Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I have had bad belt vibration since day one .I think i have it fixed now ,with the help of fellow spyder lovers .THANKS
    I got the handling better by adjusting the toe in .
    Can not use the the BRP connect ,as i refuse to buy an expensive phone to make things work that should have come standard.
    The radio is a big fail ,very poor reception ,and can not hear it at speeds.

Now to the good things.
    The wife is more comfy on as a passenger than any bike i have owned ( and i have owned tons of bikes ).
    I have never dropped it ,thats a big plus.
    Never had a break down .
    10000 km of close to trouble free miles .

At my age this bike will be my last ,hope to not have to much problems on the way .

2018 rtl dark
    Last edited by stmike 1800; 10-16-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like to keep things real.
    Every bike I have owned in the last 30+ years has had issues with my Harley Ultra being by far the worst.
    My Spyder F3s is coming in as 2nd place winner in lack of reliability.
    I'm not a salesman nor do I wish to be.
    If you buy a Spyder (or any bike) you should know EXACTLY what you are walking into.
    I knew I was walking away from a trust brand (Honda) and into unknown territory so I'm not mad.
    The fix is easy....sell my Spyder and go running back to Honda.
    I'm not giving up on my F3s just yet because I haven't had my 3rd failure....(3 and your out!)…..yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
    Ya know Road Kill I don't think it is a matter of anyone enjoying their break downs on a Spyder and I certainly can't speak to it as I don't own a Spyder. In fact today I stopped at the nearest Spyder dealer and looked at the left over RT's they have on sale. I like the grey dark version, but something in the back of my mind just won't let me pull the trigger and buy one while they are on sale. It could be your comments, which are quite vocal, or other issues I have read about. I am a confirmed BMW owner who came from Harley. I have had 5 BMW's and over 12 new Harleys before the Beemers. Almost every one of my bikes has at some point required going back to the shop for something, but only one broke down on me and left me stranded. That was a 2002 Road Glide that made it about 14 miles from the dealership before it broke down due to a bad stator. That Road Glide, although it was the nicest Harley I ever owned was also the last I would ever own. It listed for about 15K and after I got done putting another 5K into it to turn it into a Road Glide Ultra, which they didn't make back then, I tried to trade it in a year and a half later and could only get 14.5K on trade. Bye-Bye Harley along with their crap about 10 cents on every dollar back on accessories at trade-in time.

Went over to the Dark Side and bought a BMW 1200LT and switched to the K1600 series and they have made great strides in refining that bike since my first one in 2012. Unfortunately for me K1600's don't bring back a lot of trade-in value in my area, so switching to a Spyder RT is going to be a costly affair. The saving grace is that the sale price now offered on Spyder's makes up for some of the monetary shock. Even with the savings I am having a hard time convincing myself that a Spyder is a worthwhile purchase. I have read about the dreaded DESS issues and a few other glitches and actually making the switch is difficult for me. Reliability aside on a Spyder, the lack of horsepower concerns me as my K1600 pushes out quite a bit more, but I almost never use it which is rather sad. In retrospect though I have to ask myself if I really need that much horsepower at 67 years old? Part of me says yes and part says no, not anymore. But will I miss it on a Spyder? I don't know....decisions, decisions. Your posts certainly don't make my decisions any easier. So in some respects you have accomplished one of your underlying goals of keeping potential customers away from buying a Spyder.

I have a few more days to think this through and hopefully I will make the right call for me. From a personal standpoint though if I suffered two similar breakdowns on my K1600 I would certainly find a common thread as to what is taking place. If a drive belt pulley or bolts are breaking there has to be a reason and just replacing the parts and waiting for it to break again isn't repairing the underlying problem. So all I can say is good luck finding the real cause of your pulley problem and quite possibly you saved me from making a decision I may regret later on.

Rick H.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Love our Spyders have two, 2018 F3 limited, and 2018 RT. Traded in two for these, 2015 RT and 2016 RTS. Love em. Live in South Dakota, just waiting for BRP to install heaters so we can ride year round. LOL
    2018 F3 Limited , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Default Positive Coments

Quote Originally Posted by Chefex View Post
    Love our Spyders have two, 2018 F3 limited, and 2018 RT. Traded in two for these, 2015 RT and 2016 RTS. Love em. Live in South Dakota, just waiting for BRP to install heaters so we can ride year round. LOL
    They did kind of install Heaters on the 2013's , my wife and I had two of them and we still were happy spyder owners, we switched to the 1340's be cause we wanted the better mileage and less maintenance. Like i said before, our riding has not been 100% trouble free but we have no fear of climbing on our RTLs and setting off on a 1 or 2 week trip.
    Glacier Park Ride 096.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Once I ignore the lack of a decent sized trunk, crummy cruiser riding position, 200+ HP, chain drive, 17" wheels with REAL independent braking systems, and dual mini guns it's really a pretty fun ride!

I have to admit the F3S is a better all around machine than my old 2012 RSS [excepting the trunk and riding position ], and have enjoyed many hassle free miles on it this season.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i often get 'it looks fun to ride' & 'looks great'

Spyder Garage

I agree with your point of view. I am fascinated with the spyder. I do agree that more often people will post negative comments then positive. But on the other side of the coin is if I have a question Like I would like to know if there are any major problems with the 2015 F3S as I am looking to purchase one and not dump a lot of cash on a problem child. A little concerned about the automatic transmission as I am not very familiar with them. I would like positive, neutral and negative comments so that I can make an educated decision. Taking into consideration that there are thousands of these out there. Thank you for your input