Spyder Garage

Default From Bad to Worse after I jinxed myself.

BAD KEY. Neither key works.

An hour away from home on the first ride after the dealer installed new battery. Dealer says keys ok. ECU update performed yesterday. Unit not recognizing keys was the job performed but the bike finally started and ran when I brought it in. So...the computer picked up zero codes. Nothing wrong.

So I should have listened to Chupaca--- ooouch!!!

There have been a lot of DESS codes that require replacing the ignition switch. They do start with the hit and miss but eventually go bad. Have it checked out with the dealer. Low battery does not give a bad key warning....

So. Can anyone tell me which components I will need to replace. I surly don't want to dig into this but I will not pay shop rates. That leave me. Anybody have this done and have part numbers? I guess it is not only the ignition switch but also a sending unit. Is this true?

Any information is appreciated. I had other plans for my shop this winter.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

It sounds like the antenna for the dess.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

What year is your spyder?

I( Deanna777) started a thread" DESS KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 8/13/2015.

On the above thread there is a lot of great/ good info about the D.E.S.S. It is a long thread. On that thread this a list of the part #'s for the: D.E.S.S. module, Ignition, Switch.

**** I have a 2014RTS-SE6 and I have had the D.E.S.S. module replaced twice/and the ignition switch replaced/ the dealership reprogramed both of my keys, and gave me a new trailer lock. Both times the D.E.S.S. module and the switch was under the warranty.******

Does your spyder have any warranty left?

If so, have your dealership **** open up a case with BRP*****

Good luck!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default What she said....

Denna777
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    What year is your spyder?

I( Deanna777) started a thread" DESS KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 8/13/2015.

On the above thread there is a lot of great/ good info about the D.E.S.S. It is a long thread. On that thread this a list of the part #'s for the: D.E.S.S. module, Ignition, Switch.

**** I have a 2014RTS-SE6 and I have had the D.E.S.S. module replaced twice/and the ignition switch replaced/ the dealership reprogramed both of my keys, and gave me a new trailer lock. Both times the D.E.S.S. module and the switch was under the warranty.******

Does your spyder have any warranty left?

If so, have your dealership **** open up a case with BRP*****

Good luck!

Deanna
    Oh! This was my post from just a day or two ago. This conversation transmogrified into the one we are having now.
    Vacuum lines on 2011 RT-SM5

As soon as I got the information on the vacuum lines the first BAD KEY error showed. Then my next post was about being jinxed. Then this post about being jinxed and it getting worse. SO, as you can guess, no warranty here.
    Thanks. And thanks for the info.

Sorry Deanna. I started this thread just before getting jinxed: Vacuum lines on 2011 RT-sm5. In addition something that I have not said but might be important is that when my display says BAD KEY, the background is orange. Is that bad?
    Last edited by daz; 10-14-2018 at 05:57 AM.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Orange not great !

Wondering if service did the keys correct ? Watched video , with finless Bob , he put some thought into it , something I took to heart , 3 keys including original ,so I purchased 2 , but the program process that Bob mentioned , when program make sure the process is totally complete , on board computer will tell you or person doing the keys , it is complete... doing 2 keys seems to be almost complete keyed process ? So I wonder if this is the case ?...

Spyder Garage

Default Possible interference ?

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    It sounds like the antenna for the dess.
    I know with the Indian cycle , a cellphone in between the key fob will cause a loss of signal , ( could be , if you are using GPS , blue tooth intercoms , this might interfere with key communication ? )

Spyder Garage

BadKey.jpg
    This is the problem.
    No gps, cell phones, interferences. Keys were not programmed.
    Last edited by daz; 10-14-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    Oh! This was my post from just a day or two ago. This conversation transmogrified into the one we are having now.
    Vacuum lines on 2011 RT-SM5

As soon as I got the information on the vacuum lines the first BAD KEY error showed. Then my next post was about being jinxed. Then this post about being jinxed and it getting worse. SO, as you can guess, no warranty here.
    Thanks. And thanks for the info.

Sorry Deanna. I started this thread just before getting jinxed: Vacuum lines on 2011 RT-sm5. In addition something that I have not said but might be important is that when my display says BAD KEY, the background is orange. Is that bad?
    Don,

Yes, the ORANGE in the background is bad, that is part of the D.E.S.S. error.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

BadKey.jpg
    This is the problem.
    Thanks for the picture.

That is only the DEATH screen. Get if fixed as soon as you can, before you get stranded.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

BadKey.jpg
    This is the problem.
    Hey Daz. Our system operates differently than the ones discussed in those threads about the 2014 machines. The chip in the key is hard coded and stored in the computer. Unless something happened in the home / shop that corrupted that coding in the chips, or caused both key chips to fail at the same time, my money is on that the module - what you called the sending unit - has failed or there is a plug / wiring harness issue between the module and the ignition switch. The antenna is in that plastic ring. There is a lot of stuff to take apart to get in there. According to the manual, if only a new module is installed, you can reprogram the key info into the computer without needing a Master Key because it comes up in programming mode when it is first turned on. A new module is about 140 bucks, although the parts listing for 2011 machines didn't look right. I got that info from the 2012 listing. If you think it's a key issue, then new keys must be ordered, cut and reprogrammed into the computer, plus a Master Key is needed. And the way I read that, you need at least one working key in order to reprogram additional keys. If neither one of yours works, you may need a new module anyway just to allow programming of brand new keys. That part I'm not certain of, sounds like a Catch 22, but appears to be what it says.

If you want to do this job yourself, I think you could benefit from getting a repair manual and read all of this for yourself:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2011-C...item3ce521c64d

and you might want to read through this thread and watch Finless Bob's videos:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...red-Master-Key

Or, you could take in back to Johnny K's and say "FIX IT". Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 10-15-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thank you Doug. After reading through most of Deanna's pages on DESS problems I could see the 2011 is different. Where there many of the pre 14 bikes with this problem?

BadKey.jpgI won't be back home to Ohio for two weeks and will address this problem then. I will be sure to report back when I learn something. Too bad there is no way to override the entire DESS system.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Thank you Doug. After reading through most of Deanna's pages on DESS problems I could see the 2011 is different. Where there many of the pre 14 bikes with this problem?

BadKey.jpgI won't be back home to Ohio for two weeks and will address this problem then. I will be sure to report back when I learn something. Too bad there is no way to override the entire DESS system.

No, generally the 2013 and prior units have very few DESS problems. It also cannot be disabled easily in those older bikes.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame