Spyder Garage

Default Favorable Ryker review in The Guardian (major UK newspaper)

A major UK paper has a short but glowing article about the Ryker. Oddly, it's not clear if the author actually rode one.

It starts at less than £9,000 and for that you get a hell of a lot of trike. It’s comfortable, fun and easy to ride.

Apparently in the UK you can operate one on a car driver's license. I wonder if the Ryker was targeted more for the UK/Europe than for the States?

Article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...or-your-money-
    current ryde: 2017 RT-S

previous bikes:
    1975 Yamaha RD 200, 1978 Honda CX 500, 1980 Yamaha SR 500, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550,
    2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650, 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650LT
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rodentrancher View Post
    A major UK paper has a short but glowing article about the Ryker. Oddly, it's not clear if the author actually rode one.

Apparently in the UK you can operate one on a car driver's license. I wonder if the Ryker was targeted more for the UK/Europe than for the States?

Article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...or-your-money-
    It's SMALL enough

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Nice...

Nice aticle and good reports will help no matter where they are from. Would agree that it was designed more with the foriegn market than ours. They tend to be much more expensive abroad and their roads are more suited for the Ryker....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

In the European Union, anyone aged 21 or over can drive a trike with a car driving licence. Helmets are compulsory. A 600cc costs 9.799 Euro, a 900cc 11.499 Euro and the ralley edition costs 12.699 Euro. For comparison a F3-S costs 22.199 Euro, a F3 Limited 27.799 Euro and a RT Limited 29.299 Euro.

Spyder Garage

Glad to see another article with good things to say about the product.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In the UK you need a licence issued before a certain date to ride one without a motorbike test (2013 I think) as it comes under some very old 'tricycle' rules. The government stopped including them with new licences after that date.

No need to wear a helmet in UK either, but I wouldn't ride it without one personally. I'm quite fond of my brain staying inside my head.

As for the Guardian article he definitely hasn't ridden it. There haven't been any European test rides AFAIK and I haven't seen any pictures of the euro spec as yet (we'll need different lights to meet regs).
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

In Germany until 2017 it was allowed to drive a trike with a car driving licence issued before January 2013. In 2017 the law was changed, now everyone can drive a trike from 21 years with a car driving licence.

In these videos you can see the european version with blinkers:

Last edited by Batmobil-F3; 10-18-2018 at 07:10 AM.

Spyder Garage

Also in the UK you can drive a trike from 21 years with a car driving licence, link https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped
    You can drive a motor tricycle of any power rating if both of the following are true:

• you’re over 21
    • you have a full car driving licence

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by susfrat View Post
    In these videos you can see the european version with blinkers:

Ah thanks for those. The light 'pods' for the headlights look ok but those rear stalks are horrible!! UUrrgghhh. I thought the F3s were bad.

They will need an replacing or bringing in at the very least. Luckily we don't have your TUV so we can get away with altering them and no-one will pick it up.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Also in the UK you can drive a trike from 21 years with a car driving licence, link https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped
    Only if licence was issued before 2013. After 2013 motorbike test is required unless you have a disability in which case you can take a 3 wheeler test:
    Motor tricycles

If you hold category B1 entitlement (trikes and quads), when you renew or replace your licence after 19 January 2013 it will show categories B1 and A. The A entitlement will be limited to tricycles and you will not be able to ride motorbikes you were not previously allowed to.
    Provisional licences now only cover you to ride motor tricycles if you have a physical disability. Driving tests for 3-wheeled vehicles are only available for physically disabled drivers.

Non-disabled drivers who want to ride motor tricycles need to pass CBT and the theory and practical tests on a 2-wheeled motorbike.

A Unrestricted motorcycles in size/power, with or without a sidecar, and motor tricycles with power output over 15 kW Direct access route - CBTtheory and practical (you must be at least 24)

Progressive access route - held an A2 licence for a minimum of 2 years - practical test (21 or over)
    24 (direct) or 21 (progressive access)

I passed my car test in 1990 so I can ride the 3 wheeler tricycle on my car licence without taking any bike tests. Although I did do a basic asfety course.
    Last edited by monkeyboymorton; 10-18-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

the TÜV in Germany has nothing against a turn signal conversion. Here are some examples from Germany

F3 Blinker2.jpgF3 Blinker.jpgF3 Blinker3.jpg
    Last edited by Batmobil-F3; 10-19-2018 at 04:14 AM.

Spyder Garage

the TÜV in Germany has nothing against a turn signal conversion. Here are some examples from Germany

F3 Blinker2.jpgF3 Blinker.jpgF3 Blinker3.jpg
    Ah ok, after reading about how much trouble it is to get TUV to agree a different tyre (on spyderforum.de) I presumed everything was prescribed.

A solution like those above will be the first thing I would do to a Ryker as those rear stalks ruin the back end. Would look much better with them tucked in.

I haven't changed the F3 ones as I have the Shad bags so they don't stick out more than those anyway.

Spyder Garage

Default In Spain

For all new driving licenses obtained in Spain since January 19th, 2013 the minimum age to drive a Can-Am Spyder will be 21 years old.
    he valid driver's license to drive a Can-Am Spyder is still the class B (car permit)
    the use of the helmet is mandatory.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark