Thread: Spyder wave

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder wave

I was riding the Black Hills back in September. Everyone needs to put that area on their riding bucket list. I saw quite a few Spyders while I was there. Most motorcycles I pass will give me the customary finger pointing down wave. However, most Spyders I see give me an emotional, happy wave. Like we recognize each other as family. I bet H-D riders ( or Indian or Victoty, etc) don't react that way to each other.

Spyder Garage

Waves will vary. We always give other bikers a wave. No special hand signs or anything like that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Waves will vary. We always give other bikers a wave. No special hand signs or anything like that.
    I agree. Whenever safe to, I wave at any and all cycles, including the odd scooter. They’re out with the wind in their face, just as I am. Nothing special in the wave, and not even the same wave......all i’m doing is acknowledging another biker.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

I wave at everybody. Scooters, crotch rockets, Spyders, & even HDs. Since riding my Spyder, I started giving a 3 finger wave. Kinda like the HD one finger pointed downward except I extend 3 fingers......thumb, index and middle fingers. Some may think it is some kind of secret or gang signal. I'll just keep them guessing. To me, the three finger wave has obvious meaning.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I wave at everybody. Scooters, crotch rockets, Spyders, & even HDs. Since riding my Spyder, I started giving a 3 finger wave. Kinda like the HD one finger pointed downward except I extend 3 fingers......thumb, index and middle fingers. Some may think it is some kind of secret or gang signal. I'll just keep them guessing. To me, the three finger wave has obvious meaning.....

I do the same thing, not because I thought it had a meaning but because it seemed more natural for me. I guess I was born to ryde a spyder
    2016 RTL "Boris"

Foam Grips
    Utopia Backrest
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Bajaron sway bar
    LED Bumpskid w/remote
    Belt guard
    BRT rear lighting w/strobe
    High mount BRT w/strobe
    Dual a-arm LEDs w/turn signals
    Multicolor underground Halo lighting
    LED headlights and foglights
    FOBO TPMS
    Techgripper phone holder
    Lidlox
    Dual USB with voltmeter
    Dakota Digital Compass/Clock/Altimeter/Temperature Gauge
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55R15 - Fronts
    General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 - Rear

Spyder Garage

Default Face in the wind....

I'm from WI, the home of Harley. I have ridden Harleys, until now with my first toe dipped into the Spyder world. I have dipped my hand in greeting to anyone in the wind, with any kind of bike, 2 or 3 wheels. We all share the freedom of wind therapy. I've met the nicest people on Harleys and now am looking forward to adding Spyder Ryders to my list of friends. Thanks for the great site here... lots of good information and great people!
    Last edited by WisconsinDavid; 10-12-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default I wave to all

Every motorcycle and scooter get the ole peace sign from me. I don't drop the wave low like I used to with my motorcycle; nope, I make sure they see that I'm passing on my greetings. In return nearly everyone salutes me back

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Smile The Wave......

I wave or wave back to most all on two or 3 wheels. I'm giving the OK sign with the last 3 fingers pointed downward . I know some dweebs think this is a " white power" gang sign. I'm not of that ilk by a looong shot even though I do have their preferred hair cut.

On the old, slow V-Max I just wave as most bikers do.

LewL
    Last edited by Lew L; 10-13-2018 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Mr.Max wave
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Confusing....

All kinds of waves some with meanings to different groups so I now just put my arm straight out with had out like an eagals wing tip...middle of the sweep and wave to all....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did a 6,000+ mile trip years ago that included the Black Hills and it was awesome.
    I agree with the ecstatic wave from Spyder owner and the constipated finger down I get from Harley meatheads.
    Harleys are the least ridden of the major brands as per Motorcycle Consumer News yet their owners think they are the "real" bikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    I was riding the Black Hills back in September. Everyone needs to put that area on their riding bucket list. I saw quite a few Spyders while I was there. Most motorcycles I pass will give me the customary finger pointing down wave. However, most Spyders I see give me an emotional, happy wave. Like we recognize each other as family. I bet H-D riders ( or Indian or Victoty, etc) don't react that way to each other.

Spyder Garage

I wave to any 2 or 3 wheeler.
    No special finger position. that's a lot of crap in my opinion.
    Yep, wave at any brand and see no reason to bash HD or those who ride them.
    Have never understood why some feel it is necessary to bash Harley riders and bikes at every opportunity.
    Don't like 'em or their bike, or the way they ride? So what? Why waste your time badmouthing them? What does it prove?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    Have never understood why some feel it is necessary to bash Harley riders and bikes at every opportunity.
    Don't like 'em or their bike, or the way they ride? So what? Why waste your time badmouthing them? What does it prove?

+1 on the Harley bashing, rode one for years, many friends still ride them and I find no need to bash.

johnv
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After owning an Ultra Classic FLHTCUI and being a member of HOG I'll bash those meatheads as often as I can.
    After HOG actually posted not to give an enthusiastic wave to other brands I'll badmouth those meatheads too.
    After all my Harley friends brag about how much they spend on Harleys yet refuse to ride I'll bash them too.
    I'll badmouth every Harley meathead who tells me his bike is "American" even though Harley says its not.
    I'll badmouth Harley meatheads because they all must wear their stupid Harley Hats, Harley jackets, Harley boots so they form fit, like meatheads.
    I'll badmouth any Harley meathead who refuses to wave while they have that stupid constipated I just suffered a stroke look on their face.
    ……….and I'll badmouth Harley whenever and wherever I want because why not, they've earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post

Spyder Garage

My original intent in my post was to emphasis how the Spyder community feels like a real family. In my opinion, more so than other manufacturers. I did not intend to re-ignite the wave debate or bash other riders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are very correct.
    Why the Spyder community is as friendly as it is is because we don't look down at other brands.
    The only "community" that looks down on others are Harley owners.
    All my friends have Harleys and the crap they spew is simply amazing and none ride more then 1,000 miles a year.
    So I'm in a routine now of badmouthing Harleys and anyone who thinks Harley is American.

My original intent in my post was to emphasis how the Spyder community feels like a real family. In my opinion, more so than other manufacturers. I did not intend to re-ignite the wave debate or bash other riders.

Spyder Garage

Victory people are also like that, maybe not real enthusiastic but we do tend to be more of a family. Polaris kicked Victory to the curb so we are now the orphan children of a dead brand.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That made me laugh....thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
    Victory people are also like that, maybe not real enthusiastic but we do tend to be more of a family. Polaris kicked Victory to the curb so we are now the orphan children of a dead brand.

Spyder Garage

Might be more of a West River thing but it seems most bikers around here wave, just we are more enthusiastic when meeting other Spyders. Western Nebraska, Western North Dakota and Wyoming seem to be that way too. My theory is because we are more spread out here. Even do the finger wave when driving on 4 wheels.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    You are very correct.
    Why the Spyder community is as friendly as it is is because we don't look down at other brands.
    The only "community" that looks down on others are Harley owners.
    All my friends have Harleys and the crap they spew is simply amazing and none ride more then 1,000 miles a year.
    So I'm in a routine now of badmouthing Harleys and anyone who thinks Harley is American.
    You might be right? There is a guy at the end of my street who is always Polishing his Red Harley by the roadside when I leave AND when I come back- But I Rarely see him on it?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

This is interesting, the same subject just came up on the Valkyrie forum I follow. My waves depend on my mood. Anything from standard low wave, to a raised fist. My favorites are the UH Cougars hand sign, or the surfs up pinky and thumb. I am a two wheeler, my wife is the Spyder rider. She and her local friends developed an enthusiastic Forrest Gump wave that they use with each other.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All my buddy's and their wives are Harley meatheads.
    They polish their "HOGs" daily.
    They dress fashionably in Harley attire.....constantly.
    They go "religiously" to every Harley dealership when we go RVing.
    Then I say...."lets go riding"......and all I hear are stupid meathead excuses why today is not good.
    They even brag how they never had to buy MC tires for their bikes and the money they save.
    and they get mad when I call them meatheads, go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    You might be right? There is a guy at the end of my street who is always Polishing his Red Harley by the roadside when I leave AND when I come back- But I Rarely see him on it?