Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Chances of a plug in electric Spyder...

I ended up going down a YouTube rabbit hole the other day. I was watching reviews about electric motorcycles, (Zero SR for example) and it got me to thinking.

Given the size and stability of the Spyder, does anybody think it would make a good platform for an electric three wheeler?

Would you buy one?

My opinion; I think it is a great platform. It should be large enough to have enough battery storage for some impressive range and since we don't need to hold up the weight of batteries, you could have a decent size bank in there.

Would I buy one? I think so, if there was a way to fast charge while out on the road like Tesla does with their Supercharger charging stations.

Spyder Garage

BRP built a prototype a while back; we saw it during the tours at Homecoming. IIRC they said to get any decent range it would have to be extremely heavy and they couldn't actually get enough battery in it.

I'm sure someone will correct my faulty memory soon
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Yup... saw the one at the homecoming. Talked to the engineers and those who had driven it. They had to pull the DPS because it pulls too much power. We talked about having a trailer with extra batteries in it.. but you're really fighting weight vs. battery power and the numbers currently don't work for a production model. Batteries need to be lighter and cheaper.

I'd need to see 150 - 200 miles on a charge before I'd consider one.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default I'd buy one.

If BRP could build one that got at least 150 miles to a charge, direct drive, and still kept the F3 look/style, I'd buy.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

BRP had an Eco version of Spyder. They got government (Canadian) funding for the project. We speculated about it back a few years ago. I am thinking slim chance. I don't see people buying a $40K Spyder with low miles between re-charges. I will see if I can come up with a photo from the archives.

I did an April Fool with it twice.
    2013: 4600 + viewed it and 19 comments
    2017: 1300 + viewed it and 29 comments

A reprint shown below. PS. I said I would not repeat the April Fool.

BRP announced today that the new Can Am Hybrid Roadster would be available in June of 2017. It is a combination of an electric powered unit with a small back up Rotax engine. Mileage on the electric charge is said to be a hundred miles plus (no typo here) and another hundred and twenty five miles on the rotax.

The model will be come in a Premier Edition only and there will only be 250 made for the year 2017. Cost is an unbelievable $36,999. (I was predicting in the $40K or higher range.)

Just a quick FYI.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-08-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They floated the concept back in 2011 with a hybrid version.

This time around, I think they should test market an E-Ryker version using the cheaper base platform - The Ryker would be ideal; riders who won't need a lot of range.
    Last edited by asp125; 10-08-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    BRP had an Eco version of Spyder. They got government (Canadian) funding for the project. We speculated about it back a few years ago. I am thinking slim chance. I don't see people buying a $40K Spyder with low miles between re-charges. I will see if I can come up with a photo from the archives.
    had one I could find quick
    IMG_3187.jpg Just got to wait on electrical improvements for a happy outcome

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    had one I could find quick
    IMG_3187.jpg Just got to wait on electrical improvements for a happy outcome
    the picture I showed above was rumored to be a plastic shell only--NO MOTOR.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I think it would make an excellent platform,infact I think it would make a great hybrid platform. And yes I would buy one.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Some of the stories I read from back in 2016 indicated a range of 105 miles on their prototype.

I would like to think that current battery technology has improved over the last 2 years.
    Maybe not to the point of 200 mile range without weighing in like a Chevy Suburban but it has to be somewhat better.

Not sure how they could get around the DPS and it's draw.
    Maybe a hydraulic system with a small pump driven off the same motor as the main drive when in motion and an electric pump for when stationary.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder how close to reality is this video?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd buy a Zero: they've already have stretched the range on some of their models out to almost 200 miles...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I think in order to be a viable vehicle for purchase an electric/hybrid Spyder would need to get at least 150 miles per charge and the recharge time would have to be in minutes, not hours. The Tesla super charge station is a good idea, but how many of these are going to be found in Nowhere, USA when you need them. No, this will have to be a vehicle that can recharge in minutes from a standard electrical outlet, or be capable of recharging itself, before I would consider purchasing one. Lets face it, with current battery limitations in place and cost projections an electrically powered Spyder is going to be expensive and will no doubt be limited to a few niche markets/customers, mainly urban in nature.

The enticement for me isn't an electric vehicle per se, it's the fact that an electrically powered vehicle has unlimited speed potential which equates to big time fun while still having the ability to be relatively economical to operate. The downside is that BRP will no doubt put a severe cap on how much "fun" someone will be allowed to pursue with their electrically powered Spyder. There is also no doubt in my mind that the future is bright for electrically powered vehicles of all types, but I fear their full potential will not be realized for many, many years when batteries are much smaller, lighter, cheaper and more powerful and offer much greater range than what is available today. Until that time arrives and God willing I live so long, I will rely on fossil fueled vehicles to get me to and from while having some fun at the same time.

Rick H.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    BRP built a prototype a while back; we saw it during the tours at Homecoming. IIRC they said to get any decent range it would have to be extremely heavy and they couldn't actually get enough battery in it.

I'm sure someone will correct my faulty memory soon
    I also talked to the one who was using it daylight and he told me the range when used carefully was 80km, but when driven hard it dropped to about 27km. He told me that until batteries advanced that this was not close to being consumer ready
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

the picture I showed above was rumored to be a plastic shell only--NO MOTOR.
    K thanks guess i missed that part, did save it few years back

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Problem I see is that currently advancements in the EV field are that rapid and far ranging by the time something comes to market it's old tech from the get go,like all electronic stuff.Got to start somewhere though but it won't be my money subsidising the roll outs just yet.I'm all for saving the planet but don't have a bottomless pit of resources to help out.Needs to mature a bit more for the majority I would say.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Electric vehicles are the CFL's of light bulbs. The idea is good at heart but in reality they don't work well for most consumers. It's a shame we've wasted as much time on them as we have really.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Electric vehicles are the CFL's of light bulbs. The idea is good at heart but in reality they don't work well for most consumers. It's a shame we've wasted as much time on them as we have really.
    Disagree. Electric powered vehicles are the future and will become the norm.
    Now, how that power is generated to make them go is another thing altogether.
    You see, even if it was a fuel cell vehicle... it's still electric. All the future technologies will be using an electric drivetrain.
    Some major players are changing to all electric vehicles within 10-15 years.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

The Honda NeoWing prototype is hybrid. Hybrid seems to be the most viable method with onboard charging if possible and brake energy recovery.

The added ability to plug in while stopping for a snack at gas stations with power setups helps too.

Spyder Garage

At homecoming I talked with the engineers about it. They said it really came down to cost. They have batteries that would give them the range they wanted, but they were very expensive to produce. They thought the retail price would be over 70k USD for a production model. That means the market would be very limited if any at that price point. When the technology gets to the point that they can build an Electric Spyder for the same price or only a few thousand more than the gas version they will sell one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not interested.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Disagree. Electric powered vehicles are the future and will become the norm.
    Now, how that power is generated to make them go is another thing altogether.
    You see, even if it was a fuel cell vehicle... it's still electric. All the future technologies will be using an electric drivetrain.
    Some major players are changing to all electric vehicles within 10-15 years.
    I sort of disagree...
    This Country is just too large, and the electric grid itself isn't robust enough...
    When it takes four or five long days to traverse the Continent with our current gas-powered vehicles; how long will it take to manage the same trip using battery power?
    Your travel range is too short...
    Your recharge times are too long...

While electrically powered vehicles may prove to ultimately be the future: it's HOW the power is generated, that will be the breakthrough.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did an April Fool with it twice.
    2013: 4600 + viewed it and 19 comments
    2017: 1300 + viewed it and 29 comments

A reprint shown below. PS. I said I would not repeat the April Fool.

finance@ricedelman.com
    BRP announced today that the new Can Am Hybrid Roadster would be available in June of 2017. It is a combination of an electric powered unit with a small back up Rotax engine. Mileage on the electric charge is said to be a hundred miles plus (no typo here) and another hundred and twenty five miles on the rotax.

The model will be come in a Premier Edition only and there will only be 250 made for the year 2017. Cost is an unbelievable $36,999. (I was predicting in the $40K or higher range.)

Just a quick FYI.
    Egads, who among us is gonna fork out $40K for this machine? For the few who can and will, not worth the production for BRP.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    At homecoming I talked with the engineers about it. They said it really came down to cost. They have batteries that would give them the range they wanted, but they were very expensive to produce. They thought the retail price would be over 70k USD for a production model. That means the market would be very limited if any at that price point. When the technology gets to the point that they can build an Electric Spyder for the same price or only a few thousand more than the gas version they will sell one.
    They need to talk to Elon over at Tesla. You can buy 2 model 3's for that price! (maybe not 2 but still...)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZinAz View Post
    They need to talk to Elon over at Tesla. You can buy 2 model 3's for that price! (maybe not 2 but still...)
    Also, for that price point, you can buy two hybrid Prius cars that gets 70 mpg and $ left to buy more regular fuel. Not dissing the proto type Spyder, jus sayin.