Spyder Garage

Default My first oil change

After being quoted $400 for an oil change on my RT I decided to do it myself.
    Spent about $160.00 and most of my Saturday. But considering that half of that was the Harbor Freight's jack I'll be reusing in the future. I'm a happy camper.
    Lamonster's oil change kit had all I needed. Including a couple of candy to get the oil flavor off my mouth.

It did get a little messy but it was my first oil change ever so it was to be expected. I'm sure next one will go better.

Thank goodness for Lamonster, SpyderLovers, google and youtube!
    Julio Aburto

Black Currant 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2013 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Julio, you got it, I have cut my oil change time to 1/4 the original time with practice. I have a Spyder tool box and keep all the oil change tools in the top tray for easy / quick access.
    It seems like the first change I do each spring takes the longest and then the subsequent changes (I have the V-twin and ride a few oil changes worth each year).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I also did my first Spyder oil change recently. Seems way more difficult than it needs to be, but what do I know. I'm sure the designers did the best they could considering the challenges they had to overcome. I have done plenty of oil changes, car and bike, and I can still get messy. I'm sure we'll get better with the Spyder given enough time.

BTW - congratulations on your first oil change. You'll be looking for all kinds of new wrenching activities now.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default congratulations....🎉🎉🎉

Well done.. you will have no problems from now on. Now that you have the lift you can do much more with ease...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Oil change tip

Hay Burto,

On your next oil change ( or before ) Get out the ol' Dremel tool and open up the 2 holes in the plastic where the 2 drain bolts are. You'll be happy you did this.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I did my 1st recently. Someone said to get a piece of tubing that will fit over the draing plug and put the torx driver thru it to help eliminate the mess. Congrats
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

You have now joined the " OH MY GOD " Club of folks who have Spyders and
    for the first time had them serviced at the dealer...
    I have a 1 ton shop truck, I can have the oil changed 7 times for what they charge
    here for an oil change $250 average....
    AND now you know why I became a sponsor of the Spyder Lovers forum
    I kept seeing this type of posts for oil and other things sold at your friendly neighborhood
    dealer and decided to sell everything at DISCOUNT prices to all my Spyder Lovers family.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jcaburto View Post
    Spent about $160.00 and most of my Saturday. But considering that half of that was the Harbor Freight's jack I'll be reusing in the future. I'm a happy camper.
    Lamonster's oil change kit had all I needed. Including a couple of candy to get the oil flavor off my mouth.

It did get a little messy but it was my first oil change ever so it was to be expected. I'm sure next one will go better.

Spyder Garage

Hi Lew,

Re: Get out the ol' Dremel tool and open up the 2 holes in the plastic where the 2 drain bolts are. You'll be happy you did this.

I did my first oil change last year. I emailed Gene De Laney ( Chupaca on here ) a few times with some questions as I went along ( thanks bunchly Gene ). This year I did it myself.

I had the same idea as you; only I used a hole saw to enlarge those two holes. IMO This does help a lot in doing oil changes, and keeps the mess a little lower.

Great advice for those DIY'ers,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

on that successful first oil change. You did save a bunch of dollars. Those $300 plus dealer oil changes are par, but very expensive. My last dealer change on the Kawi 900 was $75.

I cannot get down under either bike so they have me where they want me. Glad it is currently only once a year on the Spyders.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your replies. It's a 2013 RTL by the way.

Two mistakes I made (or at least that I noticed).
    1.- When the oil coming out of the tank got to just drops I decided to put the valve back on just to hold the dripping while I moved the pan around. The thing is I forgot to open it again and so when I removed
    the little HCM filter a bunch of oil came out of it and spilled all over. After that I opened the valve again and more oil came out of the tank for which I wasn't prepared for
    Because of the awkward position of the HCM it was hard to get it all cleaned out.

2.- I filled the tank with 4 quarts of oil. Ran it and the level was pretty low to almost nothing. So I ended up adding one more quart. Rode for about 5 mins. and the level was way too high. Then I noticed
    a drip on the floor. Lifted it again, dismantled it and found the oil was coming off from somewhere near the HCM. I figured it was part of the oil I could not get cleaned out earlier.
    Nevertheless I siphoned about 1/2 quart to bring the level to normal and I'm hoping that'll take care of it. We'll see tomorrow after work.

The hardest part of it all was that top bolt on the engine filter cap.
    Julio Aburto

2013 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Hi Julio,
    I take off a couple of extra pieces of tupperware and use a 10" extension on the socket for the oil filter. Then it's all easy. BTW---- a battery powered screw gun with the proper Torx drive and magic mirrors make this a quick and easy removal.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 10-15-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: name change
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

What do you do with the used oil?
    Would a mechanic shop take it?
    Julio Aburto

2013 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default used oil

What do you do with the used oil?
    Would a mechanic shop take it?

Hi Julio,

You can dispose of the used oil at any auto parts store, like auto zone or advanced auto. no differet than automotive oil disposal.
    2012 Can Am spyder RSS
    Weekend rider

Spyder Garage

$200.00 if you bring it over here!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

What type of jack you got from Harbor Freight? I'm considering getting one. Can you post a picture? Thanks
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    What type of jack you got from Harbor Freight? I'm considering getting one. Can you post a picture? Thanks
    lift.jpg

Item # 60536
    Min. height: 5½" enough clearance for my RT.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-60536.html

My only complain about this is the speed of the drop. You have to be extremely careful when stepping on the release pedal as it will bring down your spyder way too fast.
    I work for PowerLift, we were one of the first ones to bring this exact same jack about 20 years a go for Costco and Advance and we had HD customers complaining about this issue. So we modified the release valve to where the jack would only come down if the load was heavy enough and even if you put your whole weight on the release pedal, the load would come down very slowly. Unfortunately Harbor Freight won the race and we discontinued it.
    I sold the last replacement jack about 3 weeks a go. One week later I ended up buying this one from HF. I should have saved a jack for myself.
    Last edited by jcaburto; 10-19-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    Julio Aburto

2013 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

lift.jpg

Item # 60536
    Min. height: 5½" enough clearance for my RT.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-60536.html

My only complain about this is the speed of the drop. You have to be extremely careful when stepping on the release pedal as it will bring down your spyder way too fast.
    I work for PowerLift, we were one of the first ones to bring this exact same jack about 20 years a go for Costco and Advance and we had HD customers complaining about this issue. So we modified the release valve to where the jack would only come down if the load was heavy enough and even if you put your whole weight on the release pedal, the load would come down very slowly. Unfortunately Harbor Freight won the race and we discontinued it.
    I sold the last replacement jack about 3 weeks a go. One week later I ended up buying this one from HF. I should have saved a jack for myself.
    Thanks, i'm getting one today. One last question: I know that it takes a 36mm low profile socket for the filter. How about the two drain plugs? is it Torx, Allen and what size?
    Is that all I need, as far as tools? I'm ready to do my first oil change (last one I had dealer do it for $427.00) Rip off.....
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"