier models were pushed back in. 2013 and later had the Brembo calipers. They were screwed back in. You may have to back off your parking brake actuator shaft a bit CCW.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 10-22-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default One more check....

Many times if the C clamp was started a little off the piston will go back unevenly and jam. The best way then is to push it out clean the surfaces and smooth any areas that may have been damaged to get it back in. Agree that you check the park brake first especially if you have had it readjusted at any point. .
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Don't you hafta use the park brake activation lever to 'wind/screw' the early RT rear caliper pistons back in, or was that just the GS/RS/RSS bikes?

I know that when they went to the Brembo brakes (in 2013) instead of using that park brake arm, you need to use a brake cylinder tool or needle nosed pliers to screw/wind their rear caliper pistons back in, & I think that's still valid on the latest models!

If you drop me a pm telling me where/what city your home is, rather than just in Australia, I might even be able to put you in touch with a local ryder who can help!
    Hi Peter", I live in Bairnsdale Victoria and am in the Ulysses club and there are a few Spyder owners in the club. maybe they might know what to do,

Regards Peter

Spyder Garage

If the new brake pads will ALMOST fit, I would suspect you need to back off your P-Brake adjustment (you should do this in any case).

If the new pads don't come close to having enough room then you may have a caliper binding issue.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default rear brake piston won't compress for rt spyder

Hi all", I purchased a disc brake spreader tool and the job is done. Thanks to all who post here and Finless Bob too. Picture of tool used here,

Regards Peter20181026_160424.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by peterRT; 10-26-2018 at 02:43 AM. Reason: one more picture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peterRT View Post
    Hi all", I purchased a disc brake spreader tool and the job is done. Thanks to all who post here and Finless Bob too. Picture of tool used here,

Regards Peter
    If this tool worked I am very surprised that your C-Clamp failed you. A C-Clamp will put a lot more pressure on the caliper piston than this tool. Glad you got it fixed though.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    If this tool worked I am very surprised that your C-Clamp failed you. A C-Clamp will put a lot more pressure on the caliper piston than this tool. Glad you got it fixed though.
    Hi mate", I think the problem with C Clamp was I did not have it clamping down straight on the piston,

Regards Peter