Spyder Garage

Default RT Service and a new one from the dealer excuse (really)

On my 2014 RT started getting Limo Mode when starting followeed by the check engine light. After about 10 seconds the limp mode when out and at times the check engine light would stay flashing, and sometimes not. No codes on display,SO, to the dealer I go and they found a P0340 alarm in the computer. This is the camshaft position sensor Alarm. Code automatically clears after the 10 second startup. Now a new camshaft sensor is on order.
    But here's the comment on the work sheet. May have a issue in wiring due to many accessories being added to the vehicle. Now I have the bare bones RT and added LED's from Trickled and Spyderzone. Nothing fancy. Found that comment funny due to the other RT's with all the bells an whistles have a lot more driving lights, heaters ect than I will ever have. All RT's have the same harness per the dealership jut what you wanted when bought is plugged in.
    Anyone ever gotten that as an excuse for failing engine senors that adding lights will damage the camshaft sensor?..

Spyder Garage

Are they claiming the accessories caused the sensor to fail or are they just making a notation that there has been accessories added that may or may not compromise the wiring? I always make notes when I get a bike with accessories added and I also mention to the owner that it looks like a nice install or it looks like a hack job. I've seen many more hack jobs than I have clean installs over the years. I think any halfway decent tech would make a note of any add on goodies on the machine he is working on.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Without much effort, there is easily found issues with Spyders from aftermarket lights out there on the internet.

Some that have had problems, even under warranty, had to pay for the lights to be disconnected before any troubleshooting would commence. Word was BRP insisted on this.

Apparently, noisy LEDs can and have caused issues with the Syper electronics.

If I had the desire to add LED effects lighting, myself, I would make all connections through a master switch.

As for third brake lights, headlights and similar, that master switch is difficult to do.

Spyder Garage

And that the biggest reason I have refrained from adding any extra lights except the small LED indicators on my mirrors.
    From the beginning Shawn Smoak has said that bad wiring is one of his biggest complaints.
    Spyder Farkels and eagles 015.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

It is true that cheap lighting can give you fits on the Spyder. Quality lighting installed correctly will not cause any issues and is a joy (not to mention a safety improvement).

So either get a quality setup or don't do it at all. Good stuff is not always necessary. But good stuff will always cost you more.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is true that cheap lighting can give you fits on the Spyder. Quality lighting installed correctly will not cause any issues and is a joy (not to mention a safety improvement).

So either get a quality setup or don't do it at all. Good stuff is not always necessary. But good stuff will always cost you more.
    In the end good stuff can cost less .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If i had the problem i know my dealer would make the same excuse

Spyder Garage

I have always had the dealer install accessory lighting. That way, if there is a problem, guess who gets blamed?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red