Spyder Garage

Default Surging, any ideas?

I have a 2016 RT Limited, I recently rode from Asheville, NC to Ohio. While up there riding the back roads, the bike started surging. Not a constant, but seemed to increase after being ridden awhile. It concerned me enough that I took it into a dealer in Burbank (?) to see if they could diagnose the issue... no codes. The mechanic replaced the spark plugs which seemed to resolve the problem, until yesterday when it surged again. Just briefly, but nevertheless, I'm not happy. Bike only has 10-11k miles on it. Shouldn't need plugs. The mechanic said something like "there's a coating used on the plugs and if if drips into the cylinder it can ruin the plugs". (This is what BRP told him) Anybody had anything like this happen? I'm back in NC but may take this up with BRP as it should be a warranty issue with so few miles on it. Anyway, any ideas?
    TIA, Bill

Spyder Garage

Sounds fuel related to me. Don't know the weather and humidity where you are/were riding but a guess is moisture in the fuel. Try a little Seafoam additive to see if that doesn't clear things up for you. Good luck.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Gas sounds right

What octane of gas do you purchase ? The reason I ask is , if you use the higher octane , in rural areas , the higher price of octane small cities do not sell as much , and it gets water in the ground tanks at those off the main road stops... You might have received bad gas at one of those ...

Spyder Garage

Default Surging

Gas makes sense but I've gone through several tanks at different dealers. I always run 89 -93 octane. Could've been some water? Hope I'm on the other side of this issue! Appreciate your thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Vacuum lines.My 2012 RT did the same thing, got worse and finally would die at stop lights and not downshift into first when stopping. The front vacuum line was cracked and after i replaced them it runs great again.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default first thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    Vacuum lines.My 2012 RT did the same thing, got worse and finally would die at stop lights and not downshift into first when stopping. The front vacuum line was cracked and after i replaced them it runs great again.
    I was thinking those lines at 1st , but for a 2016 model , I put gas option , shoot could be both at the same time , had a fellow hoosier have same problems , and it actually was both ! all are good places to start looking { vacuum lines are a pain but if this is it worth it to get them fixed } happy rides there

Spyder Garage

On a '16 I doubt seriously vaccuum lines are involved; I also don't think we've seen on SL any vaccuum line problems on the 1330 engines. I'd vote bad gas. Regarding the "mecchanic" and stuff dripping off the spark plugs he was probably referring to the thermal heat paste that is supposed to be put on the spark plugs when they are changed. The instructions on the paste specifically say not to put it on the two threads at the business end of the plug. I doubt again that a new engine would have the paste improperly applied during original assembly.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default That's a thought

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post

Vacuum lines could be the culprit, thanks for the input. Wouldn't think the lines would be bad on a 2 year old bike, BUT... something is causing this and that could be. After the shop changed plugs, it ran great until my last ride, day before yesterday, when it surged once. I'll run it next week and see what happens, maybe look into the lines at that point. Appreciate your help!

Spyder Garage

Default Surging

If the surging is very slight and occurs while under constant load, such as cruising on level ground, check the purge solenoid and the canister. Mine did the that type of surging. I did the canisterectomy and is fixed the problem. Do a search for canisterectomy and you will find the procedure.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Another Idea

Purge Valve for fuel tank MIGHT be acting up...A simple thing to try would be unhook the purge valve line from the top of the fuel tank (just let the unpluged line open) and temporally run a new vent line from the tank fitting to underneath the bike and tie it fast with a zip tie...Ride it and see if the problem went away...

If the problem is fixed and you do not want to replace the purge valve just install a small cheap fuel filter in the unpluged and another somewhere in the new vent line...

My 2014 RTS started surging and also became hard starting in warm weather about 2 years ago...I did the temporary fix and my problem went away...So I make the vent line permanent...

larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    On a '16 I doubt seriously vaccuum lines are involved; I also don't think we've seen on SL any vaccuum line problems on the 1330 engines. I'd vote bad gas. Regarding the "mecchanic" and stuff dripping off the spark plugs he was probably referring to the thermal heat paste that is supposed to be put on the spark plugs when they are changed. The instructions on the paste specifically say not to put it on the two threads at the business end of the plug. I doubt again that a new engine would have the paste improperly applied during original assembly.
    Appreciate your explaining that to me. I was perplexed by what he said about the plugs, never heard of that before. Now I'm curious about what the other posts might mean about the purge solenoid? Plan to ride it next week and see if it acts up... hope not. Thanks again! Bill

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Quick Test

Quote Originally Posted by StillKickin View Post
    Appreciate your explaining that to me. I was perplexed by what he said about the plugs, never heard of that before. Now I'm curious about what the other posts might mean about the purge solenoid? Plan to ride it next week and see if it acts up... hope not. Thanks again! Bill

If it acts up while riding and the gas tank is not tip top full just try loosening the gas cap and see if the problem goes away...JUST BE CAREFUL THAT NO GAS SPLASHES OUT...