Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Grinding clutch plates

When my 2015 RS SE5 is cold, it feels like clutch plates are grinding or something but once it’s warmed up, it’s fine. I let it idle while I get ready but until it’s up to 2-3bars, I get that weird, grinding, friction feel when I take off. Once I get going, it goes away but it just feels really bad.

I don’t know if it’s just cooler weather, if 50-60 degree weather can even be considered cold or something is going on...

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
    I’m running castrol full synthetic 10w-40. I do think I put little bit too much oil when changing oil but I don’t know if that can cause anything like this plus that was 4 weeks ago and it didn’t start to happen till recently.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...564%7CL4*16566
    Last edited by aka1004; 10-15-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

What happens if you kick it in gear after starting...? any additives in the oil.. ? Oil level you stated is good or over and it is still the cintrifigal clutch so it should not take long to get oiled up. Do you have high mileage...? it is hard to say without hearing it but could be bearings or something else. Still try engaging it and getting the clutch to working and see if things change. Could still be the clutch.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’m getting that dry friction with vibration that feels like clutch plates are grinding when I first take off, only before spyder is fully warmed up or at least 2 bars and it Idles normal when started and when stopped. It’s just first few take offs when cold that this happens.

For instance, I was in a hurry this morning and it was coldest morning of the year at low 50 degrees and I only let it idle a minute while I put my helmet on and attach my phone, terrible 1st grinding takeoff, 1st stop sign out of parking lot, little smoother and by the 3rd stops sign which isn’t that far, vibrating friction is gone. Clutch engages well as soon as it’s put in gear from the beginning.

No additives, about 5000 miles and it read little bit over the full mark on dipstick.

It could be coincidence but it started to happen after this cold front. I think there were couple of times before when I take off shortly after spyder was started, there were light vibration when backing out but no more when I pull forward.
    It’s heating back up to 80 this week so we shall see, I guess.

Spyder Garage

Default worriesome for sure

if it causes you to question the operation of the cycle , best to have it looked at by a good mechanic , have those folks take it for a ride { might be the plates are getting loose } , Chupaca has some good questions !

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Probably Normal

The V-Twin SE5 clutch plates were redesigned in 2013. Situation covered by this TST:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...7&d=1420923300

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=clutch

Plus you are using a 10W-40 vice a 5W-40 which may exacerbate the situation a little.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 10-16-2018 at 06:32 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you.
    That article from brp describes what’s happening to my spyder 100% correctly.
    I guess it just didn’t happen when it was 90-100 degrees everyday.

Spyder Garage

Default It didn't get fixed in 2013

I have had my 2013 RTS SE5 for about 2 months now. That memo says they will fix it in 2013. Well they didn't. Mine chattered really bad starting out in first or reverse when cold. Really quite loud. Sounds like it is going to break something. I asked the BRP mechanic at the dealer and he said it was normal. I added one of Doc's belt dampeners and have been playing with the belt tension. I also try to be careful with the throttle when it is cold. The dampener made the biggest difference. Tighter belt tension helps also. I think lower gearing would help. Overall gearing but especially first and reverse. The engine is so gutless down low it is hard to get going. I don't know how anyone pulls a trailer. 5th gear is almost useless.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was a little warmer day today and I let it idle till 2 bars after starting and it was better.
    Less of the symptom at initial take off and disappeared sooner.

But I’m still suspicious of this. If this happened to EVERY RS after 2013, I would have heard more about it.
    then again I was away from spyder for few years so IDK...

Spyder Garage

Default Grinding clutch plates

FWIW my 2014 RS-M has clutch chatter @ start up and for the first mile or so no matter what the temperature happens to be. Been that way fron the get go through 55K+ miles. And if you pull a trailer you do a lot of rpms and slipping of the clutch to get going from a dead stop.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White