Spyder Garage

Default Low Brake Fluid Warning Light and How Often Do You Have to Add

2015 RTL, owned for 6 months and put on about 2400 miles

So about 1000 to 1200 miles ago I had my first Low Brake fluid warning experience, bike on a slight decline and parking brake won’t engage, orange warning screen etc. Came home and put about 5 cap fulls in it and all was good.

Since then have put on another 1000 give or take including a 5 day trip on Hiway one along the coast. Most of my riding is “city” generally a 20 mile round trip for coffee involving a few stop lights and signs along the way 4-6 days a week.

Today I got it again while the bike was on a slight decline BUT it was when I was releasing the parking brake not setting it and I hadn’t shut the bike down while I made a quick ATM withdrawl. Pushed the button a few times to engage and disengage it including shutting the bike down and restarting it. Still got the warning but footbrake worked fine. Stopped at home and set the brake with no problem on a flat surface without shutting it down Took the bike up into a hilly area found a flat spot and set the brake without a problem again not shutting down. Then on two separate occasions on the way back down with steep inclines tried it again and got no warning light. No warning light when I got home and shut down either.

Pretty sure I’ve gotten better at braking judiciously and down shifting more to slow down. No visible leaks on garage floor but I haven’t pulled any plastic to check in other places.

So my questions are about how often do you have to add fluid and how much and yes I expect variation based on ability, highway vs city etc. Just trying to find out what’s “normal”. Also wondering if I just ran into a nanny glitch.

I haven’t gone back out to check the level yet.

Thanks in advance.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have 22K miles on my 2011 RTS. I changed my brake fluid two years ago, but have never had to add any.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

As hypersensitive as it is ANY incline & especially declines it shows its ugly head
    on average I've limited it to twice a year but has been more. F I've also had a bad sensor (rear) & changed my pads at 30k miles. I keep a bottle fresh at house ready & address quickly as well as inspect pads. Finding a level parking spot has helped keep it away

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I have about 25K on my 15 RTL and I added a small amount at perhaps 18K miles, and that's all.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

On my 2013 STL, I never had to add brake fluid to it. Had it 5 yrs and put 72,000 kms (45,000 miles). Changed the pads and bled the brakes once and never overfilled and the caps never leaked. So once you fill the reservoir to the correct level you should never have to add again. Brake fluid level has nothing to do with the parking brake working. If the fluid level is just on the border line and goes a little lower when the parking brake engages. That could cause a warning. But the parking brake should still work. No matter how much brake fluid is in it.

Are you getting a brake failure warning screen? If so what is the fault code? Press mode, set and turn signal cancel buttons all at the same time. Post the code here and someone will look it up for you.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Ok, no codes with bike running or not running and I haven’t gotten the error since the one stop at the ATM and to make sure we are talking the same thing it was a low brake fluid message I think followed by a brake failure message when I tried to disengage the parking brake. I haven’t t been able to repeat the error since that one stop.

If I released the footbrake while the error showed and the red parking indicator was blinking the bike rolled.

Sorry if that sounds confusing or is not helpful.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 10-25-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Had to add brake fluid for the first time last week, 2013 RTS with 35k miles

Spyder Garage

Mine like to rear their ugly heads on the 13 mile descent from Hatcher Pass. Very steep inclines. It has never been more than once a year, and it took about a tablespoon full to remedy the situation.

No issues this year--why???????

If yours is doing it frequently now, I would have it checked out. Maybe a leak somewhere.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-25-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Mine like to rear their ugly heads on the 13 mile descent from Hatcher Pass. Very steep inclines. It has never been more than once a year, and it took about a tablespoon full to remedy the situation.

No issues this year--why???????

If yours is doing it frequently now, I would have it check out. Maybe a leak somewhere.
    Going in for a service in January will deal with it then I guess

i will say the first time it happened 1000 miles ago the orange screen did not go away and I could repeat the issue until I added brake fluid. So far today it’s just the one time.

Spyder Garage

You shouldn't have to add fluid very often, so a leak check is in order. However, the master cylinder reservoir sensor is very sensitive. Very little change in fluid level will trigger the warning light.

I would also suggest checking the pad thickness, since it looks like you may do a fair amount of city driving. Because as you may or may not know, when the pads get thinner that causes the fluid level to go down and is a quick indicator of pad wear.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Ok, no codes with bike running or not running and I haven’t gotten the error since the one stop at the ATM and to make sure we are talking the same thing it was a low brake fluid message I think followed by a brake failure message when I tried to disengage the parking brake. I haven’t t been able to repeat the error since that one stop.

If I released the footbrake while the error showed and the red parking indicator was blinking the bike rolled.

Sorry if that sounds confusing or is not helpful.
    Mode, Set and Turn cancel only works for active codes. That means the warning has to be on the screen when you push the buttons. Did not pick up that the warning was for only moment. So that's why no codes showed up.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't worry about it. As the pads wear the pistons move in & draw fluid level down. As mentioned the sensor is very sensitive. I've had the brake failure light come on & there was a display that said low fluid level. It doesn't take much of a decline to trip it. All you need to do is get on the level & turn bike off and restart. No more warning until next time you park on a decine. Add a bit of fluid next good chance.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Haven’t seen it since so just keeping my fingers crossed right now.

Appreciate everyone’s help though.